Back to Programming Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming Fundamentals by Duke University

Programming is an increasingly important skill, whether you aspire to a career in software development, or in other fields. This course is the first in the specialization Introduction to Programming in C, but its lessons extend to any language you might want to learn. This is because programming is fundamentally about figuring out how to solve a class of problems and writing the algorithm, a clear set of steps to solve any problem in its class. This course will introduce you to a powerful problem-solving process—the Seven Steps—which you can use to solve any programming problem. In this course, you will learn how to develop an algorithm, then progress to reading code and understanding how programming concepts relate to algorithms....

EE
Aug 13, 2020

The instruction provided in this course are very clear and anyone who can learn coding by this course. But the course has more readable content for you to take notes and reading it may take more time.

MK
Jan 27, 2021

It's a very good as a beginning with programing language. It helped me to think like a compiler and how it exactly works. I've finally understood the saying "Everything in computer works in logic".♥

26 - 50 of 1,563 Reviews for Programming Fundamentals

By fengkeyleaf

Jun 27, 2019

Great Courses! I've learned a more general way to write an algorithm, rather than starting coding right away! This is very helpful in the future study~

By SUJOY N

Apr 1, 2019

Teaching Team is really good. I have got a great experience to complete to complete this course.

Thanks to Coursera.

By Amrita A

Sep 26, 2019

As a beginner this course was very helpful to understand the basic concepts of C programming language .

By Yi-Shiun, C

Jan 23, 2019

the design of assignment is not as clear or as good as what in Udacity.

By Harith U

Jun 25, 2019

The course was extremely easy to follow (It helped that I had some programming background, using loops and conditional statements, but the course taught me a lot of new stuff). I learnt how variables are stored in memory for different datatypes, how to use struct and typedef, etc. I would recommend this course for anyone looking to start learning the fundamentals of programming.

By Suraj S S

Jul 13, 2020

This course has been wonderful for me. This course did boost my confidence in learning programming and introduced me to a new era of language learning. The tutors were great and I thank them too.

By Ca

Aug 5, 2021

Professors taught very detailed, especially how to program step by step, I'm not novice for coding but learned a lot from it, it's not being taught in my previous education.

By Rashad J

Aug 25, 2021

In my opinion here videos, teaching, studing , teaching structure over internet very comfortable and help to develop students for reaching best result in time!

By Ming T

Jul 25, 2019

Very beginner level, however it was good review and brought important concepts that I never picked up when first learning programming in college.

By Sahil T

Dec 11, 2018

Very useful if you are new to programming in general and want to learn C in particular.

By waleed

Apr 2, 2019

Loved the way they visualize the code, very helpful and easy to understand.

By Jimmy K A

Nov 11, 2018

Really Excellent course. Fully understandable and very useful.

By Shashank S

Sep 3, 2019

The course was amazing and I learned a lot through it.

By Diego d S B

May 15, 2021

Very good course to create logical thinking

By anjunshao

Sep 17, 2019

Very good course for beginners to learn.

By Jones L

Jul 17, 2021

V​ery good introductory course

By Sandipan K

Mar 25, 2019

Really helpful for beginners

By vivek j

Apr 7, 2019

A decent and a basic course

By Carla C O P

Jan 27, 2019

It made me happy! :)

By Raunak R

Mar 26, 2019

Awesome Course

By NIKHIL S

Jul 2, 2020

Well, as per the description of this course, it is fundamental to programming and any novice could attend it but I tend to differ from this opinion. It's my recommendation that any novice must gather information regarding things discussed in this course as it will be helpful during practice quizzes of this course.

Above all, it is really serving its purpose of strengthening your programming fundamentals but for that, you must already have some fundamentals to get strengthen.

Also if you opt for this course make yourself sure to also opt for all other courses of this specialization. After completion of this specialization, you will have a lot of new skills for sure including Linux and UNIX.

As this specialization is not a cakewalk so you must have to remain motivated throughout.

Also, lots of stuff to read makes it irritating.

FUN LEARNING

THANK YOU!

By Michiel V

Jun 23, 2019

For beginner programmers, this course is certainly advisable. However, the price (50+ euro per week(!)) is disproportionate to the amount of video time the teachers make available. If I wanted to READ about C, I would buy a book on C. The strength of coursera are the tips and tricks and the connection between listening and reading. Compare this course for example with the (cheaper) machine learning course of Andrew Ng which would be worth this price, but this course definetely not ... Hope the follow-up courses will be better.

By Matthew A

Sep 17, 2021

I've already new programming fundamentals, in college there was a course I took in C, taught me the fundamentals, but it wasn't taught to me properly and for a year I skipped over brushing up on my fundamentals because I deemed it to be not needed at this stage. I found during that time that learning a new programming language was much complicated for me even though I have been coding for a while. Sort of became discouraged to program for a bit, after my break I took up web development and machine learning and managed to finish courses and gain certifications on them, during that time I did brush up on my basics, but not to the extent I felt comfortable. September I found this course, using a free trial offered by Coursera plus, I decided I would enroll and see if I can finally master my fundamentals. Duke University and the professors who taught this course was amazing! Not only was I able to go back to my roots and finally get a hang of the basics, but new skills were added to my lists as well. A skill that I walked away with a huge smile on my face was, learning Computational thinking, the professors didn't just teach basic knowledge of programming, they broke down the concepts and explained them piece by piece. Duke university did well with how the course was executed, reading first then videos to reinforce and confirm what was learned, I found it very helpful and was easy to follow along with the videos and complete the quizzes. That being said, I read some of the comments prior to enrolling, the few comments that rated poorly, forget what the others say, a lot of the time when people try something new and it doesn't fit their learning style they get frustrated and deem it bad, yes it was a lot of reading but the reading gave purpose to the videos which went hand in hand. Quizzes weren't bad, just needed to review material and go over the videos and readings if you didn't understand, also to search things you might not understand as well, there are some people out there who could explain it better than how a professor explained it and then you could come back to the video with understanding to follow through with the teachings. This course has taught me that to become a great programmer you always have to plan ahead before doing, apply logic and then get to rolling out the show. Also to go above the scope and do research in the problem your tackling. This raps up my review, this was a great course, Duke University and the Professors did well!

By Nathan S

This course is so fundamental that you don't actually need to write a single line of code to pass. You do everything on paper. But I still found it valuable despite several years in a variety of technical code writing code. Most of the course videos consist of professors walking you through step-by-step evaluation of programs while they talk about the execution and the readings are similar to the first few chapters of any good introductory programming language text. I find it a very useful place to begin, because I'm moving on confident that I have a good grasp of the nuances of C evaluation. It's very easy to spend a lot of time around code and see enough C that you think you could get your ideas to compile this afternoon. I know for a fact that I would be right in my case. But I still wouldn't know the details of the right way to use structs and would likely make the mistake of assuming the C compiler was treating variables like so many other high-level languages (HINT: it's not quite). Looking forward to continuing this series and glad that I chose this path to deepen my understanding of this timeless tool.

By 31_ARKAJYOTI M