Back to Neural Networks and Deep Learning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Neural Networks and Deep Learning by DeepLearning.AI

In the first course of the Deep Learning Specialization, you will study the foundational concept of neural networks and deep learning. By the end, you will be familiar with the significant technological trends driving the rise of deep learning; build, train, and apply fully connected deep neural networks; implement efficient (vectorized) neural networks; identify key parameters in a neural network’s architecture; and apply deep learning to your own applications. The Deep Learning Specialization is our foundational program that will help you understand the capabilities, challenges, and consequences of deep learning and prepare you to participate in the development of leading-edge AI technology. It provides a pathway for you to gain the knowledge and skills to apply machine learning to your work, level up your technical career, and take the definitive step in the world of AI....

OO
Oct 20, 2017

Andrew Ng's presenting style is excellent. Makes the course easy to follow as it gradually moves from the basics to more advanced topics, building gradually. Very good starter course on deep learning.

AA
Sep 1, 2019

I highly appreciated the interviews at the end of some weeks. I am currently trying to transition from a research background in Systems/Computational Biology to work professionally in deep learning :)

476 - 500 of 10,000 Reviews for Neural Networks and Deep Learning

By César J N R

Aug 23, 2017

It is a relly nice course, well explained as Andrew Ng. has always done. Because it is still a new course, there are few erratas of course, but those are being already corrected. I suggest a lot to take the Machine Learning course by Stanford University here on Coursera first, unless you already know about Neural networks, since sometimes there are things that you should know. These kind of courses have made me going really deep into Data Science and I'm quire sure this specialization will help. Thanks !

By Sumeet K H M

Apr 17, 2020

Thanks a lot Dr. Andrew NG. According to me, this course ranks very high in terms of course content, delivery and practical assignments in Python. Specially, the assignments are designed in such a way that almost all the concepts are revisited and the conceptual understanding is re-intensified during the assignments. The assignments also help us to understand how a neural network can be implemented in practice in a systematic way by breaking it into subcomponents, which is the most enriching experience.

By Subianto W

Jun 10, 2019

Excellent class, wonderful instructor and extensive practice problems. The theoretical explanations on deep networks are very thorough with the math behind it. Unlike other deep learning courses that take shortcuts with using pre-made keras or pytorch libraries, this course went through the math behind the functions and then went on to build them with python from scratch. The exercises are also well prepared with clear notes and test functions to make sure the codes work as intended. Highly recommended!

By Yu S

Feb 11, 2018

I hope instructor could fix the notation in back prop. I think this should be easy, because he just need to stick a red color comments beside in the video.

One big misleading is by back prop:

Because the notation for back propagation algorithm presented in the lectures treats dA and dZ differently from dW and db(I ignored layer l index in my notation). Namely, 'dA' and 'dZ' are always computing the derivatives

dL/dA and dL/dZ

respectively, but 'dW' and 'db' are computing the derivatives

dJ/dW and dJ/db.

By onkar p

Nov 28, 2017

Again an awesome course ,hats off to NG for this brilliant series of courses.

One thing which i liked so much was the interview session with Ian ,Peter etc.Came to know about further research and development going in Field of ML & DL.

i liked the way Ng has put up the lucid explanation of vectorized implementation and how to do random initialization.

And the ending was super with DNN for image classification.

Its a good experienced learning so far with Prof Andrew.

Thanks & looking forward to next course .

By krishna

Aug 18, 2017

I took Andrew's Machine Learning course but was never able to complete the course. This time I have completed this course and hope to complete the remaining 4 as well.

Andrew has been very successful in developing the intuition for the neural networks and once it becomes intuitive it's all imagination.

I loved all the interviews with "Heroes of deep learning". To be honest, I never knew about any one of them prior to those interviews. It is great to know the best people in the industry.

