Back to Academic Listening and Note-Taking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Academic Listening and Note-Taking by University of California, Irvine

This course will help non-native English speakers improve their listening and note-taking skills for the purpose of listening to academic lectures. You will learn techniques for improving your understanding and skills for taking more effective notes, and you will get lots of practice in using these. If you're planning to attend college classes in English, then this class is for you. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Understand and follow a lecture 2. Take better lecture notes 3. Discuss courses with classmates and professors 4. Give an effective academic presentation Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

MH
Sep 22, 2021

I would like to say thank you to the teachers who taught me and help me to complete this course. Now I know that note-taking is not too difficult and my listening skiill is better.\n\nThank you.

TA
Dec 10, 2018

It is very useful and very interesting course i learned a lot of skills from this course and these skills which i learned from this course will help me in my whole life regarding my studies

151 - 175 of 219 Reviews for Academic Listening and Note-Taking

Oct 9, 2021

Great

By Juan P A B

Feb 9, 2021

Good

By Buthaina A M

Jul 20, 2020

GOOD

By rafat A

Jul 29, 2017

good

By 王佳瑋

Sep 22, 2020

推!

By Ayu W

Jun 24, 2020

I

By Fred V

Oct 17, 2020

This course is likely to be useful for people starting their studies. A few methods are explained, which are deemed to apply to every student, whatever their level of prior knowledge in the topic studied (the 'one-size-fits-all' approach). However, we regret not to see contents about a critical view of the lecturing, an assessment of what is useful and substantial vs. the fluff, the rhetoric and the special effects that lecturers can be tempted to use (typical example: 'research shows...', meaning 'abdicate the critical thinking that I am supposed to teach you, believe me because I am the authority, do not do any further research, and do not ask any further question.'). We also would have like to see a critical self-assessment for the student, containing the questions 'What I am doing in this course? Am I up to listening to this content? What do I know and what do I think I know?'. All in all, this is a good initiation, though.