Back to Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods by University of Pennsylvania

4.3

Learners discover how apply to research methods to their study of Positive Psychology. In this course, we study with Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft. Through an exploration their work "True Grit" and interviews with researchers and practitioners, you develop a research hypothesis and learn how to understand the difference between internal and external validity. You also begin to understand and apply the strengths and weaknesses associated with different types of measurements and evaluation designs. You then interpret the results in an empirical study. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science and Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions....

RW
Dec 27, 2019

Though i have nightmares of research design from my undergraduate career, this puts a neat spin on it and reminds the sheer importance of it. Thanks for the reminder of what is important UPENN!

MW
Oct 23, 2020

It was a wonderful class! While I was expecting something different than learning about research and how to read research papers, that is my fault for putting my expectations on the class.

151 - 175 of 291 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

By David J G

Mar 11, 2019

Yet another excellent class!

By Preston M

Sep 22, 2017

b

By Shiuan L

Jun 29, 2021

I​ think this course is a good inclusion in the Specialization in Positive Psychology program. As a former grad student, I recognize the importance of being an educated consumer of research, and even as a practitioner, this is necessary training. This course is much more demanding than all the other courses in the specialization, so one should be prepared to take lots of notes and rewatch some lectures. The material is dense and I think the instructors already have done a pretty good job of trying to pack so much material into such a short course. That being said, there are some design flaws with the course, including the assignment scoring rubric in week 3 (I've put in a note to the forum and hopefully that will get fixed). The practitioner interviews are thoughtful but without a good grasp of the basics, it may seem like filler or kind of confusing. The other lectures are very dense. Although it was just right for me who already has a research background, I can imagine it being frustrating to understand for someone who hasn't had any type of research design training or whose native language isn't English. I recommend this course only in context of the positive psychology specialization.

By Jessica C

Jan 6, 2018

Truly, I would characterize this as more than a 4-star experience. My only reservation from a full-on 5 is that many of the activities required more of a research design/research science mindset than I was really prepared for given my interest in taking the course and specialization in positive psychology. I appreciate very much how highly valued understanding research methods was presented. Being able to apply that knowledge in the specific peer-reviewed activities was less useful to me though. Specifically, the rubric's associated for grading required a higher level of methodology than I felt warranted in my circumstances. My choice was either to imagine/conceptualize a study that I actually had no intention of ever seeing through (and to a degree of specificity that far exceeded what I would really consider for a hypothetical scenario), or to put forward more personally relevant application but which I knew did not fully connect to the scoring system. That said: loved loved loved the videos, lectures, and practitioner testimonials. The readings were rigorous but very relevant and interesting.