Back to Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills by University of Pennsylvania

Learn how to incorporate resilience interventions into your personal and professional life with Dr. Karen Reivich. In this course, you are exposed to the foundational research in resilience, including protective factors such as mental agility and optimism. Several types of resilience interventions are explored including cognitive strategies; strategies to manage anxiety and increase positive emotions such as gratitude; and a critical relationship enhancement skill. Throughout the course, you will hear examples of individuals using resilience skills in their personal and professional lives. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science, Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions and Positive Psychology: Character, Grit & Research Methods....

ZM
Sep 23, 2018

Excellent! There was some common sense here, but plenty of new data and tools anyone can use in both their personal and professional life. A must for every human who wants to get the most out of life.

SB
Apr 6, 2020

Really very good course. I really recommend to complete all tasks and make a notes watching the sessions. The gained knowledge will help to build self awareness and stronger relationships with others.

51 - 75 of 519 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills

By Leyre M

Nov 30, 2020

This course's theory is very practical and useful, that's what I liked about it, that I can apply in my life what I've studied. I liked doing all the assignments because despite it was a hard work, I learnt a lot looking to myself, I mean, these assignments made me think about my own life and how to make changes to have stronger relationships, to improve my personal skills and to have more emotional intelligence and resilience in my life. Highly recommended course.

By Manju

Jun 9, 2018

These lecture and reading has opened up a new gateway in my learning . How beautifully through role plays , lecture and aricles the concept of developing resilence skills was made so clear in minds . cheers to faculty for such an amazing course .Already started using all these in my individual counselling cases plus my group threapy .it was like walking through a treasure trove and understanding which jewels you posses and which you need to polish and curate :)))))

By ruth

Feb 10, 2019

Absolutely loved the course...especially module four! Many areas of module four took me back to a course I completed through Relay. To me learning about Resilience is a passion not a job....I can’t get enough and am now on a journey to buy some of the books that were recommended throughout this Mooc! I am also going to encourage my husband to complete this course! And am also excited for our10 year old to complete the VIA! Thanks you again for a wonderful Mooc!

By Namrata

Jul 9, 2017

Very useful course indeed. I started with an attitude " let me see what's more in this course" but right from 1st week, I realsied that this course is different from all available courses on this topic. It helps in better understanding of self and managing self positively. The course concept is very well explained to drive point home. Thanks Karen for coming up with amazing course, I will keep referring to my notes from this course to get most out of it.

By Winnie S

Nov 16, 2019

This course is well staged, with not only theories but also authentic sharings. Some of the stories are stiking, making feel that my problems are not big problems / are not the only problems in the world. It is very useful for my profession, I hope that I can inspire kids and adults on their life journey, and help the new generation build better interpersonal and resilience skills, which are much lacked and much needed in nowadays society. Thank you!

By Patricia Y

Mar 28, 2019

I truly appreciate and enjoy this course. Already I've been able to stick to a personal goal of mine that I've failed miserably at (weight loss) for over 10 years by applying the skills taught. In addition, I've gained great insights into my personal resilience strengths, opportunities, and patterns. Armed with this knowledge I'm working on breaking out of unhelpful patterns. My kids have commented that they've experienced the change. Thank you!

By Kristine A

Mar 28, 2019

This opportunity was a true gift - in more ways than one! The curriculum design was thoughtfully organized and presented from an end-user's perspective. The instructor was clear, engaging and motivating; the speakers and other related videos and exercises reinforced learning and realtime application of the concepts. The curriculum content was incredibly valuable for me personally -- and I can see the immediate application and ongoing building.

By Mark D

Oct 25, 2019

Karen Reivich is an expert in the field and she did a fantastic job in covering the material within the limits of a short course. I strongly recommend this course to anyone interested in positive psychology or the topic of resilience. This course would be ideal for someone immersed in a current challenge (such as finding a new job or dealing with loss of any sort). This was my first time auditing a MOOC and it was a wonderful experience!

By yellowisthehappiest c

Apr 18, 2020

It really changed my ways of thinking and improved the way I perceive life. All practices are easily applicable and there are more than 4 which I found interesting and effortless to stick with on daily basis. Further than the psychology, I learned how to cope with difficulties and setbacks more effectively and how to value relationship which is also the most important factor that can help us go through unexpected events.

By Jovanka R

May 5, 2020

Iam very trilled and very happy with what I have learned. Some of the aspects discussed are things that you do sometimes but you don't know were or how to place them. I have learned a lot. I will be going to really deepen my knowledge in Gratitude/happiness and thinking traps, by following more courses (I have already subscribed) and I have ordered all of the books that were optional readings.

Thank you sooooooo much.

