Back to The Manager's Toolkit: A Practical Guide to Managing People at Work

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Manager's Toolkit: A Practical Guide to Managing People at Work by University of London

The aim of this course is to give you a practical guide to managing people at work. It does not matter whether you are a first time manager in a shop or a middle manager in an office environment; the same skills apply to every work place. In the course you will engage with some HR theories and then see how they translate into every day working life. At the end of the course we hope you will be better equipped to choose a suitable employee, to motivate and appraise your team, to manage conflict in the work place and to lead and make decision on a day to day basis....

PP
Aug 15, 2020

Excellent! The contents are great for any manager that want to make a significant job within any organization. Clear and key concepts for everyday activities. I enjoyed every single lesson. Thank you!

OA
Jul 23, 2020

If you want to understand how to mange people at your work place, understand conflict management, and conflict resolution, my dear this is the best practical oriented and explicit course to take.

501 - 525 of 544 Reviews for The Manager's Toolkit: A Practical Guide to Managing People at Work

By Dr. K

Jul 1, 2017

T

By Olga S

Jul 5, 2020

There is a lot of useful information. However, some ways of evaluation are not that appropriate. I don't get the feeling that I was really tested and can't be sure that I've got all the necessary information as in the test I was asked who said that, or who was the founder of a theory. The course is aimed at being relevant at practice and this doesn't give the feeling of getting useful information for practice as you are asked about certain theories and names. There is also a lot of not interesting and to my mind not useful reading which could be presented in a more interactive way.

By Bogdan S

Apr 15, 2020

The course provides you with very basic knowledge on people management/HRM within the organisation perspective. Topics could be covered deeper and wider and the course materials could be more relevant and updated (we have some articles and textbooks dated 2003).

Could be useful for those who has little or no experience in people and organisational management, otherwise I would recommend to find a more extensive and comprehensive course.

By Allie L

May 5, 2020

The course was good for a basic understanding of management and will help frame my approach to management in the future. Unfortunately, a lot of the literature felt dated. For example, it referenced a 1970's paper stating women and men place different values on pay at work. I question the relevance of this 50 years later... In fact, I don't think any of the literature was written in this century.

By Yifen J

Jun 11, 2019

I think this was a good overview of managing people at work, and thought provoking in the most basic of sense- it draws awareness to the multiple facets of managing people that one may or may not have had to think about in their own daily life. I thought the reading was a bit deep and unnecessary to pass the course but it was a good supplement for those who want to delve deeper on their own time.

By Stuart N

Apr 22, 2020

Most of the material presented was pretty much common sense, but still a good reinforcement. The quality of the course materials was pretty low though; there were lots of typos, bad grammar, bad speaking habits on the videos, and broken links for the required reading. I suggest that the program administrators fix these ASAP to reinforce the learning objectives of the course.

By Nicholas R

Jan 27, 2019

Although this is not a bad cpourse, I think there are others out there that are better, and more worthy of your spare time. I have given a more detailed review of this course plus a few others offered by coursera on by blog, as linked below:

By Narmada N

The course has given me a brief understanding of how to manage people at workplace and made me realise the various issues pertaining to the workplace. It's good to know these facts beforehand itself as it will help us do better at our workplace.

By Dean A

Dec 5, 2019

Mostly interesting but some of the readings were very long, waffly and tedious. Week 4 was quite boring. It didn't really say anything useful. Just a framework and vocabulary for thinking about employee evaluation and development.

By Sathyajith M 1

May 23, 2020

For a person approaching this from a political science perspective, this course did provides some interesting insights into how management theory works, though there were shortcoming in the vagueness of Managing Conflict at Work.

By Sejal

The concepts are good but the presentation is average. I personally enjoyed only the leadership, decision theory and performance management sections. The questionnaires for other sections are very poorly crafted.

By Julie M

Oct 23, 2018

I was hoping this would be something that I could apply immediately but for me it was a bit more theoretical and not practical. I found it interesting but not something I can apply immediately at work.

By Anand H

Jan 22, 2018

There were links that were recommended reading material, especially ones that pointed to a CIPD site. None of them opened. and despite raising it in forum, there was no response from instructors.

By Kyle W

Apr 1, 2020

A number of grammatical errors and contradictions in source materials. Additionally a number of source materials are no longer available. Overall however, it is a good overview course.

By TERESITA C

Nov 27, 2020

It would have been helpful if all the lecturers had visual aids. I would prefer to see the visual aids rather than watch a lecturer deliver their lectures.

By Dunja V

Mar 7, 2017

The Course was fine. I would have rated it better if there were more practical examples, advice and real-life situations rather than so much theory.