Back to Python Programming Essentials

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Programming Essentials by Rice University

This course will introduce you to the wonderful world of Python programming! We'll learn about the essential elements of programming and how to construct basic Python programs. We will cover expressions, variables, functions, logic, and conditionals, which are foundational concepts in computer programming. We will also teach you how to use Python modules, which enable you to benefit from the vast array of functionality that is already a part of the Python language. These concepts and skills will help you to begin to think like a computer programmer and to understand how to go about writing Python programs. By the end of the course, you will be able to write short Python programs that are able to accomplish real, practical tasks. This course is the foundation for building expertise in Python programming. As the first course in a specialization, it provides the necessary building blocks for you to succeed at learning to write more complex Python programs. This course uses Python 3. While many Python programs continue to use Python 2, Python 3 is the future of the Python programming language. This first course will use a Python 3 version of the CodeSkulptor development environment, which is specifically designed to help beginning programmers learn quickly. CodeSkulptor runs within any modern web browser and does not require you to install any software, allowing you to start writing and running small programs immediately. In the later courses in this specialization, we will help you to move to more sophisticated desktop development environments....

HR
Jul 3, 2020

This course is such a wonder!! In spite of being an unenthusiastic Computer Science undergraduate, it was this course that cultivated the interest in me. Both the instructors were too good. Thanks :0

JW
Apr 25, 2018

I really enjoyed this course, but I would highly recommend taking something along the lines of Codecademy prior to this one. It will help to get you versed in some of the more basic things in Python.

26 - 50 of 688 Reviews for Python Programming Essentials

By Ali H

Mar 12, 2020

I found this course very useful as I was able to follow from the very basics. This was important for me as I didn't have much background in Python or coding prior to this course. With this course, now I'm starting to think a bit in the right way and I've learnt some useful basic tools to help me with it through this course.

By kwai c

Apr 17, 2020

A wee bit challenging as a beginner but very good learning. The course imposes a disciplined structure in writing up the program is a good feature. The videos are excellent . Recommend the course

By VARSHENI K C 1

Oct 19, 2020

Well planned course and the assignment really tested the basics . It helped me a lot in getting the basics right!! I take pleasure in thanking the instructors Mr. Scott and Mr.Joe for briefing out.

By Cynthia W

Jun 8, 2018

The class is good...up until the last couple of lessons. In having tried to take the Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python class (also offered by Rice University) in addition to this one, I've noticed that the instructors seem to have a bad habit of walking you through with baby steps all the way up until the end - where they throw a bunch of new concepts/information at you or combine a bunch of concepts in a way that has not been explained, and expect you to fare well. As someone with no experience in programming, I felt it was misleading to have 3.5 weeks of nicely explained introductory level material, only to be thrown more advanced material with little explanation the last 0.5 weeks of study. If the instructors could just keep the pace consistent throughout the course, this can be a winner.

By Robert D

Jan 13, 2021

For a first course in programming, I would have appreciated more hints on how to correct my errors on the project. It was very frustrating and it took me a couple of weeks at 2-3 hours per day to correct enough of the errors to submit for grading. Perhaps I do not have sufficient aptitude for programming, but for any kind of beginning learning, I think that there should be some extra effort made to reduce the frustration level. There will be time enough for frustration in later courses.

By Chaitanya M T

Sep 6, 2020

Did learn about python programming. Being someone who knows a bit of programming, i expected loops, arrays, etc. to be included. Not bad but felt very small

By RASHEDUL A A

Jun 3, 2020

This course was the first course for me about Python. Actually, at first I wanted to learn the data analysis by python but got stuck and then enrolled to this course. Frankly speaking, this course is so well organized and it was well a very interesting learning experience for me. Throughout the course, I enjoyed the lectures and reading materials of Dr. Rixner and Dr. Warren. The assignment was not so simple but owl test helped me a lot. I am looking forward to enroll some courses in this streamline. Thanks to coursera, , faculties, and all members of who have contributed for this program.

By Aydarkhan S

Jul 4, 2020

Course is interesting. If you are a kind of a person that does all stuff right before the deadline, because you do not know where to start and how to do, this course is probably for you.

Very Good guiding. Provided templates were helpful for me to keep track of information and visualie what should be written and how. Also when you see that everything is clearly explained step by step you just start doing it. For my self, I have gained much knowledge not only in Pyhton, but overall how to learn coding.

By Ritvik A

Jul 2, 2020

I was impressed by the course. First of all, the structure was neat and clear and divided into weeks. I didn't have any problems regarding the course site. Second of all, the teaching was excellent and all made sense to me. No complaints. Third of all, the project was really well organized. Finally, the mentor who replies to your questions in the discussion forums is really quick.

All in all, there should be no worries about doing this course. I can't find any course better than this.

