Back to Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills by University of Pennsylvania

Learn how to incorporate resilience interventions into your personal and professional life with Dr. Karen Reivich. In this course, you are exposed to the foundational research in resilience, including protective factors such as mental agility and optimism. Several types of resilience interventions are explored including cognitive strategies; strategies to manage anxiety and increase positive emotions such as gratitude; and a critical relationship enhancement skill. Throughout the course, you will hear examples of individuals using resilience skills in their personal and professional lives. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science, Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions and Positive Psychology: Character, Grit & Research Methods....

NE
Apr 18, 2020

I truly felt like I was in a classroom learning all the material! I greatly appreciated all of the real-world applications and hearing all of the different perspectives throughout each week and topic!

ZM
Sep 23, 2018

Excellent! There was some common sense here, but plenty of new data and tools anyone can use in both their personal and professional life. A must for every human who wants to get the most out of life.

26 - 50 of 536 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills

By Regan E

Aug 6, 2017

Taking this course was a gift to myself. The information I learned has already had an impact on the way I am thinking about resilience, the best use of my character strengths, and my being aware and sensitive to practicing Active Constructive Responses.

Resilience is my biggest challenge, and learning the specific ways of counteracting the effects of negative thinking, will benefit me, my family, and my coaching clients.

Karen Reivich, Ph.D., is a fantastic speaker and she presented the material professionally and with energy and down-to-earth enthusiasm. Her use of examples made the course that much more enjoyable.

If the transcripts from the course were contained in a book, I would run out and buy it!!

Thank you, Karen.

By Su Y

Sep 12, 2019

This is my first completed MOOC on Coursera. I have to say that when I started on the 7day free trial, I didn’t expect me to finish any of these course in this specialization. But Karen designed the whole course in such a clear and concise way that it’s just hard not to follow the syllabus. I chose to learn this specialization partly for career development, partly for my own wellbeing. And I can already feel the change in my attitude towards everyday life and interactions with other people. After almost a year of postpartum depression, I finally start to feel better and sleep better. Thank you, Karen, and everyone who’s contributed to the making of this course!

By MATTHEW F

What an incredible course! Karen is an excellent teacher - knowledgeable, passionate and sincere. Thank you to you and your team for putting something so powerful and so exciting together. I've been implementing what I've learnt into my daily life and I cannot wait to start sharing it with others too. The work you do is such a valuable contribution to humanity. Thank you!

By Agnieszka S

May 22, 2020

Two first modules were super interesting, whereas the two last were a repetition of the course done with dr James Pawelski and dr Martin Seligman. I give this particular note feeling, that it could have been an amazing experience if more background knowledge was provided (here I refer to poorly built up Reading section with not working links to the specific literature). The visual side of the course was also poor, whereas dressing up some tables, putting in some scientific evidence, help a lot while acquring new information.

By Costantino S

Apr 1, 2018

I appreciated this course, but I believe it repeats many concepts already given in Martin Seligman's first course in this specialisation; I expected more focus on the actual topic of resilience.

By Anchit A

May 8, 2020

Although the content was good the presentation could have been a 100 times better. For me it was like a monologue and i kept on losing interest in videos very often.

By iolanda m

Nov 30, 2020

Good only if it's your first time on this subject

By Shan F

Dec 11, 2019

There's a lot of theory behind the science of it (75% of the course is theory), but only 1 or 2 application methods per issue. A lot of the material is also repetitive if you have taken Course 1 and 2 of the Positive Psychology Course from U Penn.