By Omar Z

Jul 30, 2019

a basic course, given the depth of mathematics it discusses. One good thing in the course is the frequency of the practical assignments, however, I feel the course needs one small project where each student writes the whole program on his own to get used to the whole process, rather than just implementing the functions. One thing I believe needs to be added, is to offer hints as an Optional thing, so that some people feel challenged (as well as grasping the idea in a deeper way hehe) during the course.

By Ajinkya C

Jul 19, 2020

Awesome Course for Diving into the World of Deep Learning and AI. ANDREW NG Sir Explains the Concepts of Neural Networks in such an Excellent Way so that they are Understood Easily and also in Depth. Also, the Programming Assignments are Well Designed so that you can Understand the Concepts Deeply and Practically Apply them in Python. A little notion of Machine Learning is required to make more sense but you will still understand the concepts.

Huge Thanks to Him for Creating such a Great Platform!!!

By Anil R

May 12, 2020

The whole course had an excellent pace and covered all the vital topics in great detail. Being an engineer myself it was easy to grasp the principles of forward and backward propagation, the chain rule of differentiation. Using python program was also a great plus. Though I have some programming experience I had never sued python before. Lastly I would like to Professor Andrew NG. His sounds so cool and peaceful, and puts the students in relaxed mode, ,thus improving the learning experience manyfolds

By Rúben G

Oct 1, 2019

I am software engineer looking to expand my skill set to cover Deep Learning. I first learned that Andrew NG was a big reference on AI when I read Life 3.0. Then I searched about him and found he has a DL course on coursera and so I didn't even hesitated. This is my first course in Coursera. I found the classes super smooth to follow as Andrew NG introduces the topics in a very easy to understand way. I am super excited to cover the next courses. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge this way!

By Rehan S

Aug 24, 2019

Beginner friendly course. This is Andrew's Ng first but very important course and that is prerequisite of next courses of same specialization. Assignments are well designed by instructor very helpful to understand the

theoretical material. Assignments designed according to real world problems like image classification. Well effort by instructor that makes easy all the difficult topics for us and thanks to coursera team that providing us such a great platform where we learn something new at any time.

By Sebastián v

Apr 5, 2021

I am extremely satisfied with this first course of the specialization. I think it is a rigorous course, which provides all the key concepts, driving you to go deeper into the mathematical issues. I think it is the best MOOC I have taken so far.

Estoy sumamente satisfecho con este primer curso de la especialización. Creo que es un curso riguroso, el cual provee de todos los conceptos claves, impulsándote a profundizar en los aspectos matemáticos. Creo que es el mejor MOOC que he realizada hasta ahora.

By Kiran W

Jul 30, 2019

Professor Andrew Ng's teaching style is simply amazing! I was able to absorb the material fairly quickly and reinforce my learning with very well structured exercises. I, now, have the confidence that Deep Learning is no rocket science. It is pure mathematics and art at play! If your algebra fundamentals are in place and you are creative, there is no better path to AI than Deep Learning. Believe me, when you start "getting" DL concepts, it quickly grows on you and you are addicted to its philosophy!

By Melissa C

Jul 8, 2019

So happy I completed the first course in the series of Deep Learning. I got a great foundation for how neural networks work, with good instruction, good illustrations, and plenty of resources. The lab notebooks are particularly well-written, with thoughtful instruction and step-by-step application of what we learn each week. Outputs have "expected" outputs shown below, so you know if you're on the right track or not. Overall very happy with this course. It's a good bit of work, but so worth it.

By Tanmay K

Feb 28, 2020

An excellent that covers the fundamental required for deep learning. Professor Andrew Ng gives an excellent intuition behind the inner workings of deep learning and practical guides for implementation with the help of the assignments. I found the heroes of machine learning section to be the icing on the cake as it gave a broad overview of the latest developments in the field of deep learning. To anyone who wants to get an insight into this wonderful domain, I would definitely recommend this course.

