Back to Getting Started With Music Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Getting Started With Music Theory by Michigan State University

This course is a brief introduction to the elements of music theory for those with little or no music theory experience. We will explore pitch, rhythm, meter, notation, scales, keys, key signatures, meter signatures, triads, seventh chords, and basic harmony. If you listen to music or play music by ear, and you want to know more about how music is organized and notated, this course is for you. By the end of the course, you should know all major and minor keys, how to read and write in treble and bass clef using standard meters and rhythmic values, and how to notate and harmonize a simple melody. This course can serve as a stand-alone basic music theory course, or it can be a springboard to more advanced theory and composition courses. Your instructor is Bruce Taggart, Associate Professor of Music Theory at Michigan State University, in the College of Music, where he has taught undergraduate and graduate music theory since 1996....

WV
Aug 20, 2020

Course was quite tough , eventually I had given up on this course, but consistency made me learn and I went through rigorous learning in finding the chords and middle C notes. Yes I made it in the end

CM
Jul 22, 2020

Fantastic lectures and very easy-to-understand, hard to master lessons. This course will leave you with a much deeper understanding of music if you are a beginner to music theory like I am.

226 - 237 of 237 Reviews for Getting Started With Music Theory

By Jessica M

Apr 19, 2020

Does not feel like it is for Beginners

By Diana B

Jun 3, 2021

I hope someone was able to get some understanding of chords in a mere 15 minutes, I would not recommend this course, but I'm sure it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Good Luck to all who risk taking this course.

By Peter B

Jul 16, 2020

This course brushes very quick over most topics. It doesn't go fully into depth, and the teaching is very hard to follow if you don't already know something about the taught topics.

By Carlos I B O

Aug 23, 2020

El profesor es pésimo!! sera un. gran músico pero muy mal profesor ! muy dicidil entenderle , se le recomienda. ver las. clases de Theodorus de Berkeley

By Maico C

Oct 29, 2019

Payment requirement at the end of the quiz? I'll pay later, but I want to know the course. All the courses I'm doing let me pay in the end.

By Kristina K

Very simplified explanations that are often simple to the point of being incorrect.

By Mirunalini G

Sep 14, 2020

the quizzes are quite difficult that we can't judge what answer they are expecting

By Mal F

Oct 13, 2020

I hate this course I cant pay for a diploma so why continue

By Martin O

May 11, 2019

Audio exercises not loading no matter which device I use.

By Didier N

Jul 12, 2020

The theory does not take beginners in consideration

By VISHVAS J K

Apr 1, 2021

This is not beginner frindly course.

By Akshay S

Apr 9, 2020

Sadlly this is not for beginners! :(