Back to Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life by The University of Chicago

Learn how the nervous system produces behavior, how we use our brain every day, and how neuroscience can explain the common problems afflicting people today. We will study functional human neuroanatomy and neuronal communication, and then use this information to understand how we perceive the outside world, move our bodies voluntarily, stay alive, and play well with others....

VK

Jul 27, 2020

This course has been an eye-opener for me and has helped me to better understand the brain from a perspective of empathy towards those suffering from debilitating disorders, thanks to Professor Mason.

MJ

It has been, in all, a wonderful experience taking this course, Prof Peggy is really good at what she does, wonderful content, stories, instances, and videos. Learnt a lot from this course, thank you!

76 - 100 of 493 Reviews for Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life

By Stacey K

Oct 01, 2017

Thank you very much for the course. My understanding of brain improved a lot and also it made me more aware of how other people may perceive the world very differently from myself. I found the level of depth just enough for me to get through it without being too buried in terminology and details. The assignments were fun too. Excellent course, thank you.

By Affaf K

Aug 04, 2020

The way of delivering the lectures is so simple yet effective . The teacher is so sweet and amazing . She explains even the most difficult mechanisms in the most simple and easy way . Videos are not lengthy so student does not get fed up . It provides an excellent explanation of various disorders and anatomy of brain with the help of labs and videos .

By Poojitha S P

Dec 21, 2019

This course has been beautifully illustrated by Prof. Peggy Mason with real life examples including her cat Tula's activities that we can connect with. The enthusiasm and the passion of Prof. Mason keeps the viewers hooked and I have a deep admiration for her. My interest in Neurobiology has been piqued and I wish to work in this field in the future.

By Sandra K

Jun 11, 2020

Professor Mason is an incredible teacher. I love her way of passing knowledge and hope to have a chance to take another one of her courses. She has a way of finding beauty in knowledge and presenting it clearly and systematically (something I appreciate about professors).

No joke, I'd recommend any of her courses, she is one of the best of her kind.

By Thomas J H

Apr 05, 2017

I have taken several "neuro" courses on Coursera. This helped reviewed what I learned elsewhere and fill in some gaps. But more importantly, I think it would have been the best general introduction to start with. Friendly, accessible, and surprisingly comprehensive. Great first course in neuroscience or complementary course. Highly recommended.

By Linda L

Aug 19, 2020

Coming from having only a background in General Biology 1, I found this course so much more interesting. I can only say that I have learned so much with Professor Mason. She is an excellent teacher and gives plenty of examples for her students to understand. To finish, this course has opened my eyes to a very large field that I am interested in.

By 张月

May 02, 2017

It is my first course that finished on Coursera, and I feel lucky that I have chosen that and it raised my interest to keep learning more. Professor Mason's lecture is very vivid and easy to understand for student with little background of Neuroscience, and also full of humanity care and empathy for people who suffer from neurobiology diseases.

By Catharina C C

Jul 12, 2020

The course reinforced my career choice, I am deeply interested in this topic and I wanted to delve deeper into this knowledge and research. The course explains in an excellent way the operating mode of the brain systems, the knowledge acquired in class goes beyond simple fundamentals, helping to reflect more deeply about everyday neurobiology.

By Eduardo F D

Apr 09, 2020

This is a course that touches in some many basic concepts and yet shows the application of them, so that it broadens the understanding of the nervous system. Dr. Mason is really a remarkable professor and it was a delight to learn some many difficult subjects in a way that ease the understanding of the integrated functioning of the brain.

By Hugo B

Apr 26, 2020

Despite being a course that does not have prerequisites, it´s extremely thorough in guiding a non-medical student through neurobiology. Peggy Mason is incredibly passionate about the subject, and the subjects that have allowed the advancement of this science. It makes a big difference to have a professor fully invested in the topic.

By Deepali R

Sep 07, 2020

I absolutely loved this course! It is the first one I took on Coursera and I am so glad for it. Professor Mason's enthusiasm about neurobiology is infectious and I found myself being more absorbed into the topic. I would like to thank both Coursera and the staff at University of Chicago who made this course available easily for us.

