Back to Moral Foundations of Politics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Moral Foundations of Politics by Yale University

When do governments deserve our allegiance, and when should they be denied it? This course explores the main answers that have been given to this question in the modern West. We start with a survey of the major political theories of the Enlightenment: Utilitarianism, Marxism, and the social contract tradition. In each case, we begin with a look at classical formulations, locating them in historical context, but then shift to the contemporary debates as they relate to politics today. Next, we turn to the rejection of Enlightenment political thinking, again exploring both classical and contemporary formulations. The last part of the course deals with the nature of, and justifications for, democratic politics, and their relations to Enlightenment and Anti-Enlightenment political thinking. In addition to exploring theoretical differences among the various authors discussed, considerable attention is devoted to the practical implications of their competing arguments. To this end, we discuss a variety of concrete problems, including debates about economic inequality, affirmative action and the distribution of health care, the limits of state power in the regulation of speech and religion, and difficulties raised by the emerging threat of global environmental decay....

Jul 1, 2020

The lectures are easy to understand, the reading materials informative. I thoroughly enjoyed this course and any beginner will be able to grasp the technicalities of Moral Politics after this Course.

MS
Sep 16, 2015

excellant work dont by Dr Ian Shapiro and staff on putting such a mind turning,thought provoking MOOC on a complex and ever controversial subject known as POLITICS!..I hope to see more from them soon

176 - 200 of 922 Reviews for Moral Foundations of Politics

By Samantha R

May 27, 2021

amazing course - the prof is really clear and concise in explaining concepts, and his students' participation really helped in answering questions i didn't even know i had. i learned a lot and i'm glad to have taken this class :)

By Chianh J X

Professor Shapiro provided a very comprehensive review of the past and current political regimes. This was a very thought-provoking course that allowed me to gain a better understanding of the current political scene. Thank you!

By Himmat S

May 1, 2017

The course gives an excellent insight into the topic of a legitimate government.The examples which are discussed before every theory provide thought provoking dialogue and knowledge thus its equally entertaining and intriguing.

By Bernard G

Jun 1, 2019

This course introduces you to the variety of philosophies and political ideologies. It has left me with a much better understanding of political arguments as well as the ability to analyze better interrupt many current issues.

By Abhaysinh M

Mar 13, 2021

The most enriching experience, grateful to Professor Ian Shapiro and his interactive students who helped me understand the various political concepts and ideologies in a very simplified manner. I recommend this course a 100%!

By José M O L

Jun 21, 2020

An excelent introduction to the main aspects of the most important political ideological traditions in our modern history. It is indeed an essential course most people interested or actually involved in politics should take.

By Brenna M

Jun 15, 2020

I loved this course. It was the right amount of challenge and allowed me to learn things that I had never thought of before. Shapiro has a way of holding your attention which is really good as there was never a dull moment.

By Andrea

Jun 22, 2017

Love this course. Getting through the first couple lectures gets you hooked on the sharp insights of Prof. Shapiro and takes you though the intricacies of politics, economics and justice. Very interesting. Very stimulating.

By Juan C B

Jun 10, 2020

I really liked it, I really appreciated being able to read authors again from different points of view and refresh the different perspectives of contemporary aspects within life and politics.

Very thankful

Sincerily,

Juan

By Hazard G W

Jan 7, 2016

Superbly taught and enlightening course - this material seems to include a lot of the foundations of today's public discourse. The small seminar and occasionally Socratic method by a master teacher is highly effective.

By Yuri P

Sep 28, 2015

La forma en que el profesor Shappiro es capaz de hacer teoríapolítica desde la inferencia es n slo grandilocuente, además es movilizadora, didactica y un punto eterno de inflexión y reflexión de los tópicos a tratarse.

By Frederico M d M

Sep 10, 2020

I loved the content and the dynamics of this course. It was the first course that I engaged and finished here on Coursera, and I feel that it is contributing a lot to improve my point of view of the world. Thank you!

By Jaminson A M C

Jun 26, 2020

It is an excellent course, the teacher knows very well how to present the subject, I try to be objective, the careful way in which he chose the students is wonderful, courses like this open up the panorama for you.

By Alejandro S

Jan 11, 2021

Un curso muy completo con una profundidad del tema extraordinario. El manejo de las diferentes corrientes y lineas de pensamiento por parte del profesor Shapirro lleva el curso a un nivel alto de aprendizaje.

By Berna A

Mar 4, 2019

thank you for this course İt was really so enlightening to compare the period of political thought on public policy . I really appriciated Shapiro's guide for understanding with the examples of everyday life.

By Anna V

Mar 11, 2021

Very interesting course! Nicely laid out to include students and with a lot of additional reading provided this course gives a solid overview of political philosophy development with application to timeline.

By Jaime A

Apr 25, 2020

Maravilloso curso, una acertada manera de conectar a los pensadores clásicos con los modernos, un visión amplia de la filosofía, la sociología, economía y de la política para entender la democracia moderna.

By C P

Jun 27, 2017

Great course. Professor Shapiro is very friendly and clear, and this facilitates the compreension and the adhesion to the course. That's a person I'd like to be a friend and student. Thank you very much.

By olaniyi a

Oct 16, 2019

A great person, who always there for his students and very easy to understand. I love him and I have no word to explain his intellectual. I look forward to meeting him in the future! Thanks for everything.

By Peter L

Oct 8, 2016

Really good. Prof. Shapiro, thanks a lot for a very clear communication, very good structure and perfect lessions. I can really recommend this way of online courses and I´m very happy with having taken it.

By Iván M G D 3 h

Jul 21, 2020

Exceptional. The Porfesor a little brother, explains in a slow and understandable way, great capacity to reach others. Many thanks to Yeil University, for the opportunity and thanks to the professor. A 10

By SERGI P

Oct 17, 2020

Muy buen curso con mucho contenido. Me gustaría que no todas las pruebas sean cuestionarios y que hubiesen algunas que se tratase de redactar (como es el caso de otros cursos dentro de esta plataforma).

By Leonid P

May 9, 2020

Thank your for this course! Actually, it is one of the best and constructive online courses in the world! I am so interested in international relations and world politics so I knew a lot of information.

By Tay M F

Sep 7, 2021

I feel that the lectures are easy to understand, the reading materials informative. I enjoyed this course and any newcomers will be able to grasp the technicalities of Moral Politics after this Course.

By Ellen C

Jul 2, 2020

Extremely insightful, interesting and engaging, coming from a person that has shallow knowledge of the world of politics. well paced and easy to follow with well-structured quizzes for each week.