Back to International Leadership and Organizational Behavior

Learner Reviews & Feedback for International Leadership and Organizational Behavior by Università Bocconi

Leaders in business and non-profit organizations increasingly work across national borders and in multi-cultural environments. You may work regularly with customers or suppliers abroad, or be part of a globally dispersed cross-functional team, or an expatriate manager on an international assignment. You may be a member of a global online community, or a development aid worker collaborating with an international network of partner organizations. In all of these contexts, your effectiveness as a leader depends on how well you understand and are able to manage individual and collective behaviors in an intercultural context. In this course – together with a team of Bocconi expert faculty and Bocconi alumni – we’ll explore the theory and practice of international and intercultural leadership and organizational behavior. Social science research has revealed systematic ways in which our behavior differs across cultural contexts – enabling us to more effectively work across borders. Insights from psychology, neuroscience, sociology and anthropology, from communication studies and from management scholarship allow us to understand what shapes individual and group decision making, what enhances or weakens team performance, and how we can build and use our social networks. And the shared practical experience of international leaders allows us to identify concrete steps to enhancing intercultural leadership competence, and to be cognizant of common leadership challenges. Learning about organizational behavior provides a great opportunity to develop your leadership skills and to reflect on your own behavioral tendencies. How do you usually make important decisions? What motivates you and how do you try motivating others? How successfully do you leverage and integrate diverse skills and views in a team? Do you prefer professional relationships with a close-knit group of trusted colleagues, or with a far-flung network of acquaintances from all walks of life? If you really want to learn how organizations behave and take decisions and at the same time develop leadership skills, then this is the course for you. We are looking forward to welcoming you and supporting you on this journey of learning and discovery. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1 - Leadership Acumen. International perspective on leadership, common traps & challenges, and opportunities of intercultural leadership. Week 2 - Navigating Culture. Impact of cultural differences on organizations, decoding culture, culture classifications and stereotyping, developing intercultural intelligence. Week 3 - Communication. Communication and its impact on leadership identity and relationships, managing communication to improve decision making, steps for developing your intercultural communication skills. Week 4 - Motivation. Views on individual motivation, cultural differences in motivation, developing motivation and commitment in teams. Week 5 - Networking. Patterns of interpersonal relationships in/across organizations, strategically developing social networks and social capital, norms for networking across cultures. Week 6 - Conflict. Effective / defective conflict management approaches, dealing with ethical dilemmas. Thanks to the participation of our alumni and of the Bocconi Alumni Association, participants will have practical insights on international leadership. RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND All are welcome! Some prior exposure to basic issues of organizational behavior (communication, decision making, motivation, etc.) is useful, but not required....

AY

Jan 07, 2017

I completed this course while working abroad and I loved it. The course helped be to have a better understanding and respect for different cultures in life and in the work environment.\n\nThank You!

GC

Aug 13, 2018

Very interesting course. Alumni viewpoints, pop-up questions, and interactive dialogues all made the course more engaging. Each video was a good length for informational content and attentiveness.

401 - 425 of 475 Reviews for International Leadership and Organizational Behavior

By Muhamad S V K

May 23, 2020

Great

By Mona A A

Aug 09, 2020

good

By Gargi S

Feb 13, 2018

Good

By SUMATHIRAVINDRAN

Hi

Aug 10, 2017

N

By Andrew R J N

Jul 21, 2020

I am an experienced International Manager but I found this course both reassuring and useful. For parts I could find my own processes and thinking supported by the theory. Even parts where I haven't formalized my thinking but 'kind of know it' was supported by the course, This was very reassuring. I also learnt a lot particularly in Networking and Conflict Management. I hadn't previously considered the cultural impact in this respect.

My only frustration (irritation) was the way the lecturer speaks with sentences ending with things like "if you please". This adds nothing and sounds like a non-native English speaker trying hard to sound either smart of posh. To a native English speaker it sounds irritating. I even wonder if it makes comprehension of the course more difficult when English is challenging for a student.

By Kawita T

Jul 24, 2020

This course is beneficial to my future employment and I learned a lot. I liked the way the course was structured, but some videos were too long, and some accents difficult to understand. However, that is good practice, as I do work in international environments. I do wish the host would not use too much of "so", it is very disturbing and also the pauses -eh, er, eh , er - are not pleasant.

Overall, I have enjoyed the exercises and quizzes, as they assess what I have understood from each chapter. I look forward to joining more relevant courses on Coursera

By Ms. S L

Very effectively planned course. I appreciate the effort put in by Mr.Franz Wohlgezogen in bringing together different opinions that have added to the overall knowledge disseminated through this course. However, certain areas need deeper explanation and a slower pace of teaching as at times the course excavates interesting areas but does not delve into it adequately. This is especially applicable to week 4 and 5 of the course. Overall , a good course on international leadership. Commendable effort by the team!