Back to Moral Foundations of Politics

Moral Foundations of Politics , Yale University

About this Course

When do governments deserve our allegiance, and when should they be denied it? This course explores the main answers that have been given to this question in the modern West. We start with a survey of the major political theories of the Enlightenment: Utilitarianism, Marxism, and the social contract tradition. In each case, we begin with a look at classical formulations, locating them in historical context, but then shift to the contemporary debates as they relate to politics today. Next, we turn to the rejection of Enlightenment political thinking, again exploring both classical and contemporary formulations. The last part of the course deals with the nature of, and justifications for, democratic politics, and their relations to Enlightenment and Anti-Enlightenment political thinking. In addition to exploring theoretical differences among the various authors discussed, considerable attention is devoted to the practical implications of their competing arguments. To this end, we discuss a variety of concrete problems, including debates about economic inequality, affirmative action and the distribution of health care, the limits of state power in the regulation of speech and religion, and difficulties raised by the emerging threat of global environmental decay....

By MS

Sep 17, 2015

excellant work dont by Dr Ian Shapiro and staff on putting such a mind turning,thought provoking MOOC on a complex and ever controversial subject known as POLITICS!..I hope to see more from them soon

By NK

Dec 30, 2015

The Course (Moral Foundations of Politics ) is an important subject for Politicains and the students of Political science. Prof. Ian Shapiro's lectureres have good information and most helpful.

247 Reviews

By ERIVAN RESMINI

Feb 18, 2019

Exelentt!!!

By Narmin Saleh Nur Sindeeri

Jan 19, 2019

I really enjoy Professor Shapiro's methods of explaining, I don't have much knowledge about politics and some concepts were new to me, but he explained them in such a way that I had no trouble understanding!

I also really appreciated the idea of having two students present discussing and arguing with the professor, it added so much to the course and they asked many questions on behalf of many of us I am sure.

By Danielle Mehta

Jan 09, 2019

What a mind Dr. Schapiro has. Incredible course. Take it!

By Minseo Park

Dec 22, 2018

Thanks for the amazing professor that made me understand deeply

By Daniela Zamudio Rojas

Dec 18, 2018

LO MEJOR!!!!

By Petra Paignton

Dec 16, 2018

An excellent course. The lecturer was engaging, the course was well-paced and well-structured. Excellent readings, and useful revision quizzes. Highly recommended.

By Syeda Sakina

Nov 29, 2018

This course was no doubt a great and full of knowledge course.Teaching method and especially the engaging method of professor Shiparo wad ausome.Before study of this course i had nothing knowledge about world politics especially interm of throries and their application.

By Sanja Jovanovska

Nov 27, 2018

It is an excellent course. I personally recommend it for those who want to get an essential view on the topic. An interactive course, which for me is indispensable when e-learning.

By Marjori Pomarole

Nov 27, 2018

I am utterly enjoying the content of this course. The best produced course in Coursera by far.

By C. morgan

Nov 25, 2018

Professor spiritual manor provokes a high level of awareness of a higher motivation above “interests “ raising a possibility for a student to feel what they think and their actions can make a more understanding , accecpecting, and peaceful community.