Back to Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows by Tel Aviv University

For centuries we have collectively marveled at plant diversity and form—from Charles Darwin’s early fascination with stems and flowers to Seymour Krelborn’s distorted doting in Little Shop of Horrors. This course intends to present an intriguing and scientifically valid look at how plants themselves experience the world—from the colors they see to the sensations they feel. Highlighting the latest research in genetics and more, we will delve into the inner lives of plants and draw parallels with the human senses to reveal that we have much more in common with sunflowers and oak trees than we may realize. We’ll learn how plants know up from down, how they know when a neighbor has been infested by a group of hungry beetles, and whether they appreciate the music you’ve been playing for them or if they’re just deaf to the sounds around them. We’ll explore definitions of memory and consciousness as they relate to plants in asking whether we can say that plants might even be aware of their surroundings. This highly interdisciplinary course meshes historical studies with cutting edge modern research and will be relevant to all humans who seek their place in nature. This class has three main goals: 1. To introduce you to basic plant biology by exploring plant senses (sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste, balance). 2. To introduce you to biological research and the scientific method. 3. To get the student to question life in general and what defines us as humans. Once you've taken this course, if you are interested in a more in-depth study of plants, check out my follow-up course, Fundamentals of Plant Biology (https://www.coursera.org/learn/plant-biology/home/welcome). In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

DS
Aug 14, 2021

I really liked this course, the professor was engaging, clear, and informative, and did a great job explaining and simplifying the more complex biology topics so that it was digestible for beginners.

RV
Dec 12, 2016

Love the clarity of the instructors deliver which is supported by great explanations and most importantly visual aids & demonstrations. Ps... Especially loved the bloopers at the end. Nice treat! :)

76 - 100 of 446 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

By Amani M E A

Apr 21, 2021

Wonderful Course! I have enjoyed every bit - apart from being informative and interesting. Professor Daniel Chamovitz Passion for the subject is amazing - I could feel his positive vibes in every lecture - Thank you so much - you can't imagine how much I enjoyed this course

Jun 20, 2017

The instructor is enthusiastic, entertaining, and does an excellent job of structuring the lectures to include interesting experiments, big-picture overview, and enough detail to dig deeper. The quizzes supported my learning well, too. Would highly recommend this course.

By Сергій С

Sep 21, 2017

Daniel Chamovitz is a great lecturer and the course is very interesting! I would recommend it for everyone: for mature persons - to better understand their plants, for youth - to wake up interest in botany (especially if school program is boring as it was at my school).

By Melissa S

Sep 24, 2020

As a liberal arts person with almost no science knowledge, I found this course to be sometimes challenging, almost always interesting, and ultimately rewarding. Very well paced and structured. Packed with more info than the usual free online course. Would recommend!

By Mohamed F F

Jul 3, 2018

Professor Daniel Chamovitz! Hewww..... This course is like a roller coaster in knowledge about plants. Everything is crisp and clear; gives an amazing learning experience. And with a special regard to Prof. Daniel, HE IS ABSOLUTELY NAILING THE TEACHING SKILLS!!!!!!!

By Yan J

Oct 20, 2019

The class content is interesting and illuminating; the organization of the site is extremely well-thought through and helpful for learning! They deliver to you the right supplementary material at the right time. The best organization I've seen for online courses.

By Duncan C

Jun 22, 2019

This course was absolutely wonderful and helped me remember how much I absolutely love plants and how they work. The professor was wonderful, very charismatic, and the lessons were an absolute joy to watch and engage in. I would absolutely recommend this course!

By clairewing

Mar 23, 2020

Excellent opportunity to learn while being sequestered in home during COVID crisis. Thanks for this class!

Great it was free as well! Book dovetailed well with videos, which were a good length, succinct. Loved the bloopers and seeing the lab at the end. More!

By Miguel Á R G

Apr 25, 2021

Very interesting and well explained though just a little bit difficult if you dont know anything or little about plant biology, but if you are patient and persistant it is not impossible. I strongly recomend it to anybody who is interested in plant biology.

By John S

Nov 12, 2019

Very good course. Interesting premise...that plants have some senses similar to humans. The professor presents the material in a very captivating manner, and include discussion of a number of experiments and case studies to apply the information learned.

By Michael W

Mar 7, 2021

A fascinating course for one like me with little science background who is seeking to redress the balance in senior years. I particularly enjoyed the genetics content and appreciated the course being so up to date as far as recent research is concerned.

By Lauren Z

Apr 21, 2018

I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. It has introduced me to knowledge that help me to better understand plant life, specifically through the use of reference to multiple experiments. I would recommend this course to anyone and look forward to part II!

By S. A V

Jun 23, 2020

I really enjoyed learning about the sensory world of plants. I have always loved plants but now I have a new respect for them. Thanks Prof. Chamovitz for making the course easy to understand and for encouraging your students to interact via the forum.

By Abigail O

Apr 20, 2020

I started this course in covid-19 quarantine thinking I'd learn things that would help me become a better gardener. Got way more than I was expecting and am super excited to take the follow-up course. Really fun, fascinating, and clearly explained.

By ANUSHA. T K

May 23, 2020

Iam very happy to do this course. The clarity of the lectures are definitely the plus point of this course. Iam eagerly waiting to do the part 2 of this course. Thank you so much sir for made me more enthusiastic to learn more about the plants.

By Davide A

Jun 11, 2020

I've loved the structure of the course. Discovering plant senses and at the same time interrogating about our senses. Chamovitz is very clear and was very easy to understand every single word he said. I'm going to attend the Part II asap!

By CLAUDIO A P M

Sep 7, 2020

Recomiendo este curso de todas formas, el profesor Daniel Chamovitz es muy empatico y claro al enseñar, Aprendí ademas sobre muchas materias ademas de las mencionadas en la introducción , fue un verdadero agrado participar en este curso.

By Kenan Y T

Oct 8, 2020

Prof. Chamovitz has a superb enthusiasm that motivates me to learn more. Additionaly, the course deeply enlarged my vision about plant sciences. I am excited to see the second part of this course. Thank you for making this available.

By Marta A G

Apr 27, 2020

Lo recomiendo a todos los que estén interesado en fisiología vegetal o simplemente tengan curiosidad por saber cómo funcionan las plantas. Me ha parecido muy didáctico, bien documentado con experimentos y con ejemplos muy claros.

By Betel L R

Dec 12, 2018

This course provides a wide range of knowledge on plants capability of the surrounding perception, functioning and responses. This course provides you with a guide for the things you'll have to learn to better understand plants.

By Marium G

Mar 27, 2018

Feeling blessed on receiving lectures from Prof. Daniel Chamovitz sitting at home. This all happens due to Coursera that a person like me from a third world country is getting knowledge from top-notch researchers of the world.

By Vishal L

I enjoyed this course. This course tells about hidden side of plant which we don't studied in our regular classes. Also one thing which I liked is, they have given lot of experiments to explain particular hypothesis or fact.

By Eric H

Jun 22, 2018

An extremely stimulating and worthwhile course. Very clear and well-illustrated lectures; when this course is accompanied by Part II about plant biology, the two courses lead to greater insight into botany and agriculture.

By Jonathan Z

May 1, 2018

The course was advanced level biology from a non-biology educated students perspective, but provided a wealth of information and understanding of plants for anyone willing to put forth the efforts to complete this course!

By Beatriz G V

I enjoy this course very much! It was a very pleasant way to spend my weeks. Thank you, professor Daniel Chamovitz! I already love plants, but you make me even more interested in learn more about this amazing organisms.