Back to Predictive Modeling and Analytics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Predictive Modeling and Analytics by University of Colorado Boulder

3.6

Welcome to the second course in the Data Analytics for Business specialization! This course will introduce you to some of the most widely used predictive modeling techniques and their core principles. By taking this course, you will form a solid foundation of predictive analytics, which refers to tools and techniques for building statistical or machine learning models to make predictions based on data. You will learn how to carry out exploratory data analysis to gain insights and prepare data for predictive modeling, an essential skill valued in the business. You’ll also learn how to summarize and visualize datasets using plots so that you can present your results in a compelling and meaningful way. We will use a practical predictive modeling software, XLMiner, which is a popular Excel plug-in. This course is designed for anyone who is interested in using data to gain insights and make better business decisions. The techniques discussed are applied in all functional areas within business organizations including accounting, finance, human resource management, marketing, operations, and strategic planning. The expected prerequisites for this course include a prior working knowledge of Excel, introductory level algebra, and basic statistics....

TM
Apr 14, 2020

Good course to give a basic understanding of predictive modelling and analytics. Good assignments and opportunity to review peer submissions help reinforce the learnings.

HA
Nov 19, 2017

this course teach you about the technical of using tools for predictive modeling. very useful for you who want to learn the fundamental of analytics.

151 - 175 of 195 Reviews for Predictive Modeling and Analytics

By Joshua D

Jul 13, 2020

Compared to the first course I felt this one was hard to follow. Information came at a furious pace with little explanation. It reminded me of a business algebra class I took once that had a stand in teacher. The stand in usually taught theoretical match and ended up talking over all of the student's heads. We had to bring him back down to earth. Also the XLMiner tool is only good for two weeks. I verified this with the help desk for the tool. You need better directions and/or a better tool that can be used throughout the 4 week course. Even your translator had issues with some of the annunciations by the instructor. Due to that you need better visuals, explanations of concepts and how he comes around to some of the answers he gets. I really hope the other courses are more like the first and less like this one or I will drop this specialization and go for another. Also I will no longer consider CU Boulder for my Masters.

By Steve R

Sep 28, 2020

The professor is clearly an expert on the topic, but I don't believe this was an effective learning experience for me. Several reasons for this: (1) The professor was extremely difficult to understand, and this is exacerbated when trying to learn some more complex topics that involve equations and visualization. (2) Most of the lectures seemed to be rushed. For me, it seemed like we jumped from an introduction of the topic to expert level concepts without much transition or explanation.

Overall, I found that I didn't learn much in this course. I simply did the best I could to pass the quizzes and complete the assignments. This would have been fine for me 20 years ago, but these days I am taking courses to learn and better myself. I do not feel like this course helped me.

By Chetan S

Jul 19, 2020

Not satisfied with the course structure. As you progress in the course, the course seems to be rushed with little detailing. For example the concept of calculating Gini Index. The calculations were not explained and the students are expected to figure it out basis the formula shared in the earlier slide. Had a hard time figuring out the calculation when a problem around Gini index calculation appeared in the Assignment. The accent of the instructor is also hard to understand. Had to refer to transcripts many a times to understand what was been said.

By Yodchanon N

Jun 28, 2020

Really good content but the lecturer speaks really fast like reading script ,unnaturally and not communicative but I understand what he speaks, even if the subtitle sometimes goes wrong, however. Peer-Graded system is not productive. I found someone has copied my final assignment, at least should have reviewed my assignment back but did not, really shameless and uneducated. XL Miner on the cloud, for Mac, is free for 31 days with student license, however its interface and process is really time-consuming, perhaps lots of users.

By Aaron W

Jul 7, 2020

I found the instructor did a very poor job of explaining the concepts he was trying to get across. He read the material as fast as he could and it was obvious. Also, it requires software that has a 2 week license unless you want to pay for it (and this is a 4 week class) or can find ways around it by having multiple email addresses and other ways to trick their system. I don't recommend this course if there are any other options.

By jaiyant

Dec 24, 2019

Very Poor experience, the instructor was very bad, could not understand anything which he said , this can be seen by the number of [INAUDIBLE] present in the subtitles text. The number of application assignments and the questions were very good , with practice I understood all the concepts and I really think that was very helpful.If the instructor is changed and course content increased , this would be a very good course

By DMW

Dec 7, 2020

All around a pretty horrible course. I am not sure who is giving it 4 or 5 stars. Yes the instructor is knowledgeable but he is not a teacher. Additionally he speaks very fast with an accent which makes it difficult to follow along. I would have preferred we spent more time learning about regressions and less time learning how to use an odd Excel Addon that you have to pay for.

By Agnieszka P

Jul 1, 2020

I've been struggling horribly with this course. Quite difficult knowledge presented with too little explanation. Much more visual graphs, summaries are needed to explain these data while in the course it is mostly a speech. If pictures are presented, they are without proper description. Whats more the course focus on showing how to do the models, but not how to interpret them.

By MD. M H

Jun 13, 2020

I really think the lecturer has so much knowledge and wisdom to share with us. But it all goes in vain when students can't understand properly what the lecturer says because of his accent.

I tried very much to understand, it was very hard for me, even with the transcript.

I hope to learn more.

By Gabriel A

Very difficult to understand, even with CC. The backbone of this course is a little bit of macro handy work from 1995. I am not the most experienced in the field, but i find it hard to believe that any F500 company would use let alone pay for use of that thing.

By David X

Jul 30, 2020

I would suggest this course to update its video by using text to speech. "The Data Scientist’s Toolbox" is a good example !

too many errors in the scripts, I have posted some on the course forum. some assignments questions not mentioned in the course.

By Renée S

Apr 29, 2020

This course requires advanced pre-existing knowledge of statistics to really be of any use. New concepts, formulas and techniques are barely explained but are presented as a 'given'. The course does give you good working knowledge of the Solver tool.

By Ruslan K

Aug 31, 2020

Interesting course however, it was very difficult to understand the instructor. I've had to use the lesson subtitles and slide pack to study the material; then just used to play video lesson to be able to open the next lesson.

By Lokesh T

Jul 17, 2020

Its really hard to understand the instructor even subtitles mentions inaudible on many places. There should either proper presentations available or Coursera can redraw this course with another instructor

By markanday r

Aug 18, 2020

The instructor rushed through the videos, explanations were not very clear. The material was not very in depth and the coursework was not that helpful in understanding the concepts.

By Eduardo R O S

Apr 1, 2020

The instructor speak to fast and it's hard to understand what he said too many times. The material in the course in not well done. I believe that the course needs to be remake.

By Catalina S

Jul 19, 2021

It assumes course takers have knowledge on statistics and probabilistic. Explains too fast, and at the end is not clear the use of each technique

By Manas K

Apr 17, 2020

Much below my expectation or the level and quality the other courses bring. There are so many areas within this course that could be improved.

By tan l d

Jan 6, 2020

The accent of instructor is too strong to understand, it's an unpleasant experience to have listen through the class.

By Faizan R

Jun 15, 2020

its very difficult to understand the accent of the person otherwise content is very useful

By Svetoslava K

Feb 2, 2021

The instructor is certainly knowledgeable of the topic but has no idea how to teach

By Vedad K

Assignments are interesting but the explanations and presentations are awful.

By Connor C

Mar 26, 2020

Could not understand the instructor and the information was not useful

By Cam E

Jun 1, 2021

Very difficult to follow. Most videos are one, long, run on sentance.

By Urmika K

Aug 12, 2020

Didn't really like the instructor for this course.