Back to Python for Data Science, AI & Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science, AI & Development by IBM

Kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general, with this beginner-friendly introduction to Python. Python is one of the world’s most popular programming languages, and there has never been greater demand for professionals with the ability to apply Python fundamentals to drive business solutions across industries. This course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours—no prior programming experience necessary! You will learn Python fundamentals, including data structures and data analysis, complete hands-on exercises throughout the course modules, and create a final project to demonstrate your new skills. By the end of this course, you’ll feel comfortable creating basic programs, working with data, and solving real-world problems in Python. You’ll gain a strong foundation for more advanced learning in the field, and develop skills to help advance your career. This course can be applied to multiple Specialization or Professional Certificate programs. Completing this course will count towards your learning in any of the following programs: IBM Applied AI Professional Certificate Applied Data Science Specialization IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Upon completion of any of the above programs, in addition to earning a Specialization completion certificate from Coursera, you’ll also receive a digital badge from IBM recognizing your expertise in the field....

MA
May 16, 2020

The syllabus of the course takes you in a roller-coaster ride.\n\nFrom basic level to advance level and you won't feel any trouble nor hesitate a bit.\n\nIt's easy, it's vast, and it's really usefull.

HM
Nov 17, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

151 - 175 of 3,467 Reviews for Python for Data Science, AI & Development

By Olivia V

Dec 3, 2020

Content is very uneven. Courses range from way too shallow to way too complicated, mistakes in the labs, quizzes questions about subjects that are part of the next chapter... A bit surprising coming from IBM.

By Brett O

Feb 18, 2021

Feel like this is beyond an intro course. A little disappointed, but some material was very helpful in learning about Python, but still thought it was at least a mid-level course.

By Juan F

Apr 3, 2021

The first part of the course is useful and well explained, the last one does not explain enough the contents and, although you will easily pass it, you will not learn much.

By Matthew D

Dec 6, 2020

The tutorial videos don't go as much into detail, I think you should watch/read some additional tutorials and materials to deepen your understanding

By Nathan D C

Dec 2, 2020

While I enjoyed the labs, the videos do not explain the concepts well. They assume you know certain aspects of python, such as syntax and structure.

By Mateus F

Mar 14, 2019

Really basic course.

In my opinion it should have more programming assignments and they should be harder.

By Karel H

Apr 11, 2019

The final exam had nothing to do with the course at all. Very poorly thought out.

By Divya

Feb 17, 2019

very basic .could be little advanced

By Nicole C

Dec 3, 2020

In general, the material is well presented in this course. If you already know Python programming, probably most notions and examples will seem trivial. The labs are really important to gain a deep understanding of the course material. But you won't get to actually write your own code with a very few exceptions (e.g. the urn problem). The multiple choice graded questions most of the time aren't multiple, aren't randomized (thing peculiar for instructors to omit, in an allegedly data science course), are trivial and don't get deep on the programming aspect. The instructors are almost absent with minimal presence in the forums & discussions. Last week's graded assignment is about compiling an already existing code in the jupyter notebook and you will waste a considerable amount of time trying to submit your work via IBM's cloud rather than actually working on the code itself or on understanding the underlying notions and concepts. In summary, this course certainly has a potential and can be improved on various levels (instructors availability, problem solving, etc.), but if you already know programming I believe this course will be of little to no use for you, except if you want to spend some time and money during lockdowns. If you do not, you will probably get a grasp of the basics of Python programming but, in any case, do not expect to improve your problem solving skills. Nevertheless, if you combine this course with a personal involvement in solving programming problems via Python it will could be beneficial, however I am not sure if it's worth the money.

By John G

Mar 9, 2021

I am a beginner in Python. This course covered a lot and I understand a lot more now. However, there were always steps and explanations missing. The labs were basically clear until some of the practice exercises which required a lot of things that were not included in the course. The labs in general, however, were very useful.

As many people wrote, there were so many mistakes in spelling and sometimes even in the code. Shame on IBM for not having someone proofread! Furthermore, this robotic woman never stops and never intonates when something changes on the slides. Presentations were so poor. Were they given to a student as homework to create? I don't have anything against Indians, but did the course really need to be outsourced to India to be created? I am sure that if IBM had run this course with its employees as a trial group, it never would have been released as it is. I'm sure that IBM would not offer this course to its employees. In any case, I am happy that I went through it, but am looking for other courses/resources to actually understand Python.

By Thierry C

Mar 3, 2021

Let's be honest, no one without any experience of programming is going to be an expert by the end of this course. I have learned a lot, yes, but I am far to be a Python programmer even less specialized in Data Science at the end of this. The lessons are very basics with a consistent frustrating exercise at the end of each and every lesson: for some reason, the author assumes that you already know how to program with Python, so the exercise is about something which never ever was even mentioned during the lesson. Some lab exercises are largely outdated as mentioned in one of them: "This lab describes the current version of Language Translator, 2018-05-01" in March 2021... Now, the final assignment was actually the most interesting part of the whole course as data science was actually involved with interesting data even though there was still that frustrating question about something never spoken during the course: finding a value greater than the other in a column.

By Anthony V

Dec 28, 2018

In my opinion, this course goes all over the place. The video lessons are thrown at you too fast, it's hard to grasp anything really, It's not well structured at all..

