Back to Social Norms, Social Change I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Norms, Social Change I by University of Pennsylvania

This is a course on social norms, the rules that glue societies together. It teaches how to diagnose social norms, and how to distinguish them from other social constructs, like customs or conventions. These distinctions are crucial for effective policy interventions aimed to create new, beneficial norms or eliminate harmful ones. The course teaches how to measure social norms and the expectations that support them, and how to decide whether they cause specific behaviors. The course is a joint Penn-UNICEF project, and it includes many examples of norms that sustain behaviors like child marriage, gender violence and sanitation practices. This is Part 1 of the Social Norms, Social Change series. In these lectures, I introduce all the basic concepts and definitions, such as social expectations and conditional preferences, that help us distinguish between different types of social practices like customs, descriptive norms and social norms. Expectations and preferences can be measured, and these lectures explain how to measure them. Measurement is crucial to understanding the nature of the practice you are facing, as well as whether an intervention was or was not successful, and why. In Part 2, we will put into practice all we have learned in Part 1. New! Please use this link for a 30% discount on the recommended book that accompanies this course! https://global.oup.com/academic/product/9780190622053/?cc=us&lang=en&promocode=AAFLYG6...

PE
Mar 5, 2019

This course will open your eyes to different behavioural patterns that human engage in, teach how about the suppossed mudane but important things in our society and also how to carry out a research.

JC
Aug 4, 2019

Achei o curso muito interessante e importante para entender a minha area de trabalho com certeza abso;uta irei implementar os conhecimentos adquiridos e estou pronta para entrar na 2 parte do curso

151 - 175 of 453 Reviews for Social Norms, Social Change I

By Gilbert A A

Apr 22, 2018

The course was very interesting. Provides an excellent insight on understanding social norms and developing intervention strategies to bring about change.

By Ajay V

Apr 25, 2018

It was a fantastic course that concisely taught the different expectations that we face in society. Whether it may be our own or of society in general.

By Erme S

Jun 16, 2017

Very useful to me, a undergraduate student of computer science who love HCI and want to understando complex social domains. Very clear, a nice teacher.

By Varun K S

Aug 14, 2017

I absolutely cherished whatever I learned through this course. It gave me a perspective to view things from critical, rational and shared perspective.

By Tania

Oct 31, 2020

I learned a lot! Do not give up after the first week...keep going and you will see how the concepts can be applied to real situations and problems.

By Kamrul H

Nov 6, 2017

All the topics are elaborated with real life examples. Also designed to be very interesting. I enjoyed every bit of it while learning new aspects.

By Lucie M

Apr 20, 2021

i have learned so much in this class. the teacher was amazing. she does her job very well. i like her teaching style. thank you miss Christina B

By Maria J S C

Jul 9, 2020

Cristina is amazing. Everything is very clear and ordered. I believe this should be a compulsory course for anyone interested in public policy.

By Diana M

Sep 4, 2017

I think is a great course, is applicable to any society and very well explain, also Cristina is very nice. I definitely will enroll to part II

By Kristen P

May 24, 2017

The professor was delightful and the material was presented in a nicely progressive way, with a good variety of videos, stories, and readings.

By Nj R

Nov 11, 2020

so informative that helps you to be open-minded, understand the various cultures and respect people why they behave or do certain behaviours.

By Catarina B

Apr 6, 2020

I learing a lot in this course. the only thing that I did not like it was the fact of the week 4 was way more longer than the others. Thanks!

By Yenlik T

Feb 13, 2020

Amazing professor! Last week is quite dense with many new notions regarding techniques so separating them into more pieces might be helpful.

By Sarah S

Jun 18, 2017

Excellent course, well delivered and a good balance of detail and insight with laymen terminology. I would definitely recommend this course!

By Nakarin C

Jul 10, 2020

it s a very good course for any persons who interest the social sci and this course gives me a new len to see how the societies really are

By Pablo G

Nov 14, 2019

Very interesting and useful course. People should learn about this, so better programming oriented to behaviour change could be developed.

By MD. A R H

Nov 2, 2019

I have come up with in and outs of social expectation, norms and behaviour responsible to create or abandon these norms. Helped me a lot.

By Haroon A

Jul 13, 2019

excellent course , helpful , gradual information cascade , sumarrizing from time to another ,practical examples , discussions . thank you

By elnaz a

Nov 10, 2021

it was my first experiment about online learning.and it was so helpful and amazing. I am grateful for your effort and time for training.

By Mohamed A S M

Jan 29, 2019

I suggest this course to my all colleagues b/c will give us a lot of solutions for our community problems , thank you for this chance

By Eman S

Sep 11, 2019

very beneficial course, specially for me to understand the different terms of social norms and social change in different communities

By christian I B

May 14, 2020

Amazing! very useful and complete applied theory for understanding and measure social norms in field. i really enjoy this trip.

By Beverly C

May 2, 2020

Excellent course, and fantastic Lecturer Ms. Cristina Bicchieri made the course interesting and eager to learn. I thank you.

By stacey m

Jun 13, 2020

I enjoyed the course thought it was really interesting and hard at the same time. would recommended other to do this course.

By Anthony C A

Aug 13, 2016

I like the course! Very practical! It satisfies my curiosity and interest in answering why people behave the way they do.