Back to Psychological First Aid

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Psychological First Aid by Johns Hopkins University

Learn to provide psychological first aid to people in an emergency by employing the RAPID model: Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition. Utilizing the RAPID model (Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition), this specialized course provides perspectives on injuries and trauma that are beyond those physical in nature. The RAPID model is readily applicable to public health settings, the workplace, the military, faith-based organizations, mass disaster venues, and even the demands of more commonplace critical events, e.g., dealing with the psychological aftermath of accidents, robberies, suicide, homicide, or community violence. In addition, the RAPID model has been found effective in promoting personal and community resilience. Participants will increase their abilities to: - Discuss key concepts related to PFA - Listen reflectively - Differentiate benign, non-incapacitating psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions from more severe, potentially incapacitating, crisis reactions - Prioritize (triage) psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions - Mitigate acute distress and dysfunction, as appropriate - Recognize when to facilitate access to further mental health support - Practice self-care Developed in collaboration with Johns Hopkins Open Education Lab....

GT
Dec 19, 2019

Great structure and interactive format. Clear expectations and excellent materials. Subject was explained in an effective manner that was easily understood and applied. Very useful for any profession!

IT
Oct 12, 2020

this opened my mind towards intervention needs in a catastrophic event. something like this is required more than ever now. the content of the course was very good and thorough. very nicely explained.

176 - 200 of 3,821 Reviews for Psychological First Aid

By Tatsuaki S

Oct 27, 2020

I enrolled the course 8 days ago.

Since then, I access Coursera almost every day and I have completed it just now.

I happened to find this course during skimming the list of Johns Hopkins University and just enrolled it from my curiosity.

I believe I have found a good choice for myself.

Professor George Everly explains very clearly. He also shows us Not-to-Do scenario during the course, which is very helpful considering execution of PFA on site in the future.

By Alexis B

Sep 22, 2020

This was a really great course. I took a similar course like this through another on line site and it didn't go into any of the details etc. I loved the Professor and his knowledge. Especially that he had field experience. I'm not sure what I will do with it but the interest is definitely there to help others. I'm not sure that I would be a good fit for crisis around the world but I'd like to explore it somewhat to see what use I could do in helping others.

By Vidisha M

Apr 12, 2020

I would like to thank you heartily for providing such a valuable course online. It is not easy to deal with such disasters or people affected by it and I have seen many people with good intentions who want to help but just don't know how or what might they have been doing wrong. This course truly helps to identify such points and make the whole point of the conversation helpful. Thank you for teaching this skill to the public. All the best and keep it up!

By Amber G

Aug 6, 2020

I'm very grateful to have taken this course. I have learnt so much and it's reassuring to know that I can apply this in my daily life and use this to help a community in the wake of disasters and even in general. Even though I had a busy schedule, taking this course was not overwhelming and it was easy to digest (plus fun!). I really recommend this course. Even dedicating around 1-2 hours per week will do fine, for those who also have a packed schedule.

By Christian S T

May 14, 2020

Thank you Coursera, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Dr. George Everly Jr. for this course. Previously I thought that the conventional triage was enough to save lives. But here, when I learned Psychological First Aid, I realize that there's to saving than just healing physical injuries.

I hope many students will enroll with this course and hopefully many of them can apply them when distaster comes along the way. Thank you very much!

By Adriana S

Jul 14, 2020

The content of the course is very well organized and the material presented is a great resource. But what I think made this course more enjoyable and engaging, was the perfect pace when speaking and the communication skills of the professor using a clear and well spoken language and perfect use of punctuation and pauses during the lectures. As a non native English speaker this was really appreciated, and his years of experience teaching are evident.

By Nelson X D L

Jan 13, 2016

Exceptional course! Lectures were engaging, informative, and insightful. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who might be thinking about providing assistance in a crisis situation. Furthermore, there are skills taught in this course that prove not only useful in crisis situations but in everyday life as well. Needless to say I am excited to practice what I have learned from this course into any and all situations I may be involved in!

By ABU M Z

Apr 8, 2020

Thank you for offering the course, such a nice way "Rapid" to asses a person in need of PFA and help to relief his trauma. The course was very interesting that i though I just pass it in short time, but I realize I learn few effective methods while taking pre and post course survey. I recommend people devoted in public health sector, medicine, rescue volunteer and officers and people work with Humanitarian field to take this course. Thank you.

By Zunaira A

Apr 4, 2020

You know, when I first looked through this course information, being not related to the field but being interested, I felt as if I would not be able to understand what is being taught. But the best thing is I think I have never taken a better course than this one. It helped me learn a lot. I am almost sad that the course has ended. It would also be safe to say that I have never had a better instructor teach me.

Thank you so much for this course!

By Arevik

Jun 17, 2020

I took this course, because I think its very important, to knowing how to help people in critical situations. Thank you for this amazing course! It was so informative, I have learned a lot! I think, this is one of the most useful courses at this site. Thank you for this possibility. I liked videos the most in this course .The way it was showing how to speak in correct way, how to respond and what to say to people, who need help.Thanks a a lot!

