Back to Psychological First Aid

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Psychological First Aid by Johns Hopkins University

Learn to provide psychological first aid to people in an emergency by employing the RAPID model: Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition. Utilizing the RAPID model (Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition), this specialized course provides perspectives on injuries and trauma that are beyond those physical in nature. The RAPID model is readily applicable to public health settings, the workplace, the military, faith-based organizations, mass disaster venues, and even the demands of more commonplace critical events, e.g., dealing with the psychological aftermath of accidents, robberies, suicide, homicide, or community violence. In addition, the RAPID model has been found effective in promoting personal and community resilience. Participants will increase their abilities to: - Discuss key concepts related to PFA - Listen reflectively - Differentiate benign, non-incapacitating psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions from more severe, potentially incapacitating, crisis reactions - Prioritize (triage) psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions - Mitigate acute distress and dysfunction, as appropriate - Recognize when to facilitate access to further mental health support - Practice self-care Developed in collaboration with Johns Hopkins Open Education Lab....

PG

Feb 10, 2017

A very helpful course and full of practical information for persons interfered with disaster relief and crisis intervention as this course has a well- planned syllabus and really informative vignettes

NL

Apr 05, 2020

The course is made in a very easy to learn and practical way. The RAPID model is easy to remember and can be very helpful in demanding events, such as the actual global situation and its consequences.

651 - 675 of 2,892 Reviews for Psychological First Aid

By Tehseen A

Nov 29, 2016

Great course. It provided me with in depth knowledge and skills to really grasp the concepts of empathy, compassion and what it means to have a true desire to help people in crisis situations.

By Dr. P C

Apr 10, 2020

The PFA course modules are clearly outlined with excellent explanations, and I particularly loved the case vignettes, with the 'wrong' and 'right' ways of conducting psychological interviews.

By Amina S

Aug 18, 2019

This was an amazing course. I am a student of Psychology and this course helped me distinguish and draw a line between PFA and psychology. I have learned a lot through this course! Thank you!

By Arnold S

Aug 28, 2017

I liked this course very much!. highly recommended for those health workers, emergency responders, as well as the community who are interested in helping people and community during disaster.

By Almyn C A

Aug 17, 2020

While I am not the primary audience for this course, I still learned a lot. The simulations helped me apply the concepts that I'm learning. The teacher also feels very reliable and credible.

By Vernna l S

Jul 27, 2020

I never thought that I can finished this course..I was so hesitant to enrol to any Coursera course because it doesn't interest me until I found this topic..it captures my heart....thank you!

By Luchi

Sep 23, 2016

George made the PFA lecture very interesting. I feel like i am sitting in the class room, It help me to understand more about psychological first aid needs and how to be a good listener.

By Michelle B

The course was easy to follow and provided pertinent information. The simulation was an excellent way to gain a better understanding of how to handle interactions during a crisis situation.

By Patricia S

Feb 06, 2018

Muchísimas gracias me está pareciendo sumamente practico e interesante .

El término triage de clasificación y selección es vital en un proceso de crisis . Muchas gracias

Saludos desde mexico

By Jackson M

Aug 03, 2020

Not too long, very engaging, explained in terms that people who do not already know psychological jargon can understand. Thank you for helping us learn how to help others help themselves.

By MC

Aug 02, 2020

In this course, I have learned to provide psychological assistance and support to those in distress, especially during the period of an unpredictable pandemic like the one we are into now.

By Sarah N

Feb 19, 2019

this course was really helpful, I've learned a lot of new techniques, and a lot of added information, enjoyed every lecture and always found great information to use i my career. thank you

By Maria d C M B

Sep 18, 2018

This course was great explain the key words to understand and make something in a difficult situation, explaining clearly the steps to do it. Take it and enjoy learning, very recommended.

By Elena L

Sep 24, 2020

Me encantó el curso fue muy interesante y muy clara la explicación las simulaciones complementaron lo enseñado agradezco bastante por tener la oportunidad de aprender más cada día gracias

By ALIYA N B A

Apr 23, 2020

Just like 'physical' first aid, psychological first aid is also good to learn. I am grateful I took the course I learned what I expected to learn. Thank you very much. I highly recommend.

By Brenda M

Apr 21, 2020

Thank you very much! This has been a very informative and interesting class. I feel much more capable of handling a situation or circumstance in which a person would require such support.

By Rovena S

Apr 16, 2020

what an awesome course. I loved how kind George is, not just knowledgeable, but also so kind. I think it makes all the difference. I've learned a lot and very glad I've taken this course.

By María G P

Apr 14, 2020

This course has provided me with a good structure that I will use in my role in public health. The amount and relevance of information is excellent as well as the duration of the modules.

By Ilham M F

Jun 01, 2020

It is one of the best courses i have attended so far. I have really learned a lot and looking forward to put the knowledge i have learnt into practical perspective. Thank you so much.

By Nicholas H J S

May 15, 2020

I learned a lot, in terms of concepts, theory and most importantly techniques! The simulations were very helpful in enhancing my learning throughout the course! Dr Everly is amazing too!

By Caryl A B

This is my first online course and I am ecstatic that is was. The instruction was able to explain all concepts in a concise manner, so that there will be no need for further explanation.

By Lynn C

Apr 27, 2020

It was straightforward and teachings were clearly communicated. It is a good introductory course to take for those looking to support others by building rapport and reflective listening.

By Mario P S

Apr 18, 2020

a great learning experience that npt only helps to understand how to be there for people who have gone through any kinda trauma in life and i was glad i had this opportunity to learn it.

By Heather M

Apr 20, 2018

For the length of the course there is a lot of information that doesn't feel rushed. I really enjoyed the pace and found the material presented in a way that did not bore or confuse you.