By Robert G

Jun 11, 2019

Terrific intro to neural networks! The instruction was very clear on the steps that made up NN/DL algorithms and very easy to follow. I really liked how the programming examples were explicit in what made up the algorithms, and then there were test cases for each section of the code. This made it easy to step-debug through the code, rather than waiting until the code is complete and running into a bug and having to try and trace back through the entire notebook. Thanks for putting this together.

By Glenn B

May 31, 2018

Great topic, well organized, and very understandable. Tests and assignments are structured very well and are completely doable.

I get the dynamic aspect of writing the lecture notes in the videos, however the lecture notes should be "cleaned up" in the downloadable files (i.e., typos corrected and typed up). Additionally, the notes written in the video could be written and organized more clearly (e.g., uniform directional flow across the page/screen rather than randomly fit wherever on the page.

By weonseok c

Mar 15, 2020

Although there are many pre-written codes, I think this course gave a good and easy image how neural net is confirmed and works to a beginner.

Some more things I also wanted are explanations or texts for how to prepare datasets (image data, in this case), and some other usages, not just distinguishing images but sounds or texts and so on too.

But maybe image is most easy example for a person who really don't know well about math or program. I still want to get next courses for further study.

By Subhadip M

Oct 25, 2019

Extremely helpful course. I got a good and depth knowledge about the Neural Network, Activation Function, Vector and Matrices, Forward and Backward propagation, Parameters and Notation. The main thing I love with this course is the implementation of theory and examples practically on the code. While you are going through the course, I will suggest you to take notes and revise it again and again. Otherwise, you will definitely confuse in many portions of the course. Thanks to Professor Andrew Ng.

By HRITIK R H

Jun 9, 2020

The course offers indepth knowledge about neural networks from its basic building blocks to large deep learning models. Andrew Ng is definately one of the best teachers and his specialisation in Machine Learning is simply unparalled. The simple explainations and helpful tips throughout the assignments help a lot in establishing confidence while solving them. Highly recommend this course to anyone who wishes to understand the components of a neural network along with larger deep learning models.

By Herment G

May 6, 2018

This course is amazing. Andrew is an amazing teacher, you can see that he loves explaining this topic and understands it very well so he know how to put things simply. You may feel lost from time to time but the things that you may hardly comprehend are consistently reminded throughout the course. This gave me a great insight into the field of deep learning and I'm looking forward to learn more about it. I highly recommand this course to anyone who has basic coding knowledge and interest in AI.

By Clemens F

Oct 5, 2020

The course is excellent. Andrew Ng is an expert on the field and explains everything in good detail. The course reminded me of my econometrics classes. It is always key to get your neck behind the mathematical part in ML/AI to fully understand the effects of your decisions as a data scientist. I love this course for giving me these details.

The Programming assignments where very useful to check your understanding. It took me some time here and there, but I went out with a better understanding.

By Latha M K - P

Sep 9, 2020

This is my first deep learning course on coursera and I got in depth understanding about various concepts by taking up this course . As I am new to this domain, lectures gave me a clear insight and mathematical background behind deep learning. I enjoyed a lot in coding the concepts learned using Jupiter notebook and its like addiction and I cannot stop until I finish certain assignment exercise. Thanks a lot for this wonderful course and I hope to learn more courses of same caliber in future.

By Michal S

May 18, 2019

This was a very enjoyable course! It was very practically oriented, so everyone with some basic knowledge about machine learning, programming and neural networks could complete the course without too much of math background. I know this may seem as a disadvantage as well, but I think having good chance to do cool projects (because the programming assignments are cool) can motivate to further study of presented papers and textbooks well and eventually maybe use the concepts in research or work.

By Marc-Antoine H

Aug 2, 2020

I checked some courses on other websites and the reviews were not that great. Most often, they don't cover the basics and only explain what Python functions do. This course is awesome. It covers the fundamentals of DL like a college class. This course is particularly appropriate if you have 0 knowledge of AI (and what to learn Python at the same time). Some sections are pretty basic (ex. calculus capsules), but you can skip them. There are 5 courses in the specialization. I highly recommend !