Back to Psychological First Aid

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Psychological First Aid by Johns Hopkins University

Learn to provide psychological first aid to people in an emergency by employing the RAPID model: Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition. Utilizing the RAPID model (Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition), this specialized course provides perspectives on injuries and trauma that are beyond those physical in nature. The RAPID model is readily applicable to public health settings, the workplace, the military, faith-based organizations, mass disaster venues, and even the demands of more commonplace critical events, e.g., dealing with the psychological aftermath of accidents, robberies, suicide, homicide, or community violence. In addition, the RAPID model has been found effective in promoting personal and community resilience. Participants will increase their abilities to: - Discuss key concepts related to PFA - Listen reflectively - Differentiate benign, non-incapacitating psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions from more severe, potentially incapacitating, crisis reactions - Prioritize (triage) psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions - Mitigate acute distress and dysfunction, as appropriate - Recognize when to facilitate access to further mental health support - Practice self-care Developed in collaboration with Johns Hopkins Open Education Lab....

KG
Apr 15, 2020

A wonderful course with clear explanations and case scenarios to help reinforce learning. I was truly engaged throughout the course and felt like I learned a lot more than I anticipated when going in.

ED
May 22, 2020

I am very happy and satisfied with the course program. In fact, I am excited to apply what I have learned and also looking forward to enroll in another course. Thank you for this learning opportunity!

101 - 125 of 3,229 Reviews for Psychological First Aid

By Stephanie T

Jan 4, 2020

I befriend several people in the community with mental health challenges who come to me frequently for support - them not always wishing to engage with professional services. My listening skills are important and I have qualified as a pastoral carer. What I have learnt on this course has helped my development in a challenging aspect of care and given me added confidence in my abilities to provide necessary support and/or appropriate referral. I am aiming to work as a pastoral carer in a women's prison where self harm and suicidal ideation are significant behaviours.

By Brenda C

Nov 3, 2020

Dr. Everly is an exceptional educator with 40 years of experience to share. I appreciate his knowledge of the fundamentals of Psychology First Aid. He explained the role and responsibilities of someone that may be in the midst of a disaster, what they should be aware of, look for and just as important, what NOT to do. This course included the psychological first aid model, RAPID. Dr. Everly explains the importance of each step in a way that is comfortable to learn. I work with at-risk teens and I feel more secure in having this course in my toolbox. Thank you!

By Miriam S

Aug 23, 2020

This course was very engaging, informative, interesting and I have definitely gained more insight into this topic and feel much more confident in helping others efficiently and empathically. I thought I was a good listener, but this course helped me to see where I need to improve my skills. I am very grateful to be able to go through this course, it helped me to realize that in order to help effectively others, I also need to implement regular self-care and avoid other potential pitfalls to stay resilient. One of the best courses ever!!!! Thank you so much♥️

By Subha S R

Aug 17, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed the course.

The course was systematic and ended with clarity.

As i had witnessed a natural disaster (Floods) in my hometown I could relate the lesson very much to the disaster. Though I thought I helped victims physically now I know the psychological gaps which I couldn't address then. This course helped me to analyse what I could have done during that crisis.

Discussion forum was good in reading fellow coursers view on the case study.

Thanks to Professeor Everly and John Hopkins University.

Congratulations to all the fellow coursers.

By Nan X

Oct 18, 2016

Dr. Everly presented this course in a concise way to explain RAPID model, and as a beginning counselor, I found this course is particularly helpful to refresh some of the basic helping skills. I love the simulation part since it provides me with the direct experience of what kind of statement can be harmful. This course also offers slides as well. While I am writing notes for the course, PPT actually saves my time to jot down the concepts and definitions. After all, I do like Dr. George Everly's slow approach and kind attitude. Thank you very much!

By Charmell A L

Nov 3, 2020

More are not aware about the existence of Psychological First Aid. How it is important and what differs this from other Psychological treatment. This course enables me to be aware of the simplest action that may serve to aid those distress. The course is very simple and yet a very helpful tool for every one. I highly recommend this for those who what to personal growth. This will not only contribute additional knowledge to you but also a very useful tool to let you help others. Allow this course to be part of your life because this is fulfilling.