By Rodney S

May 22, 2020

This was an excellent course. It provided an excellent overview of resilience/optimism techniques that were both insightful and highly relevant in my workplace. Very opportune that I took this course before the COVID-19 pandemic. The information and extra readings gave me tools I applied directly in my workplace and in my personal life. This should be mandatory for anyone in a personnel management position

By Juan C M

Jul 15, 2020

Karen was engaging as a speaker -and her passion and authenticity with the subject and her life really drew me in, and gave me additional buy in to the value of this course and of her research and all of the amazing research being done around the scope of Resilience and Positive Psychology. I enjoyed how various mediums were brought it and the encouragement to interact with others. It was awesome!

By Mark P

Feb 12, 2020

This course was better than I had expected. The material dealing with interpersonal relationships gave me many insights about my personal communication style that I was not aware of. Naturally, improving personal relationships is an important component of increasing resilience. Dr. Reivich did a wonderful job of preparing and presenting this course. I'll add this course to my Gratitude Journal

By César A O

Oct 2, 2019

This is a very interesting and useful course. It makes you understand how our mind works and how it can be oriented to overcome adversity and also to have a more kind relationship without ourselves, the people around us and the world we live in to in the end live more joyful lives. It also teaches you strategies and gives you resources to keep you positive and to deal with stress successfully.

By Julie L

Aug 9, 2019

I really enjoyed being able to do this on line course from anywhere in the world and at my own pace - which was pretty quick as I am taking a break in Colorado and had this course as my learning goal for August :) I liked the blended approach of learning - content- case studies- reading , quizzes-worksheets-role play and to be able to go back to modules as and when I wanted. THANK YOU !

By Marcos M C

Jan 11, 2018

Excellent 100% +++, Karen has done an excellent job in sharing her knowledge through this course. And as she mentions, it is time to put into practice all these tools in daily life, personally and professionally. Being resilient is the basis of being able to become changes and be happy in life. Thanks, Karen we will stay in touch and be able to become my mentor in this Resilience skills.

By Nithya K

Jun 19, 2020

This course was amazing. I was interested in this field before this MOOC and now I feel even more energized by the teachings. It was amazing to learn about how we can take an active role in our lives through thoughtful self-reflection and by making conscious choices. This MOOC helped teach me specific and effective tools to develop our resilience and create more joy. Highly recommend!!

By Smruti M

Jan 7, 2019

I have studied resilience via other online courses and other means as well. However, this course outlines and elaborates on all different points of views related to resilience. Moreover, I found that the course not only delves into research-based arguments to prove a point, but also suggests actionable points for various set-ups like home, relationships, work-place, schools and others.

By Betsy W M

Dec 12, 2017

This was an incredible course. Karen, bravo! You are an incredible voice on resilience, a fabulous speaker and should market resilience in a bottle. Your ability to teach is incredible. Of the many folks who appeared in the modules, each added value to this topic. I have walked away with much thought and hope to continue to do so. Thank you so much. Betsy Marple

By Alan C P

Jun 30, 2017

Such a good course. I have found a great deal of benefit from completing this course. Dr Reivich is inspirational in her knowledge, intellect, wisdom and humility. Her ability to discuss evidence based research and to make the findings of this research real is exceptional. I hope one day to visit Penn and participate in the PRP. That would be exceptional.

By Briony L

Sep 3, 2017

Wonderfully presented - its so clear that Karen Reivich loves her subject and is a talented educator. I have learned so much that I can apply in my life as well as use to deepen my coaching practice.

Karen thank you for you work in putting together this MOOC. It's my first time studying anything on Coursera and this was an immensely positive experience!

By Ayesha K

Jul 7, 2019

Of all the positive psychology courses offered via Coursera, I think this one was my favorite. The information, the examples, the exercises, and the action suggestions were all interesting and really got me thinking about how I can better think, speak, and behave in a way that can improve my own life and have a more positive impact on those around me.

By Jonathan B

Oct 1, 2020

This was the third course in positive psychology I have taken. For myself, it was the most engaging, because of Karen's presentation and her ability to communicate in a personal way. I also loved The Science of Wellbeing, but as it was my first class, I was not really prepared to really commit to it in a serious way. I may very well take it again.

By Osamu A

Oct 18, 2019

I enjoyed the interviews where people shared how they overcame adversities. Most memorable was a mother who was grieving the sudden death of her son. Hers was a powerful story of how ordinary people can manage even the extreme adversities. Her story put challenges I face into context and will help me find joy in overcoming future challenges.

By Lim Y H X

May 4, 2020

Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills integrates the theory behind flourishing into the application of scientifically-proven interventions that promote resilience. This course encourages you to broaden your perspectives of skills which inculcate resilience that you can leverage on in your personal and professional life.