By Rashmi S N

Mar 05, 2019

This was such an interesting course and although I am not a science student and I had to brush up my neurobiology vocabulary, I loved the course. Prof. Peggy Mason was such an engaging and wonderful instructor. The course wasn’t easy for me but I did complete it and I did read up on all the reference reads that were recommended.

By Edmund S

Dec 12, 2018

My heartfelt thanks goes out to everyone involved with this MOOC.

I learned so much form going through this material and thoroughly enjoyed my time on it every week. Thank you for making it available to myself and others, it was a fantastic introduction to neuroscience topics and Peggy Mason is a gifted instructor and teacher.

By DR R Y

Feb 27, 2020

It is very good course for develop concept and I would like to give thanks to Professor Peggy Mason for conductive a fine knowledgeable course .Thank you very much once again I will be more happy if you give me certificate written with Distinction. I also appreciate to courser for giving as platform to get knowledge globally.

By Giannina C M

Jun 30, 2020

Dr. Mason kept me engaged the entire course and made all concepts super easy to understand. I loved the small check-ins in between videos and having to apply the knowledge we learned in our quizzes and final project! 10/10 recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about how the brain is involved in every play of life!

By Donna P P

Dec 18, 2019

This is a practical, well-organized course that provides a good intro to the area of neurobiology. I have a graduate degree but it is not related to this field. I found the course to be challenging, but not overwhelming. Dr. Mason offers a strong scientific base, yet connects course content effectively to everyday life.

By Thomas L

Jun 04, 2020

Professor Mason provides a very extensive, yet accessible, introduction to neurobiology with a focus on common neurobiological diseases. The focus on diseases helps to understand how the neurobiology of the human body works by discussing what happens when things go wrong. Excellent course! Thank you Professor Mason!

By Eva C

Sep 21, 2017

I took this course for the second time to renew my knowledge. I absolutely in love with neurobiology thanks to Professor Manson. It was interesting even as I remembered about a half of the course. I definitely recommend this course to be taken a few times. Or once in a while to enjoy such a passionate neurobiologist!

By Ignacio C C

Apr 07, 2018

Peggy Mason is exceptional at communicating complex concepts in a simple way. It's the most engaging Coursera course I've done so far!

Despite having no medical background, Peggy made it easy to follow and stay connected. The course was interesting and informative, and she made the links to everyday's life very clear.

By Rümeysa D

Sep 02, 2020

I am very thankful for being able to attend these valuable lectures taught by such an intelligent and powerful person. I hope I will have other opportunities like this to learn more from her in the future. Also, I will keep visiting this brilliant website to improve my skills and knowledge. Thank you for everything!

By AISHWARYA A

Aug 24, 2017

Excellent course. Gave me a good platform to learn the basics of neurobiology. The additional lab videos were fabulous. I totally enjoyed every bit of it. Professor Peggy was amazing, she explained the concepts in such an interesting way with real life examples, that I really enjoyed it. Thank you Prof. Peggy!

By Nicolas Z

Jul 12, 2020

Great course! The 10 weeks fly by as your learn a wide variety of topics with a funny and very smart teacher Peggy Mason. This course is not only for medicine, neuroscience or other majors. It is for anyone who dares to explore the importance of the brain on our daily lives. More than a course, an experience.

By Renugadevi K

May 22, 2020

Prossor peggy mason has done a very wondeful lively lectures which made to understand very clearly. Her teaching style and interest in giving her knowedlege to us is enormous. We can understand her dedication in her lecture. Thanks coursera for giving us the opportunity to meet such a well experienced person

By Hilary V

Apr 24, 2020

Professor Mason enthusiasm and love of her subject radiates through and makes this course such a joy to participate in, she obviously knows her stuff through and through and instills trust in me as a student. I love the balance between imparting facts and then relating them to our day to day life, good job!

By Natalia

Aug 22, 2017

I would love to recommend the course. I enjoyed the course despite it were pretty intense 10 weeks and I had to learn a lot. Of course it's only a beginning and there is an infinite way forward. Professor is making the process very engaging and it's impossible not to fell in love with neurobiology.💛 science