Back to Social Norms, Social Change I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Norms, Social Change I by University of Pennsylvania

This is a course on social norms, the rules that glue societies together. It teaches how to diagnose social norms, and how to distinguish them from other social constructs, like customs or conventions. These distinctions are crucial for effective policy interventions aimed to create new, beneficial norms or eliminate harmful ones. The course teaches how to measure social norms and the expectations that support them, and how to decide whether they cause specific behaviors. The course is a joint Penn-UNICEF project, and it includes many examples of norms that sustain behaviors like child marriage, gender violence and sanitation practices. This is Part 1 of the Social Norms, Social Change series. In these lectures, I introduce all the basic concepts and definitions, such as social expectations and conditional preferences, that help us distinguish between different types of social practices like customs, descriptive norms and social norms. Expectations and preferences can be measured, and these lectures explain how to measure them. Measurement is crucial to understanding the nature of the practice you are facing, as well as whether an intervention was or was not successful, and why. In Part 2, we will put into practice all we have learned in Part 1. New! Please use this link for a 30% discount on the recommended book that accompanies this course! https://global.oup.com/academic/product/9780190622053/?cc=us&lang=en&promocode=AAFLYG6...

PE

Mar 06, 2019

This course will open your eyes to different behavioural patterns that human engage in, teach how about the suppossed mudane but important things in our society and also how to carry out a research.

JC

Aug 05, 2019

Achei o curso muito interessante e importante para entender a minha area de trabalho com certeza abso;uta irei implementar os conhecimentos adquiridos e estou pronta para entrar na 2 parte do curso

351 - 375 of 391 Reviews for Social Norms, Social Change I

By Christina

Sep 06, 2017

I loved it and would take another course from Cristina.

By Rik d G

May 21, 2017

Great course, sometimes a bit hard to follow

By Victor K B

Not very entertaining but practical to know

By Lillie K

Jun 30, 2019

the terms became quite confusing to follow

By shady m r

Jul 23, 2017

needs more tests, but it's great overall

By Zaid A

Jul 29, 2017

Well laid out, easy to follow.

By MIAWAWANA G F

Mar 24, 2018

super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By eslam s k

Jun 04, 2017

very useful thanks a lot

By badrul h

Jun 24, 2017

Thanks

By Ivana V

Feb 19, 2020

It would have been more interesting if the focus wasn't predominantly on theory which is all quite similar and gets kind of dull after a while. Including more diverse practical examples, or even better presenting case studies would have made the course much better for me.

By Catherine H

Dec 23, 2018

This is material that you're not going to use directly, but can use indirectly in your work later on. It's pretty dry material, but I honestly learned a lot of valuable information. I would recommend it if you're willing to put in the work. If not, you wont learn much.

By Zohre S

Apr 06, 2020

I've learnt some interesting useful terms like "reference network" to describe daily struggles but I wish I could intellectually challenge myself more. Another significant downside to the course is the examples and the colonial mentality behind them!

By Juan E

Mar 04, 2019

No es suficientemente claro en las explicaciones por lo tanto las opciones de respuestas a los cuestionarios complican mas la percepción de haber o no comprendido los conceptos.

By Anton Z

Jan 02, 2018

Subtitles need to be reviewed, a lot of errors and they are necessary because the speakers all have strong accents. Sometimes the transcript itself doesn't make sense at all.

By Cheryl C

Apr 10, 2020

The class was well taught; However, I would have preferred more examples. That is more applications across different topics where the need for social change is indicated.

By Danielle G

Mar 27, 2017

It was alright ..confusing at times an seemed a bit convoluted. someone needs to come up with a better way to explain these concepts so that they are not so jumbled.

By Winnifred R L

Jun 11, 2017

This course covers a lot of definitions and basics so is less engaging than the second course but it is certainly worth working through. A great enterprise!

By Recep B

Feb 22, 2020

4.Haftanın videolarında Türkçe altyazı olmadığı için pek anlayamadım.4 haftanın videolarına Türkçe altyazı eklenmeli.Onun dışında güzel bir kurstu.

By Lujain A

Jul 28, 2019

it was so confusing but I tried my best, not cause the instructor is bad, just cause there were too many similar concepts

By Rishabh S

Apr 28, 2020

The course is not that interesting but I really like the example from the different countries that was given by UNICEF.

By Gilbert H

Aug 15, 2020

I think this course in very important for researchers in order to get the right answers from the communities