By AISHWARYA A

Oct 26, 2018

Very interesting and educative course that will help people in all walks of their life. I am a student and I am not sure when i will require the skills I have learnt in this course, but I am positive this course has a progressive impact on my life and if I ever face a situation of trauma or crisis, I will handle myself and those around me better and be the best help I can. My understanding of the importance of listening actively is a huge booster to my social skills. Thank you Prof. George, for making the lectures very interesting and enjoyable.

By Ершова Я С

Jan 8, 2020

It's my first accomplished course at the Coursera and I am happy about it. It'd been very comfortable to learning during these weeks because of short and informative lectures with presentations (what a great conspectus!) - I was able to revise information any time I want. Great representative vignettes and short quizzes helped to apply and not to forget new knowledge.

I came with a vague image of PFA and minimum skills and now I'm finishing the course with a complete understanding of the subject and with quite inspiration. Thanks for that!

By Rukhsar K

Jun 28, 2018

Excellent resource for first responders/ community workers and even faith based counselors. This is something that can even be useful to protect your family or friends in their distress and psychological adversity. I had a friend who was in depression and was thinking to commit suicide but speaking with her and comforting her, showing compassion and being there for her, helped her and slowly slowly she started improving. This course has helped me a lot to speak with my clients at work who calls after natural disasters or auto accidents. :)

By Prabir K S

Apr 28, 2020

I have completed the course (Psychological First Aid) .I must admit that I did not expect much from this course before I started.However,now my ideas are completely changed.I feel that it is a very important and unique course ,a must for young students and volunteers who want to be useful to the society.The very simple and easy method followed to impart the knowledge is unique. I express my deep appreciation to Mr George and his team. I wish many such short and sweet courses to come in future.My age is only 78 years. Regards to all.

By Monica R C

Oct 23, 2020

This was an excellent course! One of the most useful courses that I've taken in a while. The content is very relevant and it will be especially useful in dealing with the challenges of the pandemic crisis, as well as many other disaster situations that we may face. The Psychological First Aid course offers a solid knowledge base for administrative professionals, like me, working in the graduate medical education field. The concepts are presented in a careful and thoughtful way. Thank you for offering this important course.

By Mary L D B

Jul 27, 2020

This course teaches the students the step by step ways on dealing with people who went through traumatic situation. It has simulations, and together with that, it shows how to and how to not approach a survivor. It also tackles the history of Psychological FIrst aid and the different action that should be done to different situations that are taking place to every session with the survivors. I learned a lot from the course, like the importance of Psychological First Aid and the procedures from the start to the end of the procedure.

By Katherine A K

Jun 19, 2020

The lectures were informative; they have no doubt helped personally and will surely help as first responders. Similarly, the simulation highlighted certain points where probably one might go wrong, do or say something that might hurt the survivor. Further, self-care, another important aspect; it is a good thing that it was included because many times people who help others eventually forget about helping themselves. Overall, it was an informative lesson. Thank you to Dr Everly and Johns Hopkins University for designing this course.

By Dimitri R

Sep 24, 2017

Great course! I wish I could know all this back in 2006 when my city (Haifa, Israel) was shelled. I highly recommend it not only for disaster relief but also for family help. Any person could be in distress because of sickness, job problems, etc. This course gives usable tools for these cases.

As a follow-up, I'd suggest an addendum: PFA for children. Children suffer much more than adults in disasters and their suffering additionally complicates their parents' state. Similar course could greatly helps.

Thank you very much, George!

By Mariah C O

Jun 26, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. It provided relevant information and was taught in a very engaging matter. The vignettes were very helpful in understanding the application of the concepts taught. The instructor was very clear and gifted in explaining the lessons. The assessments were the right amount of challenging. Thank you for making this MOOC accessible to the public, may more people be aware of how to provide PFA for those who need it in times of crisis and apply it even to daily troubles faced by those around them.

