Back to Functional Program Design in Scala

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Functional Program Design in Scala by École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne

In this course you will learn how to apply the functional programming style in the design of larger applications. You'll get to know important new functional programming concepts, from lazy evaluation to structuring your libraries using monads. We'll work on larger and more involved examples, from state space exploration to random testing to discrete circuit simulators. You’ll also learn some best practices on how to write good Scala code in the real world. Several parts of this course deal with the question how functional programming interacts with mutable state. We will explore the consequences of combining functions and state. We will also look at purely functional alternatives to mutable state, using infinite data structures or functional reactive programming. Learning Outcomes. By the end of this course you will be able to: - recognize and apply design principles of functional programs, - design functional libraries and their APIs, - competently combine functions and state in one program, - understand reasoning techniques for programs that combine functions and state, - write simple functional reactive applications. Recommended background: You should have at least one year programming experience. Proficiency with Java or C# is ideal, but experience with other languages such as C/C++, Python, Javascript or Ruby is also sufficient. You should have some familiarity using the command line. This course is intended to be taken after Functional Programming Principles in Scala: https://www.coursera.org/learn/progfun1....

RP
Sep 14, 2016

This is a university degree course which takes enormous effort to complete. But still its beond the programming course range giving you whats not possible to google or learn practical way. Thanks!

ES
Mar 17, 2018

Thank you for this exciting course! I did the FP in Scala course a few years ago and decided to do the full certification now. I am looking forward to the next courses in the specialisation.

51 - 75 of 496 Reviews for Functional Program Design in Scala

By Massimiliano D

Nov 4, 2018

Excellent course, in line with the expectation after the previous course of the specialization. It appears evident that the teachers of the course are high quality professionals, with passion in what they are explaining.

I would strongly recommend the course to anyone who want to increase its programming skills!

By Chaitanya B

Aug 22, 2017

Course material and assignments difficulty level was much higher than first course. Some of the learning material seemed rushed and disconnected. But overall, the concepts taught were really important and this course has strengthened my knowledge of functional programming

By Janis R

Jun 23, 2016

Very interesting assignments! But I think the assignment instructions were incomplete for the last 2 weeks. (I left comments for those 2 assignments explaining what I thought was not mentioned (and, in my humble opinion, should have been mentioned) in the instructions.)

By Mykola D

Aug 14, 2016

This is a really nice class. I've been doing Java programming for a while. However, I was really impressed with the capabilities of Scala. This class made me think of programming in a different, much more advanced way than I've been able to do before.

By Vladimir P

Sep 8, 2017

I love it.

But I should say that the last practical assignment was hard. methods to be implemented are not documented.

I understood at the end, that only one method is part of object's interface. But I had to inspect the way UI part was implemented.

By Dmytro S

Jul 1, 2019

This is actually a very good course. There are some inconsistencies but it's actually good: when I fix them I have realized that I've learned more deeply. Anyway, this is a "must" course for someone who is learning Functional Programming Design.

By Anton V

Jun 26, 2016

Sufficiently challenging to be interesting. This course(s) evolve(s) so there are some quirks in assignments/videos here and there, but it no a big deal really. Many thanks to authors and coursera team.

By Eleanna S

Mar 18, 2018

By Harish

Jul 24, 2016

Really enjoyed doing the course. Learned a ton of Stuff. Functional programming design is amazing. It's like learning Object Oriented programming (with design patterns) for the first time.

By murmelssonic

Jul 15, 2016

Picks up where the previous course left off... the last assignment is a bit more challenging than the others, well for me it was. Thanks to the people who put the course together.

By Colin U

Jun 14, 2018

This is a great course for guiding further study. Lots of the topics require outside material to really feel like you've got a minimal handle on the larger designs it's teaching.

By Evaldas M

Oct 29, 2016

Interesting concepts analyzed in through functional and scala toolset. I enjoyed the homework variety and I think more than few things can be applied in real applications

By Narek G

Jul 31, 2016

This was just a great continuation of a great beginning after the previous course.

I hope that in the future Martin Odersky will publish more courses.

Thank you !

By haokai l

Mar 6, 2017

Great experience with the assignments. Took some time to get understand all the course materials. Highly recommended. Still can learn a lot after reading fpins

By Tommy S

Dec 28, 2016

I very much enjoyed the course. It was hard enough to challenge me to learn new stuff, yet not too demanding so that I could complete within the alotted time

By Siddhartha B

Sep 17, 2020

Awesome course. All assignments except the last one are super difficult.

Maybe the assignments could be made a little simpler by providing some more hints.

By Anuj S

Jun 15, 2020

The course is really detailed with complex practical issues to be solved. I like the materials and got to know many new things on scala with this course.

By Juan P

Nov 13, 2020

Is a nice course to understand some corner stones of most powerful Scala and its environmental features like implicits and testing with properties

By William H

Jul 26, 2017

Very little spoon feeding in the assignments might place you outside your comfort zone --- but what a blast. Like the 1st course - excellent.

By Lance F

Jun 12, 2017

This is an absolutely outstanding course - far better than I would have believed possible. Highly recommended for anyone interested in Scala.

Sep 2, 2016

Advantages of Functional programming clearly evident after attending this course and is much easier to follow compared to reading Books on FP

By Andrzej

Jun 9, 2017

The course is very well prepared and easy to digest, while in the same time, assignments are challenging and allow to check acquired skills.

By Marcin Z

Dec 24, 2017

The programing assignment are challenging. However hard they are, it's important to keep on going. I can guarantee you it will be worth it.

By Bruce W

Oct 11, 2017

Great course, quite challenging. I hope to practice the skills and make progress easier in the remaining courses in the specialisation!

By Guixin Z

Jan 11, 2017

nice content and challenging assignment. help me understand and start using some popular tools and libraries in Scala eco-system.