Back to Python for Data Science, AI & Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science, AI & Development by IBM

Kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general, with this beginner-friendly introduction to Python. Python is one of the world’s most popular programming languages, and there has never been greater demand for professionals with the ability to apply Python fundamentals to drive business solutions across industries. This course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours—no prior programming experience necessary! You will learn Python fundamentals, including data structures and data analysis, complete hands-on exercises throughout the course modules, and create a final project to demonstrate your new skills. By the end of this course, you’ll feel comfortable creating basic programs, working with data, and solving real-world problems in Python. You’ll gain a strong foundation for more advanced learning in the field, and develop skills to help advance your career. This course can be applied to multiple Specialization or Professional Certificate programs. Completing this course will count towards your learning in any of the following programs: IBM Applied AI Professional Certificate Applied Data Science Specialization IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Upon completion of any of the above programs, in addition to earning a Specialization completion certificate from Coursera, you’ll also receive a digital badge from IBM recognizing your expertise in the field....

MA
May 16, 2020

The syllabus of the course takes you in a roller-coaster ride.\n\nFrom basic level to advance level and you won't feel any trouble nor hesitate a bit.\n\nIt's easy, it's vast, and it's really usefull.

HM
Nov 17, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

3201 - 3225 of 3,415 Reviews for Python for Data Science, AI & Development

By Heinz D

Sep 29, 2019

The lectures are very focused, which is positive. Unfortunately, there are no lecture slides to download. The lecture voice is possibly machine-generated and there is no indication of empathy, which is kind of a cultural shock after having passed four of Dr. Chuck's great python courses. For unknown reasons I had to open each quiz twice to be able to submit. IBM's Developer Skills Network hosts the Jupyter notebooks and I wasted a lot of my time facing missing notebooks, timeouts, dying kernels, and slowly starting Docker containers. I'd rather like to download the notebooks and run them on my local machine (I found out how to do this by end of the 4th week). The notebooks are filled with IBM advertisements. A registration at IBM's Watson is necessary, but the setup descriptions are outdated and the setup is not uncomplicated.

By Michael S

Jul 12, 2020

1. I wish the labs had more doing and less reading. Especially since the labs and the videos cover pretty much the same stuff.

2. There are small errors everywhere in this course! It would be so much better if they just had one human take the time and go through the entire course from beginning to end, fixing any mistakes. For example sometimes the quiz questions in the videos pop up right before they explain something, not after. One of labs contains a table that is illegible. One of the labs asks a quiz question not covered by the lab itself. And the first to graded quizes are before the labs and they clearly should be after. I'm only in week two and these are all the mistakes I've found so far.

By Frazer L

Jan 5, 2021

Not exactly a beginner friendly course. Videos are of poor quality like watching a bad powerpoint, voice sounds robotic. Sentences are cut off midway for a quick quiz question. The skills labs were oke, good for extra info on how to write code though the assignments just jumped to a more experienced level than beginner half way through the course. The quizes are to easy...

First course in the specialization just feels like a promotion for IBM software, a lot of info on how to open and read files in different programs without having to use them.. Just explain what programs are used in data science and why. Then when you actually have to use them you can dive deeper.

By Kendall G

Oct 31, 2018

I was really unimpressed with this course. There were many grammatical errors throughout the lessons, labs, and the final assignment. The lessons move very quickly and the quizzes are not challenging. I would have liked the quizzes to feature more code-from-scratch questions. The labs did have coding questions but were also very easy. I never felt like the material 'stuck' with me. The most frustrating part of this course was the final assignment which tested us on concepts NEVER introduced during the course. The discussion forums reflected this as many other students were very confused as to how to complete the final project. I would not recommend this course.

By Jay J

Sep 20, 2019

The instructions for IBM Watson need some work for those of us who are not actively involved with that environment. I also utilized my "free" processing in a previous class (due to the same instruction complaint) and had to contact IBM support to resolve over the course of 5 days. I suppose the good news is that I am now much more educated on IBM Watson through trial and error coupled with customer support. It should be noted that a set of instructions from IBM support and a 7 minute phone call resolved my issue which I am pleased with. However, it took ~5 days to log a ticket and get to resolution.

By LME L

Apr 20, 2021

The IBM Watson space didn't work at all -- big disappointment. There were several places in the material that appeared to be pasted in from other courses or referred to materials that had not been taught anywhere previously. This created a lot of confusion working through materials and I even lost points on a couple of quizzes due to quiz questions being presented for which graphics were missing or course material had never been introduced. I"m concerned about whether there is a human who has responsibility for maintaining and correcting the errors in the course material.

By Joseph H

Mar 22, 2021

While IBM's lectures have an irritating voiceover for lectures and can be stereotypically useless at times...they are usually really beneficial in one regard or another. However, this particular Python course is horrific and acts as if it were to help guide you through it, then pushes you into the deep end saying that you should know how to swim. I recommend taking a Python Bootcamp if you want to gain anything of substance out of this course, but then again, after the boot camp, you won't need it. For a "professional" company, this course leaves almost all to be desired.

By Matthew A

Mar 24, 2021

The week 4 content is a complete 180 from the earlier content in the IBM Data Analysis Certificate. Spelling errors, poor video quality, incorrect information and exercises requiring you to use commands in Python that will not be introduced until later in the course. Some staff were also unhelpful in the forums; replying to questions about exercises and concerns with only a "Thanks for your feedback". I was very satisfied with the course until this point. Other parts of the course were well done and unfortunately made this one part stick out like a sore thumb.

