Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

AB
Jun 6, 2019

Getting a bit more challenging than the earlier courses in the specialization. The exercises require more struggle, but all the information is there. Another step along the way. Thank you, Dr. Chuck!

7126 - 7150 of 7,207 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By MEET S

Jun 30, 2020

great

By TATENDA Y G

Jun 21, 2018

Heavy

By PRASHANT M

good

By Pratik L P

Apr 16, 2020

good

By 贾培申

Dec 4, 2015

Sep 4, 2019

ok

By Tom K

Jun 13, 2017

I adored all the previous courses but I think there is some guidance lacking in this course with made me complete it with quite some frustration. The manual does not nearly explain enough as it gets more complicated. There should really be some more guidance as how to maneuver through all the lists and dictionaries . Also a lot of example code is just there without anyone telling you why, which makes it hard to understand what is actually going on.

It might also be nice to get some extra help or at least some tips when you are using python 3. The manual is adapted for Python 3 but the course is not at all, which means you have to convert all example code which is time consuming and error prone.

Then as a last thing, it is really annoying that I cannot do the quizzes and exercises without watching the movies. Especially those stupid questions as who invented this and this. Sorry but that is really not what I want to spend my time on.

By Imran H

Nov 8, 2020

This assignments in this course was very difficult. It was extremely frustrating because the course content is structured in such a way that you don't get a clear idea of all the functions and we are just told to "Do it" because it works. There should have been much more smaller lessons or assignments to make us understand how the urllib line functions. Getting stuck at the assignments was very demoralizing. In some of the assignments I had to read codes from stackoverflow to figure out if what I was doing was right or wrong. The lessons didn't give us any clear clue on how we should approach these problems. One of the biggest obstacles we face is knowing how to look at a problem and figure out what steps we have to take. This course didn't teach us the methods to figure it out on our own. It was more of a copy/paste and modify.

By Ricky

Mar 14, 2016

The continuity and smoothness of the first two Python courses have been lost. From week 3 onward the assignments were badly worded, and that distracts the learning. People were trying to decipher the wording of the questions, not learning how to code. Lectures of later weeks were "rushed", very little buildup of understanding and I felt assignments were done for the sake of passing, very little were learned during those final 3 to 4 weeks. Effort were mostly wasted as little learning has been retained. May be there are topics that needed to be introduced for Course 4, will see, as I'll be doing straight after. The course overall is still very positive and the prof. clearly has put in a lot of effort and they are greatly appreciated.

By Efron C

Mar 3, 2020

I wish there were options to hide the clues given for the coding assignments and for the last assignment I understood what was happening and why but I really just copied and pasted the code given for the Google API assignment and only had to make the minor change to find the textual identifier in JSON. I think there should be more than one solution explained for each coding example and I am concerned about not knowing how to deal with unstructured data, up to this point it has been ideal, relatively easy, structured data in the assignments. I am learning just not sure how much I can do without looking at my notes as a reminder.

By Nicolas I C A

Apr 8, 2021

A pesar de que aprendí mucho en este curso, siento que faltó mucho por cubrir en algunos temas. Hubo muchas líneas de código que no se explicaron porque se usaban (me imagino que era complejo de explicar) y esto provocaba que muchas veces no sabía cuando usar esas líneas ni para que me servían, simplemente copiaba y pegaba lo que el instructor me decía.

Mi comprensión en este curso fue sumamente inferior a los 2 cursos anteriores de esta especialidad.

En el ultimo quizz preguntan por "REST" el cual al parecer fue eliminado del contenido enseñado pero no se han eliminado las preguntas en el quizz.

By Michael T

Jul 13, 2017

I thought that in multiple situations they tried to get around teaching something that they considered beyond the scope of the class and it didn't work very well. For example, one chapter required that you set up a non-standard library. Instead of actually teaching students how to set up non-standard libraries, they just gave you a file that would make everything in the chapter work. This is fine for a class, but in the real world there aren't people handing out magical files that make everything work.

By Mohamad F B R

Oct 18, 2020

Dr Chuck is an amazing tutor. While I've enjoyed the content and pacing for the past 2 courses, it is indeed frustrating to complete this course for a couple of reasons. The coding assignments covers content which are not taught in the courses, despite just having to tweak a few lines of codes. As a beginner to Python, despite completing the course, I felt that there are large gaps in this course that needs to be addressed.

By Fahad F

Jun 15, 2019

As a beginner, the first two courses had really helped me in getting a solid understanding, but in this course I was somehow left with feeling as if I did not grasp the full content of the course. I think there was too much material to cover and less support to really achieve it.

Nevertheless, Dr. Chuck's way of teaching is awesome, wish he could have given more lectures in this course.

By Supratik C

Jun 29, 2020

I felt like the code involved a lot of boilerplates which were not explained properly, and I experience some of the concepts to go over my head.

this course was unlike the previous 2 courses by Dr. Chuck.

Dr. Chuck is amazing and engaging instructor but for this particular course I felt a little more time should have been spent on some of the topics

By Andrea V B

Nov 24, 2015

Professor is good and funny, and subject is interesting, but that's all. Very basic course, very easy to follow and not at all challenging. Also (maybe because being that easy), peer review is compromised by people who doesn't really know what they're doing there, with comments that were clearly made without any knowledge about the subject.

By Daniel T

Sep 26, 2019

I felt that more practical examples were needed. I struggled getting the exercises done. Even when I completed them it didn't feel like I knew what I was doing - more like "ok it is working now, don't touch it" feeling is what I felt. I understand one might say, the canned reply of "that is how programming is" but this one felt different.

By Nigel P

Nov 27, 2019

I'm abandoning this course because if it's reliance on urllib. This library isn't supported my environment (Anaconda) and the alternative, urllib3, is too different. I've attempted to work around this limitation with 'requests' but this only got me so far.

IMHO this course should be re-written using the more modern requests module.

By Amit G

Jun 8, 2021

3 years back this might be a good course but there is a lot that needs to be updated. There has to be less beating around the bush, off point stories and more to the point facts. The assignments are so easy that you just tweak a line or 2 in the given code and it's done. The final assignment was like adding 1 print statement only.

By Akshay D

The professor didn't take enough examples and it was quite difficult to understand the concepts. The whole course was very difficult to understand as basics were not covered properly. The course says Python for everybody but i don't think so, its for those who have some prior knowledge in html and web developing. VERY DISAPPOINTED

By Aaron P

Dec 23, 2018

This course needs to improve insights from the online tutors in the discussion boards. It took me over a month to complete the final assignment of this course, which I had to pay for. If I would have better insights in the discussion boards, it would have saved me a lot of time and money.

By Sze W T

Jul 20, 2020

a bit difficult since week4the lessons seem to be a bit rush as so many details were not be explained, it caused me confused a lot on why the code should be written in that way or how would the code turns out to be. I wish the assignment could be more practical as well.

By Amal A A

Dec 9, 2020

I think it was so hard to learn and do this course .

but I am glad to finish it ,and I will study it again to make sure that I am good with it .

صراحة كان صعب مرة خصوصاً مع عدم وجود ترجمة لكن اعتقد ان صار عندي اساس استطيع بناء عليه مسيرتي البرمجية فأنا ممتنة جداَ.