Back to International Leadership and Organizational Behavior

Learner Reviews & Feedback for International Leadership and Organizational Behavior by Università Bocconi

Leaders in business and non-profit organizations increasingly work across national borders and in multi-cultural environments. You may work regularly with customers or suppliers abroad, or be part of a globally dispersed cross-functional team, or an expatriate manager on an international assignment. You may be a member of a global online community, or a development aid worker collaborating with an international network of partner organizations. In all of these contexts, your effectiveness as a leader depends on how well you understand and are able to manage individual and collective behaviors in an intercultural context. In this course – together with a team of Bocconi expert faculty and Bocconi alumni – we’ll explore the theory and practice of international and intercultural leadership and organizational behavior. Social science research has revealed systematic ways in which our behavior differs across cultural contexts – enabling us to more effectively work across borders. Insights from psychology, neuroscience, sociology and anthropology, from communication studies and from management scholarship allow us to understand what shapes individual and group decision making, what enhances or weakens team performance, and how we can build and use our social networks. And the shared practical experience of international leaders allows us to identify concrete steps to enhancing intercultural leadership competence, and to be cognizant of common leadership challenges. Learning about organizational behavior provides a great opportunity to develop your leadership skills and to reflect on your own behavioral tendencies. How do you usually make important decisions? What motivates you and how do you try motivating others? How successfully do you leverage and integrate diverse skills and views in a team? Do you prefer professional relationships with a close-knit group of trusted colleagues, or with a far-flung network of acquaintances from all walks of life? If you really want to learn how organizations behave and take decisions and at the same time develop leadership skills, then this is the course for you. We are looking forward to welcoming you and supporting you on this journey of learning and discovery. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1 - Leadership Acumen. International perspective on leadership, common traps & challenges, and opportunities of intercultural leadership. Week 2 - Navigating Culture. Impact of cultural differences on organizations, decoding culture, culture classifications and stereotyping, developing intercultural intelligence. Week 3 - Communication. Communication and its impact on leadership identity and relationships, managing communication to improve decision making, steps for developing your intercultural communication skills. Week 4 - Motivation. Views on individual motivation, cultural differences in motivation, developing motivation and commitment in teams. Week 5 - Networking. Patterns of interpersonal relationships in/across organizations, strategically developing social networks and social capital, norms for networking across cultures. Week 6 - Conflict. Effective / defective conflict management approaches, dealing with ethical dilemmas. Thanks to the participation of our alumni and of the Bocconi Alumni Association, participants will have practical insights on international leadership. RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND All are welcome! Some prior exposure to basic issues of organizational behavior (communication, decision making, motivation, etc.) is useful, but not required....

AY

Jan 07, 2017

I completed this course while working abroad and I loved it. The course helped be to have a better understanding and respect for different cultures in life and in the work environment.\n\nThank You!

GC

Aug 13, 2018

Very interesting course. Alumni viewpoints, pop-up questions, and interactive dialogues all made the course more engaging. Each video was a good length for informational content and attentiveness.

26 - 50 of 380 Reviews for International Leadership and Organizational Behavior

By BATOUL A

Jul 02, 2020

Such useful course not only for being international leader, it's also useful and imoprtant for anyone's life especially if he's living abroad. Amazing teacher that keeps you active all the time, and that motiveted me to finish the course within 5 days. All the significant elements for a complete course are there, great teacher, real leaders' interviews and experiences , clever quizzes questions. Thank you

By Sandra R

An enriching course from which I learned a lot about leadership, more specifically, international leadership, and how it relates with an organization. It also taught me a lot- although, I'm sure we were only given the basics (but that was very enlightening already) about culture and its interactions in human relationships and leadership. Thank you for making it available and for free on Coursera.

By Lina R

Feb 23, 2020

This was practical, concrete and yet extremely insightful course. It goes beyond what we all think is important for international leadership. It gives practical things that you can apply immediately. I loved the format of interviews, cases, interactions with all kinds of alumni and members of the university.

It was really outstanding! Thank you very much and all the best in expanding this further

By Lakshmi N N

Aug 15, 2017

Wonderful course and the instructor has used many different ways to drive the point for better understanding. I have learnt a great deal from this course and i also get the feeling that i m just scratching the surface. I look forward for the courses from Bocconi. Thanks a lot for the wonderful course and I am sure that this is course is going to create a great impact in my career and life.

By Otto H

Jan 13, 2016

This was an excellent course. The delivery was engaging and well presented and the concepts covered provided a fascinating insight in to the impact of international cultures on all aspects of organisational interaction and behaviour. There was an excellent mix of academic models, case study discussion and real life examples from international leaders. I thoroughly enjoyed participating!

By Sara D G

May 03, 2020

Extremely useful and interesting course. It gave me more insights on effective communication, cultural understanding, motivation and conflict management. It will surely have a positive impact both on my professional and private experience. The lessons are well structured. Professor Franz Wohlgezogen is an outstanding professional and teacher, always very clear and entertaining.

By Anjali

Jul 06, 2020

This was a wonderful course and I have learned so much from it. The way it was organised and planned was the best thing about it. The lecturer was really good, he knew how to present the knowledge in a fun, applicable way and always gave us different examples and sources from where we could learn a lot more about the topic in hand. Thank you so much it was very useful for us.

