Back to Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods by University of Pennsylvania

4.3

Learners discover how apply to research methods to their study of Positive Psychology. In this course, we study with Dr. Angela Duckworth and Dr. Claire Robertson-Kraft. Through an exploration their work "True Grit" and interviews with researchers and practitioners, you develop a research hypothesis and learn how to understand the difference between internal and external validity. You also begin to understand and apply the strengths and weaknesses associated with different types of measurements and evaluation designs. You then interpret the results in an empirical study. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science and Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions....

RW
Dec 27, 2019

Though i have nightmares of research design from my undergraduate career, this puts a neat spin on it and reminds the sheer importance of it. Thanks for the reminder of what is important UPENN!

MW
Oct 23, 2020

It was a wonderful class! While I was expecting something different than learning about research and how to read research papers, that is my fault for putting my expectations on the class.

276 - 293 of 293 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Character, Grit and Research Methods

By Danya S

Feb 10, 2019

I am not a science/math person and I found this course very difficult to get through. I had to keep going though, you can't exactly quit a class about grit :)

By Dana C

Dec 28, 2019

The only interesting part were the Angela Duckworth parts..All other aspects of the course were quite boring

By Ayana S

Jul 2, 2020

I wish the content focused more on grit and not on research methods

By Fabien C

Sep 11, 2018

Very technical around scientific studies

By Yousra M

Sep 5, 2021

quite dry

By Jigar V

Mar 7, 2021

One of the worst course structures I have come across. This was such a disappointment. The way the course is laid out is so confusing. The way Research as a subject has been spread out, it is in bits and pieces. Neither do I get a full idea of it nor in parts. I felt cheated that I am paying so much and I have not been able to take back anything worthwhile from this specialization.

Grit - is a good topic to understand. The idea of marrying Angela Duckworth's videos with the course was by far the biggest errors. The material kept shifting from Research to her classroom lectures. So many videos of her classes are so incomplete - hardly able to decipher what is being told and what are we to learn of the topic. Her sessions were inaudible too - very low on volume and a lot of things spoken of that didn't have a context to refer to. As suggested by others, this should have been a combination of all her videos in a single week for a far better understanding.

The other videos had the facilitator speaking so fast - as though she was reading the material out of her screen and everything was going on as a recording. Nothing was spoken with the view to teach but just to apprise people of the knowledge on Research. I took 3 months myself to finish this course because I lost interest in the first few videos. Spent time and money but the grit to finish this course was so poor. No passion and no pleasure even in perseverance.

My request to Coursera - please re-visit this part of the course. It has been very very poorly done and laid out. The first 3 modules speak of hypothesis, data collection, data analysis and suddenly the 4th module speaks of Research Design - which was so difficult to connect with all that was taught in the first 3 weeks. I had to google most of the topics to understand why Research Design came in last and none of the videos spoke of how to relate to what has been taught already.

In my opinion - very very disappointed. I really wish this was an optional subject I could drop off than to specialize in. Good luck to those who do not have an option to let go of this.

By Resha H

Either the class is on grit OR research. Not both. It felt like I was taking two classes. One that interested me, and one that didn't.

I was interested in the grit side, not the research side. There should be a class just on grit and then a class just on research, this way people who are interested in the subject they want to learn about can focus on just that topic. As an educator myself, having things so choppy was very disorientating to the learning process.

I feel like this class was not put together very well in any sense. All the quiz questions were about research and not about grit. All of the prompts were about research and not about grit. There were not enough videos on grit. If you want to study research, this is probably the class for you. The lecturer explained research very well. If you don't want to study research and you just wanted to learn about grit, this class is not for you.

Lastly, the certificate is not signed by the instructors. Literally "signature" in cursive is written where the signature is supposed to be, and where the instructors name is supposed to be it says "John Doe". The whole class is half baked in my professional and educational opinion.

I lost all motivation to finish the specialization and found myself not really investing in this MOOC. I just did as little as I possibly could to get the class over with to move on to the next course. By the time I started the next course, I had lost interest, thought I still plan to finish since I already invested so much time and some money. Ironically, I have to use grit and motivation to continue what I set out to do. I would only recommend this MOOC for those who want to study research. I would not recommend this course for anyone who wants to learn about Positive Psychology.

By Edith R

Mar 4, 2018

Lectures that were rushed and often left out adequate examples, incorrect information on an in-lecture slide, link to page with poorly written notes, discussion forums for "vetting" ideas where almost no discussion activity or learning occurred, rubric that did not fully match project instructions...

I love the idea of this class, but I think it could have been a much better experience. I had to spend a lot more time to do a lot more research online in order to try to understand the material. I got 100% on all my assignments but I never felt confident that I actually understood the material. I got the impression my peers were more confused than I was based on what I saw. I love the idea of including other researchers' experiences, but the interview snippets didn't align with the concepts enough and they ended up not feeling helpful.

By Gregg H

Aug 11, 2017

This is a poorly taught course by both instructors. Angela Duckworth needs to have a microphone that keeps on broadcasting while she turns her head. Each time she turns her head and walks around the room the sound varies too much for her to be heard. I thought the course would teach me how to be grittier and how to survive the rough parts of life. The other instructor, although she has great zeal for teaching, talks way too fast for me to take notes and actually absorb anything she says. This course is a total waste of time unless you love statistics, which I don't. I would love to drop the course if there were a way to do so. Avoid this course at all costs. Poorly executed and not user friendly at all.

By Justin P

Apr 13, 2018

The research work was incredibly dull. The main points could have been covered in two sessions, the Duckworth sessions were sometimes incongruous add-ons and the readings/linked websites were often poorly written. I can only hope this is the dud course we have to endure in the middle of four excellent modules ...

By Yashowardhan C

Sep 29, 2017

I had joined this course to learn more about Grit. Sadly, the course barely had anything on grit. Rather, the course appeared to have focused on Research Methods more.

Anyone looking for Grit, may not like to take this course.

By Ramon L

Jun 26, 2017

Angela should prepare her presentations not have somebody film her while she gives a class in the middle of a lecture. At the end some of her lectures and those of the practitioners did not have transcripts posted.

By Evonne O

Feb 3, 2020

We want to learn more about Positive Psychology NOT details on research methods. Unless we intend to go into research ourselves, I found a huge portion of it unnecessary and a waste of my time.

By Ana M M

Dec 17, 2017

very interesting theme, not much interest from the teacher in doing a personalized MOOC.

By Andrew K

Jan 15, 2018

Dreadful. More evidence that positive psychology lacks rigour and is a brand.

By Angie B

Nov 1, 2017

Too much investigation and just a litlle bit on grit

By ROCIO D C R C