Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus by Imperial College London

This course offers a brief introduction to the multivariate calculus required to build many common machine learning techniques. We start at the very beginning with a refresher on the “rise over run” formulation of a slope, before converting this to the formal definition of the gradient of a function. We then start to build up a set of tools for making calculus easier and faster. Next, we learn how to calculate vectors that point up hill on multidimensional surfaces and even put this into action using an interactive game. We take a look at how we can use calculus to build approximations to functions, as well as helping us to quantify how accurate we should expect those approximations to be. We also spend some time talking about where calculus comes up in the training of neural networks, before finally showing you how it is applied in linear regression models. This course is intended to offer an intuitive understanding of calculus, as well as the language necessary to look concepts up yourselves when you get stuck. Hopefully, without going into too much detail, you’ll still come away with the confidence to dive into some more focused machine learning courses in future....

Aug 3, 2019

Very Well Explained. Good content and great explanation of content. Complex topics are also covered in very easy way. Very Helpful for learning much more complex topics for Machine Learning in future.

DP
Nov 25, 2018

Great course to develop some understanding and intuition about the basic concepts used in optimization. Last 2 weeks were a bit on a lower level of quality then the rest in my opinion but still great.

101 - 125 of 741 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Multivariate Calculus

By zohair a b

Jun 2, 2020

Awesome course. I've always thought of math as a burden. Never really liked it. But this course has made me fall in love with mathematics. The way the instructors taught different concepts and put them all together was amazing.

By Olivio A C J

Oct 19, 2020

A really fine course with a correct balance between theory and practice. I learned a lot about multivariate calculus applied to machine learning. This course is really very helpful for anyone wanting to learn machine learning.

By Rafael E

Aug 21, 2020

I've never gotten such clear explanations during my undergraduate course, even in the graduate courses that I did. Practical exercises and visual resources help a lot to assimilate abstract concepts. I strongly recommend it.

By jie

Jun 11, 2020

Excellent course. I almost forgot everything i learned at college. I never thought I could regain all these knowledge with ease (was very painful back in college) . Samuel Cooper is probably the best instructor at coursera.

By Sagar L

Mar 12, 2020

A really nice course in the series. Quite useful from the perspective of the back end mathematics of ml techniques like Neural Networks. Anyone who wants to work in this domain, would be more than satisfied with this course.

By Nataliya M

Nov 17, 2018

Despite there being some mistakes in videos, this course is a nice introduction to Multivariate Calculus with application to Machine Learning and Data Science. Assignments are fairly challenging and also very interesting!

By Loay W

Aug 1, 2019

Thanks to the simple demonstration, and the interactive learning, I feel I can interpret the math as a new

language I can read and speak with, it was an interesting and core skill to have,

as a machine learning engineer.

By Francisco R A

Oct 29, 2019

Great course, I really enjoyed it. The way of teaching visually rather than theoretically keeps those that get lost in formulae like me on track. The visual explanation of what a derivative is helps a lot for instance.

By Deepak n

Jan 3, 2019

Superb course !! This course had a lot more application oriented problems and the instructor helped us visualise the intuition behind Math ! Looking forward for more of such courses from the Imperial College of London..

By Gilsiley H D

Aug 4, 2020

Interactivity in exercises, illustration in videos explain really in a new manner advanced topics, bacaming easy to understand. I amazing all. I recommend, but you need have a good understand in algebra and calculus.

By John F

May 1, 2020

Great course. In my view students need to supplement their learning with material from the Kahn Academy and 3Blue1Brown youtube channel - as recommended in the resources section of the course. Thanks to David and Sam.

By Mohammad A M

Nov 7, 2019

This course is really the BEST course for learning Multivariate calculus. Believe me, if you want to be an expert machine learning or data scientist, this course is crucial for you. Thanks a lot to Imperial College :)

By Jimmy K A

Feb 3, 2019

This is a great course to brush up your machine learning maths, this course describes backpropagation nicely and how its derived. Large part of this course is focused on optimization in which calculus is mostly used.

By Sertan A

Nov 15, 2020

It requires lots of outside research but in the end, it worth the effort! Also, I felt an absence right after finishing this course. I feel like I had the chance to understand the glimpse of lecturers' perspective!!

By Horacio G D

Jul 26, 2019

I really like this course. It goes over the multivariate calculus concepts and explains them in a very intuitive way referring to the univariate case. it's still very easy for people have seen the material before.

By Arthur T R

Oct 11, 2018

Excellent for reviewing the main concepts of Matrix Algebra and learn some few new topics. This course also gives a great intuition on how things work graphically, which increases our understanding of the topic.

By Phuong A N

Aug 2, 2020

It is very challenging course. I have to watch the video many times. But the explanation in the practice quiz is very useful. It helps me to review the lectures and try some complicated function. No pain no gain

By Helena S

Feb 28, 2020

The best course in the specialization. The material is very abstract, but the Lecturer's explanations are so clear that it seems easy - even though it isn't! A model course. I've learned a great deal. Thank you!

By caterina w

Apr 2, 2019

So glad the Professor made it back - he didn't show up until week 5. He's so charismatic and funny to watch. I learnt loads from this module and really appreciate the 'audit access'. Power to the People :)

By Bautista P

Apr 21, 2020

Muy bueno, con explicaciones y profesores super claros, mostrando y desarrollando la teoría junto con la práctica en ejercicios de programación básicos para quien no esta adentrado al mundo de la informática

By Rishik R

Dec 15, 2019

Very interesting and engaging material in this course. Feel a little bit difficulty while understanding topics from Sir David Dye's videos but the way of teaching by Sir Samuel J. Cooper is really excellent.

By Luke L

Apr 29, 2020

An amazing course. Materials are presented in a way that spurs you on to learn more. The BEST MOOC I've taken so far! This course is great in how much material is covered. Truly a calculus roller coaster.

By Ritik B

Apr 23, 2020

The course taught Multivariate Calculus from scratch. Quizzes and programming assignments were highly helpful in clearing concepts and applying acquired knowledge. Thanks a lot for this wonderful course.

By Oj S

Jan 3, 2020

All teachers are exceptional, and the examples covered really made sense and are likely to remain fitted in the student's minds so that they would never forget the fundamentals described in this course.

By AKSHAT M

Jul 26, 2020

I just absolutely loved this course. It was a great course both on a practical level as well as giving the intuition and a feel of the multivariable calculus. Kudos to Sam Cooper sir and David Dye sir.