Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

DA
Apr 23, 2020

Great course. The lectures are clear and thorough. The assignments are challenging yet doable. The only thing I would like is to see more assignments to get more practice with the techniques learned.

76 - 100 of 6,741 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By kalu M

May 2, 2019

I just finished Using Python to Access Web Data, which is the third (3rd) course in the Python for Everybody specialization. The course wasn't so easy as the previous courses in the specialization as I had to spend more time debugging and practicing, nevertheless, it was lot more fun.

Completing and learning the coursework in this course would definitely have been impossible without the Python for Everybody team which includes the good Dr.Chuck and the mentors. There are many things I liked in this course. The discussion forums were great, the videos and slides were really cool and the mentors did great stuff like checking your code for you and other good stuffs. Becoming a programmer is subject to many constraints and the chiefest of this is the need for mentor-ship and the Python for Everybody team understands this so well.

There is just one flaw. I recommend more sample projects, more course work , more content, and more work files but this would make the course boring, last much more longer and nobody wants to grow grey hair learning python. The best way to take care of this might be to introduce an additional course. Notwithstanding,I give this course a 5-star rating and recommend it to anyone who has a thing for python and who has a good understanding of its syntax and data structures covered in the previous courses of the specialization.

By ashok m

Aug 13, 2020

This was a great learning experience. It was tough but in the end, you feel satisfied that you worked hard and your efforts paid off. Dr. Chuck is a great teacher, content creator and an inspiring technologist. I really enjoyed, apart from the core course content, his interviews of original creators such as the WWW, JSON, at the CERN centre etc. It helped me understand and empathise with myself when I found it difficult to grasp certain concepts.

I have one complaint though. The teaching staff (especially one Ms Tamara Brunnock) are nasty, rude towards beginner students like me and others. The discussion forums should be a courteous place to exchange thoughts and reveal your ignorances. However these teaching staff bully students with rhetorical questions. I don't know why they are teaching staff if they don't love the subject, love teaching and love interacting with students. I got zero value addition through these discussion forums. In some of these forums, there are external freelancers who help you out and that is the only help you get.

Beyond all this quibbling, Dr. Chuck is a great instructor and my computer knowledge is solely thanks to him.

By Gabriela D

Nov 2, 2020

As in the previous courses, the material was well explained and easy to follow. Dr. Severance is charismatic and makes the best of a less-than-ideal medium.

The assignments ended up being quite fun, but the wording is not always 100% clear, which I imagine poses some problems for those whose English isn't great.

The other thing is that the assignments were always more complicated than the examples shown. In some cases, it was possible to apply what we learned; in others, it was necessary to look up how to do certain things. That's not a problem, but expectations should be more clearly communicated because people will waste hours trying to modify code they were shown only to discover that there is a very specific way of writing something. It's akin to showing someone a few collocations in a foreign language and expecting them to intuitively know an idiom they've never seen before. However, for people who are barely learning how to code, assembling and adapting code is perfectly fine, as long as you understand exactly what everything does.

By Vikas V

Jun 1, 2019

This has been an excellant designed course for everyone who is interested to become part of python programming course.

Dr. Chuck has been an expectional trainer throught out the course material and his method of explainning the slides while parallely informing that this particular content would help you resolve the 'Grade Exrecise' later down the course is simply awesome.

Once you finish the course,you would definately be in a position to understand from simple to medium complexity python programs.I would like to add one smart trick here "speciality of the course and explanation is the number of times you browse through the video material,more you will increase your understanding for that particular topic.

I can't thanks coursera and Dr. chuck enough to help people learning python so effectively and efficiently and making us build python community.

By German H

Jul 9, 2019

I began learning Python with this course. With absolutely no prior knowledge of or experience in Python (except lots of curiosity), I came across the first two courses on Coursera.org and loved Dr Charles' videos. It's a well structured course, especially if you have just started learning about Python and wish to build your skills more practically than by mere reading of numerous resources. There are plenty of resources that Dr Chuck (as he is fondly referred to by his students) offers in the duration of the course. I especially enjoy the bonus videos that accompany this course. They really help increase your knowledge base and urge you to know and be better and try your hand at various things. I'm glad I decided to pursue the entire specialization offered by University of Michigan, and it is all thanks to Dr. Chuck!

By Aynur Z

Jan 3, 2018

This is a wonderful course and a great tool to learn Python along with some obtaining some fundamental information about the Internet.The video lectures are very clear and accompanied by slides which elaborate the discussed topics. The course also presents a lot of bonus material including interviews. I love the lecturer who gives excellent explanations. My favourite moment was when after explaining the topic about the structure of the internet by a chart Dr. Charles Severance paused for a moment and breathed out heavily and said: "Actually it is easier (the topic) than it sounds". But, of course, his explanations were perfect, he is just passionate about transmitting the information to the students in the easiest to understand manner.And I have to say he succeeds admirably.Overall, I highly recommend this course

By Omar M A

Jul 28, 2020

The course was rich and I learned so many things about web scraping, some regular expressions,parsing html, accessing web data and extracting information from the web, how data is exchanged between different softwares across the web and how to manipulate and parse this data if it was xml or JSON, and a brief introduction to service oriented architecture and what's an API and how to use APIs in your application to add a certain feature.