By Massimo C

Sep 23, 2019

I really appreciated the course. Lessons are study material are of very good quality. I saved them and I am sure I will go thrugh them again and again. After a couple of weeks I already started to pay attention to details in my behavior with international contacts that I was not considering before. I liked the focus on netwrok a low as well as the conflic resolution week.

By Pawana S

Apr 18, 2020

The course is quite helpful in todays context of globalization where you have to interact with cross cultural behaviors and work values it gives good insight with case studies ,However it would be more helpful if there is live examples of role play not just descriptive but also like in real term as an example to relative directly.

By Venkatesh

Jun 20, 2017

Really loved the course and learnt a lot. Thanks to Assistant Professor Franz Wohlgezogen for giving this MOOC a wonderful structure. Thanks to Università Bocconi and all the others who contributed in making the last 6 weeks very engaging and interesting. Hope to be an alumni of this prestigious institute one day and share my learning with the future generations :)

By ESMERALDA M F C

Jun 28, 2020

It´s been really interesting and easy to follow. I have enjoyed all the readings videos and I have got quite a lot of information to be read and followed from now on. The topics are very well explained and presented so that even a person out of the business world can fully understand it all. A very good approach, a good practice for what they preach :) Grazie!

By LF E

May 12, 2020

This course gives you a theoretical understanding of leadership in transcultural teams or followers. It helps you understand the importance of motivation, engagement, networks and conflict resolution strategies a leader should work on when dealing with a transcultural teams. I really enjoyed it! thank you so much for giving us access to such amazing material.

By tzenh.nana

Oct 16, 2016

it wat the first course i manage to complete and i'm very exitied about that! Nevertheless i found this course very helpful and even though my current job has nothing to do with leadership or something intercultural i was actually pleased to learn all this and i will definitely start to use them when i finally work on this field-which i would like to do.

By Anne C

Sep 07, 2016

Professor Franz Wohlgezogen delivers this course with excellence and precision, as well as making it interesting and interactive. He is an engaging and charismatic teacher and seems to be able to cater to several learning styles. The content, delivery and layout of materials is such that the student is well supported through to success.

I highly recommend.

By Filippo C

Jun 04, 2020

A very complete overview of the main pillars of International Leadership. The participation of many Bocconi alumni was really effective in order to exemplify how these concepts are applicable in the everyday life of an international leader or of a manager in a multicultural organization. Last but not least, a very kind and effective professor and host.

By Pawan A

Mar 05, 2018

It is a nice introductory course. It provides insight to many leadership qualities. It also provides exposure to many common challenges and solutions to the scenarios in international arena. There are links to many resources for further exploring the leadership qualities which provide additional information. Overall it is a money well spent course.

By Dina V

Apr 03, 2020

This course is my first window to how the corporate culture and international leadership really work, as I come from a Technical/Natural sciences background. You can gain a lot of insight into Leadership (especially on an international level), Principles of managing people, Working in a multicultural setting, and much more. Strongly recommend.

By Makis I

May 07, 2020

Very good course. Instructor is very effective, very clear and show great and contagious interest on the material; interactive sessions with market practitioners well designed and delivered for max understanding. I recommend it to anyone that needs an intro to multicultural leadership but especially to young professionals with "big dreams".

By Alfred L

Jun 18, 2020

This is an excellent course that helps us to understand how our leadership has a deep impact in our followers and how intercultural relation will make us to manage situation inf different ways.

I want to thank to Frantz and Bocconi for this well-structured course and all the knowledge that I completely sure I will use in my daily work life.

By Janani

May 01, 2020

This course is a fantastic, comprehensive learning experience that teaches you so much about Cross-cultural Leadership and OB with real-life examples and crystal-clear theories. I thoroughly enjoyed the curriculum and am grateful for the insights that I have received from this course. Thank you, Bocconi and Coursera!

By Aditya p

Knowledge is the power of success as this course contribute a loot to develop future as well as making master of your self

The teacher and the University it self have a outstanding course and inicative to develop me

I recommend you to please do this course

Once again I thank franz wohlgezogen and bocconi

By Ethel V P

Apr 24, 2020

I did enjoy the course and the way it was set up, including the case scenarios, the real life interview and the additional reading materials. It was a nice discovery journey, which has helped me a lot to think to my strengths and weaknesses while learning more about leadership.

And I did love Franz jokes :D:D:D

By Xhuljana

Excellent course. I strongly suggest everyone regardless of their academic or professional status to take a look at this course. It really helps to broaden your perspective on leadership. I enjoyed every lecture and the structure it has with, lectures, slides, and quizzes make it feel real and accomplishing.

By Sokolovska M

May 03, 2020

Really great course that require consistency and out of box thinking. I’m absolutely sure that now I have more clear ideas and new tips how to manage an international team. I can recommend it to everyone who work in foreign country and not only, to open new prospectives and to be ready to meet any challenge.

By Najib a a

Mar 02, 2020

I learned a lot about managing an international team. I learned to motivate followers and motivation methods. I learned about the motives and effects of social culture. I learned to build social networks and their types. I learned about conflict management, discord, conflict culture and painful leadership.