I was fortunate enough to have some basic Python knowledge before this, so I could get a thing or two.

The final assignment should be greatly rethought, even scrapped for something that actually lets people put their lessons to good use. The last two weeks are spent on methods and some basic data analysis functions, which is good and all of a sudden we are tasked with making faks album covers...

A good improvement would be to create an assignment which lets people practice a lot of things shown in the course, not copy pasting some code and rewriting a function...

By Deanna B

Apr 21, 2021

Disappointed. I started off enjoying this course and was taking the time to fully understand all the concepts of Python. By the second week, JupyterLab was not working and for 3 days I was trying to connect to it, to do my labs. Although I was continuing on the course work, not being able to do the labs was keeping me behind. Others in the discussion forum were concerned about the same issue but I do feel at this stage that someone should be able to notify the group of these issues instead of people wasting time trying to log onto something that has a technical problem. I eventually unsubscribed from my certification as this was not an efficient way for me to study, and was using up too much wasted time!

By Vasily A

Dec 24, 2019

The course is a brief whizz through Python and could be good on its own as a refresher for those who already know the basics of Python, however it is the final assessment that spoils the course - this assessment was probably written by different people who did not see the course itself. It does not test your Python skills, but rather your ability to set up IBM Watson Studio and IBM Cloud Object Storage, which is a pretty fiddly service for the uninitiated. Did I learn anything useful from this assessment? Probably not. There are far better Python courses out there, e.g. check out the one from the Higher School of Economics.

By Joanne C

Feb 17, 2021

Though I do feel like I learned some things from this course, I was not very happy with the way the material was presented. The first half of the labs were great, but the second half was way beyond what was being taught in this course and difficult to follow. I ended up skipping those sections and still did well on the quizzes. I think those portions need to be removed. There were also a few quizzes with answer errors. It took several times of answering the same thing for it to accept it as the correct answer. If I had it to do over again, I would learn Python somewhere else.

By Taz P

Sep 18, 2018

Maybe it's a good introductory course for Python, however, I got an impression that the authors gave up three quarters into the course. The labs become more of a reading material rather than a place where you can practice a hands-on approach. The final assessment - omg, I fail to see any relevance between the course material and what is expected in the final assignment! The only lesson I have learnt from it is that I shouldn't trust online courses to learn a subject.

I would not recommend this course to other people.

By Alessio B

Nov 10, 2020

The Coursera's curse hits again. I can't recall an entire specialization in which, at some point, I didn't feel completely lost. In this instance it took 4 courses. I don't know what happened in the 4th week but personally I would have spread the content into 2-3 more weeks, with way more practical exercises and examples.

The final project more or less comes out of nowhere, there is definetely not enough material to face the 4th question (unless you had previous experience with Python).

By Elizabeth S

Nov 30, 2020

This course is a good base, but is really in need of an overhaul. The fundamental pieces are there, but the material is riddled with typos, expectations of reading tutorials that don't exist anymore, and incomplete instructions that leave you in the dark. I wish they would not skip over concepts as they are introduced, but instead give even a short blurb about what it is so that we get used to seeing the more complicated code that is "skipped over".

By Jake S

May 28, 2021

Not for beginners. Difficulty ramps up extremely quickly, and instructors offer little to no support. I requested help on lab exercises more than once and received responses like "just use logic." I find it hard to believe that anyone without a programming background can succeed in this course. Sure, they can pass--the exams and quizzes are not challenging, but the lab exercises are far too complex given the content of the instructional videos.

By Filip C

Aug 8, 2020

I'll start with saying that whoever designed this course knows nothing about how to educate people. Have you tried going though it? The video lectures are read by a voice that sounds like a robot. Also, majority of things taught here have zero context on how we can use them to solve actual data problems. The final exam is a joke, not because the course is good, but because it's objectively speaking easy. Overall, an educational disaster.

By Amr M A E

Dec 5, 2020

The first three corses in this professional certificate were very good and was taking me step by step. But in this course, everything is just running and jumping steps. The videos, quizzes, and the first part of labs are in a level, and the final assesment in the end of each lab is in a whole other level especiall in week 3 and 4.

By Stephen P

Feb 16, 2021

I guess this course is currently being updated and transitioned to a new course, but the labs include material that is never covered in the videos, there is a steep increase in difficulty, and the course is NOT a "beginner-friendly, no experience required" introduction to Python as advertised. This course needs a major overhaul.

By Daniel S

Dec 4, 2018

It has some errors between the narrator and what's shown on the course.

I had to rewatch the videos a few times to understand that what was being shown wasn't the same thing the narrator was explaining.

Also, the submission of the assignment wasn't working and nobody from Coursera would step in to answer/fix the issue.

By DANG D D

Apr 22, 2021

I was stuck in Week 4 and 5 as the exercises are far different from what I (and I believe other students as well) have been taught from the videos and labs. I do think you need to restructure the course to be easily understandable for all of students.

By Sreeja D

Dec 2, 2020

Not a beginner's course. Because I learnt some python I understood the concepts which I know but "objects and classes" concepts are not at all clear. I wanted IBM to improve and make it beginner's course.