By Tracey C

Jan 25, 2021

The videos and quizzes were fine. Some parts of the hands-on labs were ok, the final project was fine. However, the hands-on labs are NOT for beginners. They would start out just fine but then most had a last project that was just ridiculous- using functions and syntax that was not in any of the videos or earlier parts of the lab. It was so frustrating for me and the discussion boards are full of tons of other students with the same frustrations. The earlier courses were good, this course was poorly constructed and executed.

By Hieu L

Aug 30, 2019

Contents are simple and easy to learn. However, It covers basis aspects of Python programming

But I expect more in-depth practical examples and exercises. I think the course should includes more projects. The most confused part is about IBM Watson I personally not quite 100% sure what is the goal to include that platform in this course and moreover what does it actually help the future ai/data engineer or scientists. Because most of the time, I was talked about configurations and stuff which I am doubt it will be helpful!

By Agnieszka W

Jun 20, 2019

Very disappointing unfortunately. In the video lessons and tutorials all the examples are far away from the "real world" examples. I didn't have the impression that the learning material helped me prepare for the final assignment. Also the explanations in the tutorial are very vague and misleading and partially using obsolete screenshots that don't match the current naming and navigation. I had the impression that I spent more time dealing with the lacking precision of the descriptions than with writing the actual code

By Rebecca C

Jan 2, 2021

I took this course as part of the Data Analyst Professional Certificate and have never worked with Python before. I thought this would be an easy(ish) introduction to Python, however this course is not for beginners. The first two weeks are easy to follow, but the videos and exercises for the rest of the weeks were too fast and too shallow. I had to supplement this course with one from CodeAcademy to feel comfortable with the material, and I still don't feel that I have a firm grasp of Python, Pandas, or Numpy.

By Nadia S

Jun 11, 2020

This course was just irritating on so many levels. While it does give you an introduction to Python (again many free tutorials online) some/most of the end section exams have 3 questions which is just crazy. Many questions within the videos appear before you get to the answer in their explanation. I found this frustrating on many levels. The course uses Juptyer notebooks without ever explaining the interface. This is the first Coursera course that really makes the question the quality of the course on here.

By Michael V

Mar 28, 2021

The first few weeks cover Object-Oriented Programming basics pretty well, as I have taken a course in Java before. However, weeks 4 and 5 are somewhat week and jump around in the labs, not explaining many of the code that is being used and don't really use enough examples or teach you exactly how to do certain things. I would have to view the solutions and then assume certain lines did "x" or "y" thing without real explanation.

By Pritpal W

Apr 30, 2021

Structure is good but the quality of tuition and support are both terrible. Teaching is via 1) mpeg videos, with some slides being on-screen for under 2 seconds, and 2) hands-on lab exercises which often require knowledge not taught in the videos. And there are no slides to use for reference, and the teaching staff have a habit of 1) not responding to students' queries or 2) providing irrelevant responses.

By Nicholas J F

Apr 24, 2019

Too many problems with the last assignment

1) The code given is insufficient to make the graph. A helpful student posted the extra modules you need to import.

2) Instructions unclear about how to set up bucket. Caused lots of problems for many including myself

3) Type in the assignment says "Submit to IMB Cloud" REALLY , you pay that little attention to spelling you cant' get the course create name right?

By Jason L

Jun 24, 2019

Content is great. Speed is a little fast for some chapters so had to slow it down. I have a little bit of background in Python so I could keep up. What I liked was having practice problems in the Lab, but there were some labs were there were no practice questions so we couldn't really test our knowledge. Overall good introductory course, but could have been better with more interactive questions.

By Martín G G

Aug 29, 2019

The course is good, the contents and the difficulty are fine. As negative points I can say that the tests were blocked (I paid to have the certificate) and I could not finish the course before, even having time to do so I had to wait. Very little or almost no support from both Coursera and the Staff of Teachers in the Forum. No one answered the requests to be able to advance in the course.

By Rick G

Jul 31, 2019

The first 3.5 weeks go over basic programming skills like what variables are, conditionals, loops. The last week and half go over briefly using Python in a data science setting, which is just using pandas and numpy. The title of this class is misleading. I figured we'd start doing Python coding from the beginning. Most of the code is already done for you. Disappointing.

By Waleed A M

Jul 2, 2020

The course was not designed and taught properly. Although python language is very interesting, but this course presented it in a very boring way. I couldn't understand the bigger picture in this course and its relevance to AI. Practice assignments were not enough. Compared to other IBM courses in this certification, this course was definitely not of the standard.

By Marie D

Mar 18, 2020

I feel overwhelmed by the amount of information presented in the course and frustrated that you don't really get to practice what you learn. Most of the labs (if they load) already have the code entered and you just run it. You can play with it if you want, but I don't feel like I really retained all the coding and syntax that was presented.

By T W

Apr 14, 2020

There are simpler ways to present information. The narrative was extremely fast paced. I found myself having to slow the narration down quite a bit. The course was not for me and I will seek to learn Python through a different means. I do appreciate the limitless opportunities to test and run your code, which is why I gave two stars.

By Touhami W

Feb 2, 2021

I am disappointed with this course and especially with the APIs part and the use of IBM Watson Studio. It is very poorly explained, we talk about predicting house prices and then we work on US economy. It deserves to be reworked. I wasted a lot of time figuring out what is required and not getting started with python

By Krzysztof O

Dec 21, 2019

The course is too easy, there are not enough examples for self-practicing. The examples should demand enough effort to get rid of people who are just "certificate collectors". After all, the value of the certificate will be almost zero, anyone how just wants and has money to pay the fee is able to get it.

By Florent M

May 7, 2019

Cours intéressant mais pas très concret dans son approche. Evaluation très décevante ne permettant pas de mettre en oeuvre le langage mais encore une fois tournée vers une publicité déguisée pour IBM. Le fait que l'entreprise soit à l'origine du cours ne devrait pas impacter la pertinence de son contenu.