By Andrew K

Jan 15, 2018

Maybe I lost patience with this course by now as I didn't study much of this one

By Stella O

Jun 17, 2020

It was an excellent course. I was very familiar with the course material because I am certified as a Master Resilience Trainer Level I in the military. Most of the course material was similar. The course was very well presented, and the videos, and assignments were very helpful in learning the course. It was like a refresher for me. Also, I had one of the optional books by Professor Dr. Martin Seligman before the course, and I found that very helpful in completing some of the assignments, most especially the one on character strengths. I found out something interesting during the course in that character strength ratings are not iron clad. They can change based on one situation. Also, resilience is a two part skill in that there is resilience in coping with things, and resilience that enables one to thrive through circumstances. I enjoyed the course, and I thought that Dr. Karen Reivitch was an exceptional instructor. The video vignettes were very helpful in learning resilience skills. However, students should not be forced to take the course as past of a subscription. I only wanted to take this course by itself because I found that that Dr. Reivitch had trained a lot of the military Master Resilience Trainers, and since I could not come for the training in person, I decided to take the coursera only to be forced into a subscription that I had to cancel to avoid excessive charges. Also, even though I finished the course in record time, I was still forced to pay $79 for it in order to get a certificate because I only wanted to take course and no other courses. It think students should be given the choice of choosing one course they are interested in and not be forced into a subscription. Even though I cancelled the subscription, it is still part of my record as something I want to take. I am very happy that I received a certificate for completing this course. I enjoyed refreshing my skills, which might have grown very rusty had I not taken the course without some guidance as presented in the course through the videos. I thank all the instructors in the course for their time and presentations, particularly Dr. Reivitch.

By Jennifer C

Apr 30, 2018

This is material that I not only have studied but teach as well. Dr. Reivich guest lectured in the MAPP program at UPenn when I was a student there, and was among my favorite lecturers. When I saw that she did a MOOC on resilience I thought I would pop over and sample the lectures. But Dr. Reivich's teaching style is so engaging and the content so wonderfully presented, I ended up watching every single lecture (and hoping that my own teaching is anywhere near as good!). This course is wonderful. I cannot recommend it highly enough. You will walk away with practical tools and essential information, taught by one of the foremost experts on research in the world!

By Rob B

Dec 9, 2020

A big thank you for the opportunity to learn resilience skills. It's not the learning of knowing but the experience of changing emotions. This is a course that changed my life for the good. Now i know more about resilience. Its is a the force that thrive us to flourish, the protection of this force in deep connections with others. It excites to see my energy levels rise and feel more positive emotions when a bring the skills in practice. I highly recommend this course and the Foundations of Positive Psychology Specialization track. Karen thank you for your openness and showing your humanity. It touched my emotions and deepens the learning.

By Mandar B

Mar 22, 2020

As a pediatrician, public speaker and health-lifestyle counselor for families and children, I wanted to learn more about the mental resilience and the strategies to build it as an immunization against stress, anxiety and depression. The well-designed course and Karen's excellent teaching made it a joy to learn these important concepts, which I am surely going to use a lot in my parenting, health and lifestyle guidance program for different communities. I also could identify a lot of areas which are relevant for improving my personal family life. Thanks UPenn and thanks Karen, it was a really good course to be a part of.

By Rhonda L

Jun 24, 2019

Thank you so much for an incredibly fascinating and educational course!! The presentations were stimulating and engaging. The material really spoke to me, and I hope to continue to study the concepts and take action to apply them. I found this course to be top-notch. The instructor really knows her stuff and can speak about it easily--making great connections and giving good real-world examples. Compared to many MOOCs (and traditional classes) the content was "meaty". It was NOT just a glossed-over introduction to common-sense material. Many thanks for the professionalism and work that you put into it. Excellent work!

By Sarah M

Dec 22, 2017

What I learned in this program is so relevant to my life in all areas. Not only did I learn a lot about my own behaviour, and by extensive have a greater understanding of the behaviour of others, but I also received many tools to support my own personal practice of resilience.

The information in this program was so relevant that I found it easy to understand, because I could see it in my own life. I appreciated the challenge of looking deeper at myself and where I could change behaviours for more resilience and connection with others.

I'm deeply grateful for Karen's teachings...thank you!

By Malva D R

Oct 29, 2020

I really enjoyed this MOOC. Because I am a psychologist and have been away from the field for awhile, it was refreshing to learn new concepts. For a long time, I have been interested in the 'positive" side of psychology and have read a number of the books referenced in this class. I elected to go into the coaching field and use my psychological background to help me assist my clients. I will definitely use the strategies I learned in this class in my professional and personal life. I also teach and I have started to share these concepts with my college students. Thank you.