By mohammad a

Nov 23, 2020

Here I am stuck at home amid this pandemic. Although not a disaster like wildfire/hurricane, people are dying everyday in every corner. I can only imagine how the family and close relatives or friends are feeling about the deceased. This course gave me insight that things go wrong all the time and we have the strength in ourselves to rise above a crisis. Easier said than done of course, but the journey will always teach us something valuable.

By Elaine M

Jun 20, 2020

I love this course! I am an active duty Navy Nurse frequently deployed in combat zones and humanitarian missions. I can use the skills I learned not only to help the patients in need but to help teach other military personnel and my civilian counterparts how to foster effective communication and care for others as well as themselves using Psychological First Aid!

I will definitely use Coursera again and highly recommend Coursera to my peers!

By Olive J N

Feb 13, 2019

I am a home help aide, I love helping people. I was looking for a course in Life Coaching, and found this course. I know it will go well with my job in, helping the families of the victims i care for. I was surprise that PFA was a course. It's a great course and we all need to learn how to help one another in times of lost. I know now I am ready to help other I feel confident, because of what i learn in this course. Thanks you all very much.

By Izzy W

Apr 1, 2021

I really enjoyed this course. I felt it was laid out in a good format which let you read, in case you aren't a visual learner but also watch in you are. I found the slideshows in the presentation good for note-taking too. It was a good length course for what it was, and you also have free access to the quizzes which I did enjoy doing, to help me feel like I was learning something. Overall good short course, only took me a week to complete.

By simonne W

Apr 20, 2020

I enjoyed the whole layout of this course. It was easy to follow and video review was extremely helpful to comprehend. I did notice that some of the quiz questions were unclear/ambiguous and I had to guess at a couple. Other than than, as mentioned, enjoyable and easy to follow.

I did pay money to have the certificate upon completion. How and when can I expect to see this? Will it be electronic or in the mail?

Kind Regards,

Simonne White

By Victoria B

Feb 11, 2018

This course was very interesting and gave me some theoretical knowledge and transferable skills. It was not too time-consuming (a couple hours a week), can be paused, and done on weekdays or weekends. Through the simulations, I was able to get a grasp of what it would be like to provide psychological first aid. A very useful and interesting course for those working in or interested in mental health, general health, or crisis intervention.

By Lucija V

Dec 13, 2016

It does what is promises to do very well, it's a great introduction to PFA, but I think also useful in other life situations and I would suggest this course to anyone who would like to show more compassion towards people in everyday life and is not sure how to do so. Most importantly, however, it does introduce the state people may be in after a disaster well, and arms you with some knowledge of how to be of assistance in such situations.

By Mohamed A G

Oct 18, 2020

Being from Somalia and growing up in the united states since 1990. I have come to visit unexpectedly and seen so much violence and problems from terrorism and thought wow we need our teacher there helping in creating capable staff in psychological first aid which is the most important factor in winning the fight against such groups. I plan on suggesting this to staff whom work for the government, God willingly. Great learning experience

By Janice J

Apr 18, 2020

As a School Counsellor I have found the course to be very helpful. Working with a population of just over 1000 students, having to teach, facilitate university applications, while also looking after the emotional, social and psychological needs of my student population I can see where the tenets of PFA can prove very beneficial. The module on Self Care was also very insightful. Thank you for making this course available at this time.

By Swan L

Jun 18, 2020

Enjoyed this course. Some instructors in this platform teach like they are reading from a script. Not Dr. Everly. Explanations of material is very clear, and it felt like I was attending this class in person. I started applying that first "R" in my day-to-day interactions with clients and students ... and it's true. Most of us want to or need to be given the space to be heard. Am going to take special note of "Top Ten Ways to Burnout".

By Lyndsey C

This course provides a fairly solid understanding of the RAPID model of Psychological First Aid. The content includes written, visual, and auditory learning materials to target multiple learning styles. Simulations and actual interviews from trauma and disaster survivors offer clear examples of what one might encounter in situations where PFA is needed. The course has left me feeling much more prepared to be of service in my community.

By Chris J C

May 11, 2018

I have ben involved in law enforcement and military in excess of 30 years. This course is new ground for most within these communities. As I am now a manager and "leader" of first responders, I have implemented programs to support staff in developing their own understanding of psychological first aid. This course will be one of the requirements It is a great introduction for those new members who may not have faced life challenges

By Dr m n l

May 21, 2021

Hello George sir,

Completed and achieve psychological first aid course module and certified.its my endeavour that attain this coursers certificate.this course and certificate is useful and extremely beneficial for us and implementation in pshychiatric pt. Comes at health center.once again to coursers and Dr george sir who project a good course module and thanks to J.Hopkins university that give the opportunity to join the course.

By Vathmi S

Dec 29, 2020

It's such a great program ! Hoping to join more online courses affiliated with John Hopkins University.A big thank should be given to the Professor George who's such a humble person to explain everything in detail manner and all the stimulations & quizzes are at it's best! Once again thank you for offering this opportunity for people who are in great curiosity about Psychology & it's process ........Much love from Sri Lanka !!!!!!

By Kurdyumova O V

Jul 24, 2020

Thank you for this course! As a person who studies psychological techniques on his own and is interested in this topic for personal development - for me it was fascinating to learn new knowledge, complementing the old ones. The presentation of the material is very well constructed, it is convenient to read and learn. The pleasant voice of the lecturer, communication with other students at the forum - everything was very successful.