Back to Moral Foundations of Politics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Moral Foundations of Politics by Yale University

When do governments deserve our allegiance, and when should they be denied it? This course explores the main answers that have been given to this question in the modern West. We start with a survey of the major political theories of the Enlightenment: Utilitarianism, Marxism, and the social contract tradition. In each case, we begin with a look at classical formulations, locating them in historical context, but then shift to the contemporary debates as they relate to politics today. Next, we turn to the rejection of Enlightenment political thinking, again exploring both classical and contemporary formulations. The last part of the course deals with the nature of, and justifications for, democratic politics, and their relations to Enlightenment and Anti-Enlightenment political thinking. In addition to exploring theoretical differences among the various authors discussed, considerable attention is devoted to the practical implications of their competing arguments. To this end, we discuss a variety of concrete problems, including debates about economic inequality, affirmative action and the distribution of health care, the limits of state power in the regulation of speech and religion, and difficulties raised by the emerging threat of global environmental decay....

MS

Sep 17, 2015

excellant work dont by Dr Ian Shapiro and staff on putting such a mind turning,thought provoking MOOC on a complex and ever controversial subject known as POLITICS!..I hope to see more from them soon

NK

Dec 30, 2015

The Course (Moral Foundations of Politics ) is an important subject for Politicains and the students of Political science. Prof. Ian Shapiro's lectureres have good information and most helpful.

1 - 25 of 301 Reviews for Moral Foundations of Politics

By Pablo A R T

May 13, 2019

Es un curso excelente, permite al interesado captar distintos puntos de vista políticos, puestos en contexto temporal.

By Denisse S T

Jun 11, 2019

I have no prior knowledge of political science and I just took this course to have an idea about politics. I learned more than I expected! Kudos to Professor Ian Shapiro, his explanations were thorough and very easy to understand. The students he's talking to were also bright and I learned from them as well.

By Wilhelmus C M L ( L

Apr 16, 2019

I like the course. It goes deep in the matter. the theories are explaind good and graphs are easaly understandable. Thanx for the course

By Daniela Z R

Dec 18, 2018

LO MEJOR!!!!

By Minseo P

Dec 22, 2018

Thanks for the amazing professor that made me understand deeply

By Amjad M

Nov 25, 2018

I learned a lot. The course has very much widened my understanding of the subject. The way Sir Ian Shapiro elaborates is fascinating. I just loved! I'm thankful to Professor Shapiro, Coursera and also to DLSEI.PK who offered this course for free. A lot of love.

By C. m

Nov 25, 2018

Professor spiritual manor provokes a high level of awareness of a higher motivation above “interests “ raising a possibility for a student to feel what they think and their actions can make a more understanding , accecpecting, and peaceful community.

By Marjori P

Nov 27, 2018

I am utterly enjoying the content of this course. The best produced course in Coursera by far.

By Sanja J

Nov 27, 2018

It is an excellent course. I personally recommend it for those who want to get an essential view on the topic. An interactive course, which for me is indispensable when e-learning.

By Jennifer B

Nov 12, 2018

This was a great course and the professor in particular was great! He was very engaging, I liked having the two students with him as he went through it; a large class would have not worked as well and I'm sure that having an instructor just stare at a camera or even just click through Power Point slides, would have been much less interesting. Overall, I think the course was awesome, very informative, well put together, and had a great natural flow, mostly do to the instructor's conversational style and his interactions with the students. I love to learn and I love politics so the class was a no-brainer but ended up being better than I had anticipated (this is my first course through Coursera). I highly recommend it!

By Syeda S

Nov 29, 2018

This course was no doubt a great and full of knowledge course.Teaching method and especially the engaging method of professor Shiparo wad ausome.Before study of this course i had nothing knowledge about world politics especially interm of throries and their application.

By Narmin S N S

Jan 19, 2019

I really enjoy Professor Shapiro's methods of explaining, I don't have much knowledge about politics and some concepts were new to me, but he explained them in such a way that I had no trouble understanding!

I also really appreciated the idea of having two students present discussing and arguing with the professor, it added so much to the course and they asked many questions on behalf of many of us I am sure.

By Danielle M

Jan 09, 2019

What a mind Dr. Schapiro has. Incredible course. Take it!

By ERIVAN R

Feb 18, 2019

Exelentt!!!

By Paul M

Feb 20, 2019

This course is a must try.

By Umesh S

Mar 05, 2019

Good

By Jairo G P

Mar 03, 2019

O professor é incrível. Suas explicações são claras e sua críticas são acertadíssimas. Parabéns Yale e Coursera, por nos proporcionar esse curso maravilhoso. Adorando!

By manuel e v s

Feb 21, 2019

Excelente curso que analiza en profundidad grandes temas relacionadas con la política y el pensar filosófico de algunos autores

By Berna ö

Mar 04, 2019

thank you for this course İt was really so enlightening to compare the period of political thought on public policy . I really appriciated Shapiro's guide for understanding with the examples of everyday life.

By Carlos A M

Mar 07, 2019

Great and acknowledging course!

By Luís G S

By Mohit k

content awsome

By Paz O

Mar 12, 2019

Muy buen curso, me sirvió mucho para la reflexión y poder plantear mis inquietudes de mejor forma con mayor fundamento.