Back to Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods by University of Pennsylvania

4.3

Learners discover how apply to research methods to their study of Positive Psychology. In this course, we study with Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft. Through an exploration their work "True Grit" and interviews with researchers and practitioners, you develop a research hypothesis and learn how to understand the difference between internal and external validity. You also begin to understand and apply the strengths and weaknesses associated with different types of measurements and evaluation designs. You then interpret the results in an empirical study. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science and Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions....

RW
Dec 27, 2019

Though i have nightmares of research design from my undergraduate career, this puts a neat spin on it and reminds the sheer importance of it. Thanks for the reminder of what is important UPENN!

MW
Oct 23, 2020

It was a wonderful class! While I was expecting something different than learning about research and how to read research papers, that is my fault for putting my expectations on the class.

201 - 225 of 291 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

By Morgan M

May 3, 2019

This was a challenging course- there was not a lot of attendance when I went through so I had to wait and reestablish my deadlines twice to get the opportunity to review my peers and be graded by peers.

By Sue B

Aug 4, 2017

I took this course to understand how to apply Positive Psychology. This course focuses heavily on creating research, which was not my goal. I did appreciate the module on how to UNDERSTAND research.

By Laya A

Jun 18, 2020

Went in expecting for the course to be heavier on the character/grit material so I was surprised how much more focused it was on research methods, but I am satisfied nonetheless!

By Печенкина А А

May 22, 2020

Overview of research methods was ease, but clear. Grit research was interesting. But it was a bit messed up because themes of psychology and research methods were mixed.

By Marlene S

Feb 5, 2018

There were quite a few mistakes (even in titles) in the written content, such as spelling, grammar, etc. which makes learning less enjoyable.

By Alvin L

Dec 24, 2018

I have learnt a lot everyday attending the courses. However, there are really parts which I find them a bit difficult to understand.

By Elisabeth d R

Apr 8, 2019

Learned a lot of valuable things on research studies which will help me better analyze. And the grit topic was very interesting.

By Kenneth M

Aug 19, 2019

I love the teaching and learning of the course a great deal. Waiting on the peers to grade and that process was not as fun.

By Evelisa Q

Mar 1, 2019

I think the material in this course is hard and not very easy to grasp, but the videos and exercises made it doable.

By Tamara B M

Jul 5, 2018

It's a little more nuts and bolts of research that doesn't really interest me as much as some of the other courses.

By Tania M A

May 13, 2018

Great course! Altough, I think a different level of interaction from both facilitators would be more interesting

By Lisa B

Jun 27, 2017

Very informative. Valuable information to have a general understanding of. Thank you for sharing this with us.

By Lim Z

Nov 2, 2019

A bit on the dry side but learnt a lot of technical skills, especially how to approach a research paper.

By Steve O

Jul 6, 2019

Interesting and valuable mixing a knowledge of grit with a useful introduction to research methodology.

By phyllis

Aug 23, 2019

Thanks this course, I know how to make more accurate experiment and make me know more useful method.

By Jusleine D

Aug 2, 2017

I enjoyed the materials shared, I just did not like the quality of the recorded videos

By Matthew G G

Mar 5, 2018

Excellent course overall. I wish there was a way to download the powerpoint slides.

By li h

Oct 20, 2018

Made me broad-minded about research and observation knowledge. Great course!

By Terry C

Aug 23, 2017

A good course, but it makes heavy weather of understanding research issues.

By Hans A

Oct 29, 2019

Much too theoretical, talks by Duckworth were very interesting and funny.

By Richard B

Jan 13, 2018

Good basic introduction to research methods form an academic perspective.

By Kevin S

Apr 26, 2018

Great professors and content. The only issue is I don't like research!!!

By Madeleine

Jul 12, 2018

I would have liked to learn more about Grit than Research Methods.

By Dr. M A M

Jul 11, 2017

un curso necesario para validar todos los procesos metodológicos .

By Jane H W

Jul 21, 2017

Liked this course, Content was a good review of research methods.