By zibo c

Mar 18, 2021

This is a great course for a layman to enter the Python world. Professor Scott is a funny and energetic guy. I did enjoy his class so much. Professor Joe is also of great help to me. He once quoted what Mark Twain said " Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection." This is so correct when you code you need do it step by step, keep testing and thus improving to reach your goal. I will keep it in mind for ever. Life is also the same, isn't it?!

By Aravind R K

Jul 1, 2020

I had taken up a python course elsewhere where i was taught fancy functions and OOPs. I still had a hardtime writing code and i hated it. When i took this course up, i was curious as to what i would learn. This course was so simple in content but had a ton of exercises to get comfortable with writing programs. The project was of a simple concept but was so tricky that it made got my brain racing . I loved it! Cant wait to complete the specialization.

By Ahmad E H

Jun 8, 2020

Thank you Rice University and our top-notch Professors for this great introductory course about Python Essentials. The course takes you step-by-step, holds your hand firmly thru the world of programming using Python language. The practice exercises and mini-projects are priceless in enforcing all the information you learned during this course, you see no surprises as everything is covered in the videos or notes.

By Max B

Apr 10, 2019

If you are new to Python and wants a flying start, this course (and specialization) is for you! Comprise lectures, good material and fun exercises. Sure, there are plenty of other providers for introductory courses in Python but here you will get it all in one place. Even as a semi-seasoned programmer in Python, I found this course to answer some questions that have popped up over the years. Highly recommended!

By Andras B

Sep 15, 2020

Some of the assignments were tough but I focused on what they said in the beginning. Google is your friend and not everything has to be done from scratch. I did the projects on my own. Then when I found I was close to knowing the answer I looked through external resources to give me the bit I was missing. I felt I learned a lot from this course coming in with 0 Python knowledge.

By Drew C

Jan 28, 2021

I took this course as a review of scripting in Python. I thought it provided an excellent review. It offered good practice coding exercises. I believe that it would also provide a good basic introduction to Python as well for people without any background. I thought the automated scoring system for the final project was a bit frustrating, but I muddled through it.

By Ahadul I

Jul 23, 2020

This course is brilliant! I have gone through many python online courses, and have done a few of them. Some are pretty basic, and as a result, I lost my interest in them. On the other hand, some courses are too tough to complete. In that sense, this course is moderate in difficulty level. The exercises are challenging, yet doable.

By Alexander M

Jul 29, 2020

This was a lovely introduction to the world of Python. I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in learning the language. The fact that you can work at your own pace is great for people of all levels of expertise in programming - you can either work fast or slow, and the experience will be rewarding no matter what!

By ADYA S

Mar 3, 2018

Very good course. Thorough and detailed explanation of all concepts. Course takes you smoothly from beginner level to the very end. Amazing how much can be learned in this course. The learning curve is gradual so make sure you follow instructions and complete all the practice assignments in order. Definitely worth the time.

By SANTUNU N C

Aug 19, 2019

This course is very essentials for python beginner. Python coding, syntax, error detection, equation, etc i learn from this course and special thanks to my dear instructor and heartful thanks to the RICE University and Coursera. It will help us in the future career and help to learn Advanced level programming of python.

By Himal S

Jun 15, 2020

Actually this is a great course for a beginner who doesn't know about anything in programming to get an idea about what is programming and learn essential parts of the python programming language. I have to mention about one more thing about instructors, they provided a very good line by line guidance. Thank you all.

By Anjela M

Jan 8, 2020

I had tried many other online courses, but never continued and completed them. To my good surprise I was able to follow through this course and complete it. It's a good start for the beginners who get easily demotivated. Here I was able to get required help via templates, hints and forums to complete the assignment.

By FAYZATUL A B M

Mar 29, 2021

I never learned or experienced with python programming. But then, after joining this course it helps me a lot in understanding and implementing of python programming language in real world as a programmer. Thank you so much to Professor Joe Warren and Professor Scott Rixner in teaching me throughout the journey.

By Shelley S

May 6, 2020

This was a great course for beginners or, like me, coders with some experience in other languages. The course covers all the basics of Python3 syntax, data types, functions, a few standard modules, and some simple IDE and debugging tools. I enjoyed the practical examples and challenging exercise. Thanks!

By Victoria H

Apr 5, 2020

I always wanted to learn a new programming language and tried different approaches but could never stick to it for more than 2 days- but this course was really great! I learned so much in a quick time. The combination of videos, reading material and exercises is very good and motivating. Thank you!

By Dipan M

Mar 13, 2020

The instructors were amazing, their teaching methods was simplistic and easy to grip on.

Scott and Warren you guys are amazing!! I would definitely recommend this course to others.

And last but not the least thanks Coursera for providing me with financial aid and this informative course.!!