By Marie C G L

May 23, 2020

This course taught me a lot about responding to the needs of others and remembering the importance of self-care. More than the proper way of responding and helping in a crisis, Dr. Everly's way of discussing and explaining things in a well-thought and understandable flow helped me appreciate the course despite the seriousness of the topic. Most of all, it warmed my heart when he said, "I thank you for taking time out of your busy life to learn a little bit more about making a positive difference in someone else's life."

By Rachel D

May 14, 2020

Very helpful - if you wish to embark on a career path where stress is ever present (anything that requires you being deployed to places where high individual stress is expected, like a war zone or disaster site, or even 911 operator), or you want to enlarge your personal knowledge of psychiatry, then this course is extremely helpful. I personally took it because everyone is having a crisis right now with Covid-19, and it demonstrated good basic responses and teachings as to how to approach people coming to you for help.

By Sanju A

Jul 19, 2020

The best course I have come across related to to psychological first aid. Carefully and strategically designed. Although it is designed for public health and emergency professionals but it will benefit in the area of counselling. Professor George wonderfully designed it and delivered it. The best part of the course is simulation. Not only they teach but also demonstrate making you to understand the concept in a practical manner to the core. So thank you so much professor George for coming up with this wonderful course.

By Jose F d G F

The use of the simulation videos was something I found incredibly helpful. It was also important that the simulation videos presented how well-meaning individuals can botch things up and it was good to see how these mistakes can occur and the resultant impact on the individual in a crisis. I also felt that the use of actual cases from the fire was very helpful, both in gaining a sense of perspective of how this is in real life, but also in being able to see how first responders and survivors were impacted by the event.

By Colleen B

Jun 18, 2020

I really enjoyed learning this course and found it to be rewarding. The content is very well explained by Dr. George Everly who is a pioneer in the field. He gave some very valuable information and was very thorough in explaining the RAPID model. I feel more confident in my skills to help people in times of adversity and will happily offer my help to disaster relief services in the future. I may see what else Dr. Everly teaches because I think he is an outstanding professor and has such a great demeanor. Thank you.

By Maria M R

Jun 3, 2020

As a 22 year-old portuguese aspiring journalist and writer, I feel that the knowledge I gained will be essential to my daily life. As a journalist and also as my grandma's main caregiver (she suffers from Alzheimer's disease), I am sure that exploring the intricacies of the human mind and interpersonal interactions, especially with regard to moments of fragility, is imperative. In this way, I hereby come to thank Dr. George Everly for the content he has produced as well for the professionalism and experience shown.

By VLADIMER J N

Aug 12, 2020

The course is brief yet very substantial. I am profoundly satisfied with how the videos and vignettes provide concrete examples of the topics being discussed (including the correct and flawed presentations). I am also very delighted with how the whole PFA is acted out. It is very engaging and relatable. Thank you for offering this course. I wish you offer more courses related to this (perhaps building resilience in times of crisis) so more people in the community can provide effective crisis intervention response.

By Daniel J R F

Nov 4, 2017

This was an excellent course. As a victim of acute psychological terror myself, I find this course very comforting. It's nice to know there are trained professionals out there who know how to handle intensely stressful situations for others. Without the help of other experienced individuals during my time of need, I never would have recovered to the capacity I have, or not nearly as fast without their help. Now, I can use my experience and training to help others as well. These informative courses can save lives.

By Bruce R L P L

Oct 27, 2020

This course was very helpful and fun to study. The instructor really emphasized the important parts of the lesson and made timely repetitions in order for us to learn better. There were also examples of the things not to say and do which is very helpful to understand the lesson. Personally this is a great course to take even if you're not in the field of being a first responder because it at least teaches you how to help a friend in need even if he or she did not witness a disaster. I really love this course.

By Kirill P

Mar 29, 2017

Well-thought, qualitatively designed and, in the mean time, brief course. Very simple structure (definitely a good thing!) and simulation videos make Psychological First Aid very interesting subject to learn. All actions are analyzed and explained in detail. Would recommend it not only to psychologists, physicians or other doctors, but also to those who are interested in psychology itself and have no academic background in this area. You may discover some new stuff that will be both curious and useful for you