Back to Python for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.3

This class provides an introduction to the Python programming language and the iPython notebook. This is the third course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

KR
Jul 16, 2018

A very good course for its length and the amount of time it requires. It improved my python skills and knowledge of Genomics. I'm more engaged in my pursuits than before taking the course.

JD
Oct 6, 2017

Easy to understand and very powerful examples. Not just it made me familiar with python, it also made it easy for me to teach to my students and inspire them to pursue python further.

26 - 50 of 248 Reviews for Python for Genomic Data Science

By Ahmed F

Jul 28, 2016

Poor lectures by one of the instructors makes it hard to listen.

By Nur A A P

Apr 20, 2020

Nothing about genomics is taught.pretty much disappointe.

By Mahmoud m M

Oct 2, 2016

Very poorly organised material and illustration

By Dr K R

Apr 24, 2017

terrible course

By Andrés H P C

Jul 12, 2021

I recomend this course to any person interested in bioinformatics. Amazing teachers all along the specialization!. My conclusion is the following: I have lots of experience working in java development, and I know very well what is about to construct a software solution. But this course is not about that, this course at the end is about understand some main problems in genomics, like mainly the analysis of Open Reading Frames, and then start to give it our version of the solution, in this case using Python as a tool for the explotation of data and analysis. Easy are the modules about Python if you are programmer, but in my experience the final assestment is far as being easy. Thank you! to any one who was involved in the development of this course, I learned and enjoyed very much!

By Michael J M

May 11, 2016

Really good introduction to Python, Genomics in the two together. This was the first Python course - of many - I've since done and then gone on to use Python professionally and for my own 'Hacker/Maker' projects.

A few typos / mis-alignments between the slides and the explanations - but nothing serious. The presenters know the material and present it well.

A couple of good TAs (full disclosure - I am / have been one of the less good ones!)

By Charles W

Jun 21, 2020

Out of what I have tested so far, I think this is the best Coursera course for beginners.

I frequency use regular expressions, so I think that might be helpful. However, you also thought of things that I frequently use that I might not have remembered were important for beginners. So, perhaps there could be a recommendation of what to do to learn more intermediate skills?

By Zirlane P d C

The course was very good, in general. The instructors and classes were also good. I'm a beginner in python, so I had a lot of difficulties. The final test was difficult for me, I couldn't solve all the questions. I think the course could offer more basic classes, but I intend to study more to understand some points that were not clear to me.

By 李居祚

Nov 24, 2016

Thanks for the interesting course made by two brilliant teacher. This is my first time to learn something about computer science on coursera and I really enjoyed this kind of experience. As a beginner of Bioinformatics, this help me a lot. In the futrue I will continue focusing new courses on coursera provided by Johns Hopkins University!

By Animesh U

Mar 25, 2019

This was an in-depth course about python. Being a doctor, it was tough grasping all the content. And considering the short amount of time I have, this course taught me a lot; however I needed lot of external help to finish it thoroughly. Thank you so much for this one, it will really help me in my future endeavors.

By NARAYANA S K

May 15, 2020

Great way of teaching. Hats off to the teachers. This course is excellently designed for biologists like me. The basics were clearly explained with subject examples. This created more interest in sticking to the videos and course. Thanks to the academic faculty.

By Ziliang L

Aug 2, 2018

This is a very good course. I do learn some useful stuffs for biological analysis. But I want more from the Biopython section, that's the reason I register this course. It would be nice if they can provide the test data and expected result for us to test our code.

By Timothy B

Jun 6, 2021

Finally found a python course that works with a fasta file. I think I would have struggled if I didn't take some python intro courses before taking this. I enjoyed this because I can apply what I learned toward the sequencing data from my work.

By Borys J

Sep 29, 2016

Really fun and well explained but very basic. It's just an introduction to Python with a brief presentation of the Biopython module. I guess the next course, Algorithms for Dna Sequencing, is meant to give more grasp on Python for Biology.

By Gustavo D O

Jan 16, 2017

Very good course. The course material goes from basic to more advanced content in a very catching way. The quizzes were well structured with very interesting challenges. I definitely improved my python skills a lot in this course

By Kushal R R

Sep 29, 2020

Thanks a lot Professor Steven and Partea for giving me to such opportunity to attend the course. . I would love to show my heartiest gratitude to coursera for giving me chance to learn and hope to never give up .

By Ajay K

Initially, I thought it's a perfect course for Biopythons' neophyte learners later I realized in week-4 I realised its quite intermediate but in final quiz activity, It opened my eyes (Difficult than expected).

By Hari S

Jun 23, 2016

The best introductory python tutorial I've come across.......concise, very well organized.......

I wish this team come up with a series of courses gradually introducing more advanced topics in this area.....

By ANKITA M P

May 5, 2020

Clearly explained about the concepts of Python programming and Biopython. Biopython should have been discussed a little more precisely. Overall I enjoyed learning the course. Thanks to both the professors!

By Antonis P

Jan 25, 2021

excellent course. minor bits where i lost the instructor due to no programming background and the instructor took some things for granted. nevertheless, really great course

By Ammar A

May 1, 2016

Great introduction to genomic data science using Python. The questions were challenging enough to make you work and wasn't too difficult that you get blocked.

By Geoffrey K

Oct 13, 2018

I learned a lot from this course, being new to coding. The content is tweaked towards bioinformatic problems and requires a good grasp of the topic to pass.

By Charles K

Jul 11, 2016

A great medium to learn python via, I'm not a biologist, but that is no barrier, and the backdrop is a great way to learn to play about with Python.

By Rajitha A

May 1, 2020

Excellent course! you can learn from the beginning to end without any prior knowledge. if you have prior experience, this will fulfil the gaps.

By EDWIN P

Aug 3, 2020

The whole course was above my expectations. outstanding quality of what is being taught and very clear elaborated noted with helpful example.