Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

AR

Nov 02, 2015

I have learned so much and I love D's energy and the avid participation of the other students. Will definitely pass on what I've learned. Can't wait for more courses like this in the future! :)

JK

Aug 22, 2016

Wonderful, learning about writing poetry here is IT! I will always use this to go forward and once in a while come back to freshen up. Thank you, there's nothing else out there like this class!

101 - 125 of 345 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Justyna A

May 11, 2017

I wish all of my professors passed on knowledge like you did!!! It was theoretical and it was fun, it was practical and stimulating! I definitely wanna keep on writing, so thanks!

By Ummu S B E

Feb 01, 2019

Amazing course, very well structured. Helped develop my poetic voice and provided technical knowledge as well. Experimented in poetic forms I'd never heard of. Thank you so much.

By Zoe C

Oct 28, 2016

Fun and concise bite sized lectures. Challenging yet manageable tasks to complete. If you want to begin to explore the basics of poetry in a fun way, this is the course for you!

By Vinesh B

Really enjoyed this course along with coursework which involved submitting poems and reviewing other participants' submissions. Very good introduction to the subject matter.

By lisa r

Jun 10, 2016

I loved every part of this course. The tutorials were brilliant, the assignments were fun but the most important thing is that the course made me want to write more poetry.

By Michelle C C

Jan 04, 2019

This course has so much substance in it, very engaging and lively. I loved the way Doug teaches and passes across lessons! Perhaps I should come take a course at CALARTS.

By Karen J

Jan 13, 2017

A very easy yet enlightening course.. Doug is a great professor..funny too! Assignments were very easy and fun to do.. got a lot to learn in a short time... Great course!

By Dan B

Nov 17, 2015

This was an excellent course. The material was relevant, the assignments were meaningful, and the instructor was effective and motivating. I highly recommend this course.

By Jesus J L

Dec 16, 2016

This course was very helpful to me in understanding poetry a little better. The professor was very engaging and I hope he will teach another poetry course in the future.

By Jayashri R S

Mar 15, 2019

Thank you for introducing me to poetry that I was never aware of before.I thank the mentor and my peers for their constant virtual support.Looking forward to learn more

By Cynthia C

May 07, 2016

Thus far, this has been the most enjoyable course that I've taken in Coursera. Thanks, Mr. Kearney and CalArts. I hope you can make Sharpened Visions Parts 2 and 3 :)

By LeAnn S

May 07, 2020

I was very disappointed to receive an 87.5 on my revised last poem. It was partially because I a native English speaker did not understand my images or colloquiums.🙁

By Julie B

Nov 30, 2016

I love poetry but I have to admit that this wasn't my cup of tea so to speak. This was a different kind of poetry and the instructor was kind of odd...in a good way.

By roz h

Jul 05, 2017

I found this course fun, practical and very, very useful. The peer process was excellent and Douglas was thoroughly entertaining and engaging. Highly recommended.

By Leeland J

Oct 08, 2019

The instructor in very engaging. I am learning poetry to have a stronger understanding of voice and style, and I believe I will get infinity more from this course.

By Zubair F A

Jan 01, 2019

This was a brilliant course. I audited the course with interest, and completed it. It acquainted me with essentials of writing and understanding poetry. Brilliant!

By Arielle M

Such an enjoyable course! Doug is a very enthusiastic professor, and there wasn't a single module or exercise that felt unnecessary or redundant. I learned a lot!

By Jenny R A

Aug 23, 2015

I am loving this course. It opens new stanzas in my psyche! Opens me up to the rhythms of poetry all around. What a great fun and enlightening experience. Thanks!

By Shane A

Mar 20, 2019

Great skill-sharpener for practicing poets and literature teachers. Doug is a very engaging teacher. His selection of poems is thought-provoking and informative.

By Catherine D

Jul 05, 2017

I've really enjoyed exploring poetry during this course! Ilso feel more confident about the basic terminology of poetry and how to read poems better! Thank you!

By Warren D L

Nov 08, 2019

This course did a wonderful job of introducing me to the basics of poetry. I feel that I have a much better understanding as to how a poem should be structured

By Don P

Sep 13, 2015

Next best thing to a face-to-face seminar: write a new poem to a prompt from Kearns, listen to your classmates' reviews of your poem; revise, revise, revise.

By Herman A

I really enjoyed this course. The instructor is engaging and makes learning poetry, something which I used to find foreign and daunting, fun and accessible.

By Srushty

This course had opened many ways for me to look at poems and writings more profoundly. Thank you so much sir and the team from enhancing and helping us. ❤

By Balaji V

Apr 18, 2019

Such an eye opener course.

Beautifully presented.

The whole course was a poetry by itself :)

Thank you Doug - California Institute of the Arts - Coursera