By L G P

Apr 11, 2020

This is a truly outstanding course. As a Coursera course developer and teacher myself, I appreciated how carefully Dr. Reivich mixed the scientific basis of the course with interesting interviews and personal experiences, As an academic physician , and "recovering pessimist" myself, I was most impressed by her sharing her own personal experience. I am in the process of using her ideas in putting together a course on leadership and life skills for residents and fellows starting off their careers in midst of the current challenging circumstances of SARS CoV2.

By Mônica Q

May 7, 2019

A great opportunity for skills development, structured material clearly and merging the invitation to exercise and understand the concepts in personal practice, reflecting on relationships, self care, empathy and other aspects that promote emotional health. I personally felt accompanied by a structured program where I could identify and experience resilience's ability in all its aspects. I will redo the course through my personal notes, and continue the development of this skill so necessary to deal with contemporary citizens. Thank you for the opportunity.

By Sylvia R D

Jan 1, 2019

This course was fantastic! Dr. Reivich is a wonderful, fun and inspiring instructor, who presents the information in engaging, creative and moving ways that are very user-friendly. The exercises were not only very educational but easy to understand, so I could spend more energy exploring the concepts rather than trying to figure out what I was supposed to do. I learned how to not only apply resilience skills to many areas of my life, but also simple techniques to curb my stress and anxiety. Thank you so much, Dr. Reivich! I highly recommend this course.

By Duncan C F

Feb 12, 2020

This is the best course of the first four, and they are all five star courses! This is the most practical: It gives you many tools you can use right away for yourself and to share with others to increase resilience, optimism, and thereby wellbeing. It provides a solid understanding of resilience and optimism. It dispels myths about optimism demonstrating how optimism improves accurate perception of situations and options. The videos are very informative and the information accessible and well presented. Five and a half stars out of five!

By Rashi G

Aug 14, 2019

The way the course was structured, the topic were sub divided, and the each area was outlined, made the learning clear, receptive and interesting. I loved how engaging and expressive Karen was. I am sure to carry most of the topics discussed in my mind on a daily basis and help them to be a more resilient person, a better thinker, a better listener. Hunting the good stuff, real time resilience, and using core character strengths effectively are things i have already started working on. It definitely increases well being gradually!

By Lisa M P

May 16, 2020

My favorite course in the positive psychology specialization track! I learned so much-- the strategies to build and apply resilience will serve me for my entire life. I found the response styles and thinking traps quite revealing, and understand how to better communicate and combat passive, destructive, and unhelpful thinking patters. I love the emphasis on deep breathing to abate anxiety, and the exercise that helped me to build a gratitude routine that I can utilize daily, and adapt. A great course, with wonderful instructors!

By Kelly P

Jun 4, 2019

I found the information in this course most useful. I didn't realize it was course 4 of the specialization. I took this one first. You don't need to take any of the other courses first in order to understand this information. I went back to take some of the other courses and so far have found that this one is the most useful for me. As part of pessimists anonymous, I'm a recovering pessimist. This course is so helpful in in teaching me how to challenge negative thinking and move forward with positive action steps.

By Maria C H

Jan 18, 2021

This MOOC was just GREAT. The way Doctor Karen teaches, explains and gets really involved for you to learn, deserves my highest appreciation and gratitude.

She is so engaged, so enthusiastic... so sharing... it's like she is enjoying what she is doing! She does everything she can, so that the experience of learning and applying this learning to your life, gets to the best.

Also her team and colleagues are very generous by sharing their knowledge to make this experience the best.

Thank you very much!

By Laura D

May 4, 2020

This course had a fantastic combination of theory with practical skills. I was really moved by the section on thinking traps and real-time resilience techniques. I also enjoyed the reinforcement of the character strengths (which was covered in some of the earlier courses in the overall Foundations of Positive Psychology specialization). The discussion of strengths covered a slightly different angle (particularly the shadow side section), which provided additional depth on the topic.