As always, Dr-Chuck is a great and an engaging instructor and I enjoy his lectures so much!

The only thing that I wished was more clear when I began this course is the exact curriculum and the exact skills that the learner should have by the end of it. I had to do a lot of researching and to thoroughly study the text book to achieve that. Other than that everything was 10/10!

By Anna R

Feb 12, 2019

This course is a good introduction to various aspects of web data. It's a pretty broad overview, so no one topic gets too much focus, but I feel much more informed about working with data from various web sources—how you get it, how it's formatted, and how to work with it once you've retrieved it. Dr. Chuck is a great teacher, and the assignments help you understand the material covered in the lectures through some hands-on work. One downside to this course as compared to the previous courses in the series is that the assignments seemed to involve more direct copying of example code, and less problem solving, which means it was harder to feel that I'd really mastered the techniques. That said, the materials provided are good examples and I'm sure I'll return to them in the future.

By Christopher V

Mar 3, 2020

The comments from other students about this being maddening and difficult are fair. There's a lot of arcane stuff in the commands needed to simply set up a connection and there are several places where it's not always clear how to get some code running (eg, twurl, oauth). Two responses that still make the five star rating make sense: 1) the forum was actually pretty helpful in getting through some of the problems; and 2) learning how to solve problems by poking around and experimenting is part of what we need to learn. Finally, I think the whole thing of how do you address individual elements of something returned - JSON or XML - should be a bit of a struggle. Forced me to think, work through things on paper, and I've learned some debugging techniques.

By zhe h

Aug 11, 2016

First, thank you Dr. Chuck for the well-designed class.

Here are a few things that may help improve this class:

first, it might make more sense if you introduce python class or object first, then the package and method and return type will make more sense.

second, it could include more coding for scraping on the web, the examples are very limited(well, ok I understand this is a pretty introductory course....)

Last, for those who use python3, there are many thinks you should notice to make ur code work, such as from bs4 import BeautifulSoup, also notice the urllib has been split so you should import urllib.request and urllib.parse, also for those return value as byte, use decode('utf8') to convert it to strings, otherwise it will cause a lot of trouble in json

By Ashray G

Jul 18, 2019

As I mentioned in the previous reviews about this Specialisation, all these courses are meant for beginners without previous programming experience and the difficulty of courses rises gradually.Thus, the first course was a real piece of cake, second got a little tougher and this one is the first course that really took me some time to finish it. This time I really had to listen to some lectures twice, to debug my code a hell lot of times and to stick to the sample code a lot.Students, who have programming experience might still think that this course is too slow and easy, but it is a great way for the beginner to learn python.To sum up: great course, uprising difficulties, recommend enrolling after finishing previous courses. 10/10

By Kry

Sep 24, 2016

People use Python for many purposes: to make games, build web services, to solve business problems, to work with sensors, drivers and robots. Python is also used heavily in scientific fields for academic research and applied work.

Python is an incredibly efficient language: your programs will do more in fewer lines of code than many other languages would require.

Py4inf and Python explained by C. Servance, is a great developing of the foundations in programming (first two courses) that will serve you well for the rest of your life, as well as a course that will give you a sort of try to understanding of what great things python can do for you.

I strongly recommend this course for anybody, who wants to start with informatics.

By jorge g

Jul 18, 2017

This is an excellent course. Its level, its intensity, and the assignments are appropriate for people who knew nothing about programming and whose knowledge derives from the courses in this specialization. For students with this background, the time taken to read the material, watch the videos, and prepare the assignments exceeds that advertised in the course, especially the time to complete the assignments. To complete the assignment one needs to master the material and that takes time, more than to understand it, which is easy to do. The information on time spent should be corrected. I have learned much in the three courses taken so far, and expect to continue learning in the remaining two courses in the specialization.

By Benjamin S

While Course 3 is significantly more challenging and technical than Courses 1 and 2 from the Python specialization, I found this to be the first time I truly felt that my Python knowledge was practically applied. Although parsing local text files is fine, one of my main goals with Python was learning to use it to interface with APIs in a seamless manner. I was also very curious as to how web scraping is actually performed, and I'm proud to say that I finally learned how it works. This course is very valuable for anyone who feels everything they've learned in Python up until this point is highly theoretical and indispensable for anyone looking to apply their Python knowledge in a professional environment.

By Art P

The quality of this Coursera specialization continues. Lots of great information about networks and how to interact with them. My interest is definitely piqued for Dr. Chuck's book, "Introduction to Networking" and course "Internet History, Technology, and Security". The programming assignments continue to be straight forward and rewarding. As others have mentioned, the content can be a bit more challenging and technical with slightly less focus on Python than the previous py4e courses. However, the information provides great understanding on how to interact with the internet through Python which is a very common application. It's worth it if you're up for the challenge!

