Back to Positive Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

This course discusses research findings in the field of positive psychology, conducted by Barbara Fredrickson and her colleagues. It also features practical applications of this science that you can put to use immediately to help you live a full and meaningful life....

JC
Jul 2, 2018

One of the best psychology courses I have taken. I have learned so much and how simple it is to implement these principles into everyday life. Thank you for providing this rich material to all of us.

BA
Sep 2, 2020

This course entitled Positive Psychology changed my perspective in life and cultivated more positivity that will not only stregthen my social relationship, my personality, mindset but also my health.

1326 - 1350 of 1,401 Reviews for Positive Psychology

Aug 27, 2020

claps

By Suganthi T

Aug 4, 2020

GOOD

By Hemanth K H S

Jun 9, 2020

GOOD

By Nayeon L

Jan 18, 2016

good

By 1808230

Apr 8, 2020

ش

By LaCisha I

Oct 20, 2015

R

By Chris F

Jul 21, 2016

The material here is good, especially for a MOOC, and it seemed like they tried to make it dynamic with the use of questions, discussion, interviews, and extension activities. I'm disappointed, however, that the course focused so heavily on Frederickson's work to the exclusion of others. While I understand that this is where she would feel the most comfortable and familiar, to start with her broaden-and-build theory and continually reference her lab's work, with the additional readings often being her books, it felt limited. I would have liked more of a discussion of the contributions of other psychologists like Seligman, Csikszentmihalyi, Peterson, Diener, Lyubomirsky, etc. Along with that, it could have addressed topics other than emotions (or been titled The Positive Psychology of Emotions), like character strengths, flow, or institution change. I love the fact that this course exists, and it's a good foundation to build on, but it still feels too narrow to claim the title Positive Psychology.

By Lothar H

Aug 28, 2015

the way this course was presented was quite unique: watching a few people from various walks of life (but most related to the University) discuss various topic and exchange opinion and experiences about positivity.

I liked the material provided for meditation about loving kindness and I have been using it on a daily (well 5 days a week) basis.

why I gave only 3 stars:

the material was overall rather shallow - after reading about positive psychology, I still very little substance it has to offer.

in addition. Barbare is not the greatest and most charismatic speaker in the world, although she did surprise me in her TED talk.

in general, human emotions are operating on a scale from positive to negative. Positive Psychology takes a one-sided approach by looking only on the plus side. That is about as incomplete as the approach of focusing only on the pathology. To fully grasp a human being, there must be a third way? is it philosophy?

By Alex Y

Jan 9, 2016

It's a good course and the contents are very helpful. There are important components like negativity bias and loving-kindness meditation. However I somehow feel it lacks a more systematic or scientific approach since lots of the materials goes on with a free and open discussion that very much depends on subjective views or feelings of selected individuals who joined the discussion. Take another example, "What is Love" session clearly depends an individual's own view. It contradicts "triangular theory of love" and the lecturer doesn't even explain why.

By Sarah B

Jun 28, 2020

My children go to to a Positive Education school and Professor Martin Seligman has visited several times so I have had deep exposure to the concepts of positive psychology and Professor Seligman's masterclasses. I was hoping that this course would provide me with more insights into how Pos. Psychology could be integrated into the workplace. I enjoyed this class but there was nothing new or particularly enlightening. I thought it would be more scholarly.

By Janice L

Sep 18, 2020

It was difficult for me to get excited about this course. Generally I connect with psychology courses and enjoy learning about the theories of our behavior and thinking. This course was different and I think it was because the professor did not generate enthusiasm in me for her subject. I am taking this online as a retiree during the pandemic but found I needed to force myself to complete it.

By Nicoletta M

Aug 29, 2016

It is a very interesting course. I was quite taken.

The teacher is good in her solos, and quite good while in the group. I dind't really like the massive use of the terms "kind of" (often used to explain concepts) and for this reason I still have to finish it.

I will quickly 'cause I 'm looking forward to learning something else.

By Randall L

Sep 4, 2015

The information is really great, but the format was tedious and dull. Ws hard to really get interested in the information in the way that it was presented. Contrast this with the Happiness course for a clue as to how to make the information more interesting and compelling as far as presentation is concerned.