By Barrie C

Apr 12, 2019

Dr. Chuck again does not disappoint. This class gets into the nitty gritty of web scraping using html, xml, JSON and APIs such as Google geo and Twitter. A lot of the framework is given to you in the sample code, but the trick is modifying the code for the specific task they give you, so reading the book chapter and paying close attention in the lectures to how each format is structured will help you. Also use the forum if you need to--if you have already programmed before and sailed through the first two classes in the specialization, this class may surprise you with its increased rigor but once again Dr. Chuck and his staff on the forum will get you up to speed.

By Xavier Y

May 23, 2018

Excellent course, I highly recommend it. Ch. Severance is an excellent instructor, I must have said it already twice, but I can still say it again!

This course didn't make me an expert in accessing Web data, but tought me basic knowledge of what Web Services are and how to work with them in Python. Before, I have heard a bit about these concepts, but I was reluctant to using them because I didn't understand what they actually were. Now, I'm way more confident about this, and I know I'd happily delve into more advanced tutorials or courses on this topic if I needed to. This is the best profit I made from this course. Thanks a lot Dr. Chuck, see you in a next course!

By Luis W D M

Aug 29, 2019

As the two first courses in the "Python for Everyone Specialization", this course is great. I had never done any programming in retrieving data from the web before and it was really fun being capable of learning and doing it.

However, since the lecture videos exploit a lot of the API set ups for Google and Twitter services, I expected assignments would demand these kind of things. On the other hand, as it is a begginer's course, I thought extremely useful as my first contact in retrieving data in different formats (html, xml, json) and in understanding what an API is.

Once again, thanks for Professor Severance and all the staff supporting this specialization!

By Mir A

Nov 15, 2016

I have got a very handsome introduction to the regular expressions , web services and API . The lectures are very easy to follow. It is better to answer the quizzes right after watching the vdo lectures. The questions are mostly from what has been described in the lecture. The assignments are a little more insightful. May require basic google searches to acquire knowledge of accessing the data structures. The assignments addresses rudimentary practical problems but very substantial for starters in this field of programming. Thanks to Dr Chuck. The course is very well organized and have materials to hold the attention of the person who is following the lectures.

By Yashodeep P

Jan 5, 2020

This course is a really good head start to know more about the web and how to parse data from the web.Dr. Chuck explained all the details very well and the assignments are comprehensive. In the initial weeks, the assignments are simple and not so complicated, but as the course advances, you will spend hours to figure out the assignment. At times this is often frustrating but once you get the final answer correct, the accomplishment makes you very happy.I really loved the course and would be looking for other material online to get a deeper knowledge on this subject. Apart from that, I will definitely enroll in all other courses under this specialization.

By Malhar B

Jul 1, 2018

Great instructor, great class, and very easy to follow. I learned a LOT!My only critique, is that many times when I am trying to fully understand how some code works within the presentation, the presentation will suddenly show the instructor speaking briefly, and then go back to the code. We don't need to see Steve. When he's trying to explain how code works during the presentation, just show the code. This allows me to understand what's going on while he's still speaking. Otherwise I need to pause the video, and by that point I'm no longer focused on what he was talking about.Otherwise, this course is near perfect, and I've learned a ton from it. Thanks

By Nikita N

Feb 19, 2017

Amazingly excellent course. Many thanks for Dr. Chuck for creating that. Everything explained very well, enabling doing simple steps to quickly achieving results. For those who alreay know some programming I would really recommend starting from this course and skipping the first 2 courses. Skipping means it's better to read the first 10 chapters Dr. Chucks's book through and start this course right after that. It will save your time allowing not ot do too simple tasks but just read about the Python syntax. The course is also great because of Dr. Chuck's talent to explaing everything with fun and ease. Definitely 6 stars out of 5 for the course!

By Kainka

Feb 28, 2017

This is not another general Python course which leaves you with an 'idea' of what can be done and you struggle to actually do it. This course is in fact giving you all the relevant tools you need and leaves you with a set of practical skills allowing you to write Python codes to extract Web Data that can be used for further analysis. Creating a web browser, screen scraping, parsing XML, or JSON are among the actual skills you're getting and this is all possible thanks to the first class lectures and materials provided by Dr. Chuck. He has a particular talent and desire to teach and explain things to you so you will understand them for good.

By Berke E

Sep 20, 2020

I have enjoyed learning about how I can use Python to retrieve information about websites using its JSON and XML data. I had prior knowledge of Python and Data from my data science experience therefore I think that the assignments where pretty easy to complete. I was expecting a bit harder assignments that would challenge me. The quizzes were just enough to test your knowledge about the material. I had to go through my notes before starting a quiz. Now I will challenge myself with the knowledge I have received from this course. Thank you Dr. Chuck , University of Michigan and Coursera for providing Using Python to Access Web Data course.

By Shubhankar S

Jun 11, 2020

I am really grateful to the instructors especially Tamara ma'am. They have never let your morale down and keep boosting your confidence and skills. Whenever I was in trouble, those daily tips for solving the assignment always lead you to your goal closer and closer one at a time instead of giving all the hints at once for helping us understand the contents of the course. And truly I became one of Dr Chuck's fans. I was in awe of his teaching skills and it was good to hear his lectures and explaining hard concepts in a pretty satirical way.Thank you so much and I hope that Dr.Chuck and the teaching staff have seen my appreciation message.