Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

DJ

Oct 20, 2017

Dr. Chuck has a special ability to teach programming to people who doesn't necessarily have programming background. This is rare among programming teachers, and shows that he is an excellent educator.

KG

Jan 26, 2016

A really simple and what is the most important a clear course.\n\nReally hope that next sessions are created in the same manner.\n\nWill highly recommend to anyone who decides to start studying Python

401 - 425 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Ella W

May 31, 2018

Honestly, this course is great for beginners. The instruction is explicit and clear and very structured. The textbook is very useful to understand the basics of programming language. I also like the assessment combining quizzes and hands-on exercise to get familiar with the coding process. Plus, the bonus part enhanced the connected learning and informal learning practice, and also increases the instructor presence. The pace is just right and the workload is perfect. Love this course!!

By Eleanor S

Feb 12, 2018

What a fantastic course! Every element is explained from the perspective of the way python processes the code, so you get a solid set of 'first principles' to work with.

The videos use excellent simple examples, which are then extended as the topics become more complex, so you get the sense of really building from the ground up. Chuck Severance is clearly a pedagogical master. How lucky we are to have access to his teaching from all over the world (Australia specifically, in my case)!

By Mike F

Jan 11, 2017

This is a fantastic course that takes people from a whole spectrum of experience, at their own pace, from introduction to computing and programming through to writing basic Python programmes. I believe that I could work with my 9 year old daughter to get through this course. If you have never programmed before, you will be amazed by what you will achieve on this course through the lectures, self study reading and community support. YOU CAN DO IT!! I'm enrolling for the next module!

By Apoorvah

Jul 05, 2020

As a consequence of lockdown, I wanted to learn the basics of coding and programming.

This is an amazing course, I understood everything from scratch and genuinely enjoyed doing it.

Not only that, but I can also practically apply this knowledge in financial analysis. I have a long way to go as a programmer but I surely love what I studied and can apply it to my work as well. The teaching style of the professor is also commendable. It seems personal even though these are video lectures

By WANG X

I love this course very much. Before I started this course, I thought Python was difficult to learn because I knew nothing about programming, but the teacher made it easy and interesting to understand. I am thankful for Professor Charles for his contribution to the course. This course totally inspires me and makes me want to explore more on python and programming. It's so awesome. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is a beginner of Python or programming to learn this course.

By Andres G

Apr 16, 2020

Getting started with Python is a friendly and well-structured way to start learning python language. I think this course is very helpful for people that have no notions in python or even in programming language. Maybe, I could give a biased review knowing my knowledge in computer programming since few years ago, But, still it was very good to refresh concepts and start learn another language. In addition, Pf. Severance has a really good pedagogy to give virtual courses. Recommended!

By Micheal A S

This course was nothing short of phenomenal. If you have not been in a classroom setting for a while, or if you have never committed to online education before, don't worry! This is absolutely the class for you if you are considering embarking on your journey of learning how to code Python. Good luck to all that attend this class. I would also like to thank the University of Michigan and Dr. Charles Russell Severance for an amazing experience and a quality education from this class.

By MD H H A

May 09, 2020

This is the first course I have taken in Coursera and I want to say only one thing about this course that "You don't have to know any programming language and you don't require any kinda skills to start this course even though you don't require any kinda knowledge in terms of this sector. You can start from zero levels which are going to lead you a not the infinity level but a level where you can know python, where you can be a programmer on python " SO just enroll the course.

By SHITAL P

May 12, 2020

Dr Chuck is amazing. I loved his teaching style. Before this also I tried programming but learning was never so easy and interesting. The course content is awesome. I am from mechanical background, did not have any programming background but still i never felt any difficulty while during assignments or understanding the lecture. The syllabus, Quiz and assignments are planned very well. Thank you Coursera and Dr Chuck. I would like to continue learning python with coursera/Dr.Chuck.

By Nitin A

Jun 10, 2020

This course helps a non programmer understand the basic ideas of programming using python. It is extremely easy and is probably the first step for anyone into programming. Apart from explaining the concepts in an easy to understand manner, the exercises also help confirm that understanding with an auto-grade feature. The course also has some really interesting Bonus chapters which gives you a background on how it all started as well as interviewing some really interesting techies!

By Jeff N

Feb 07, 2016

Outstanding Course for a newby. All about programming. Lectures and problems are clear and relate directly to the subject not related topics like statistics and other disciplines which add nothing to the Python and Python programming focus. Dr. Severance has built a great specialization here. Problems can be challenging but doable within the time frame represented by the course description (give or take a couple hours on some of the more challenging ones. I've learned alot! Thanks

By Paul S

Apr 25, 2020

Great course, got me excited about learning more. The instructor, Dr. Severance, is easy to follow, entertaining, and has a knack for explaining concepts simply. It can seem to be going a little slow but I think that's intentional to force the student to really absorb the concepts. More assignments would be helpful and some multi-unit assignments that help the student put several concepts together would be great. This feels like a topic that you only really get through practice.

By Barrie C

Apr 01, 2019

Excellent engaged and engaging instructor! Dr. Chuck is entertaining and informative at the same time, highly recommend. I've learned so much already--I had some prior programming experience so watched "Getting started" on 1.5x speed but still learned things I didn't know. He really starts from the beginning and fills in any gaps you may not realize you have even if you've already coded before, and gives a great foundation to anyone who doesn't have previous coding experience.

By 黄昱森

Jan 30, 2018

very interesting course by Dr.Chuck. It took me a week to master the basic of Python as I have experience in Java and C++. Still, I recommend this course to those who are new to computer programming. The course explains the core of computer programming language clearly and class assignments are all well designed. I especially enjoy the video of Dr.Chuck talking with all those successful developer in computer science industry. What they share in the video is genuine and inspiring.

By Amanda K

Oct 20, 2017

Fantastic course! Dr Chuck is great at explaining things simply and efficiently. His examples and way of seeing programming and computers really helped me to understand concepts. The exercises build on the lessons but don't always mirror them, which is a great way to learn. I found it easy at first, then by the last lesson slightly difficult - this is my first programming language and I am a complete neophyte. I really appreciated this course and look forward to the next one!

By Natawan P

May 07, 2016

I have tried a few basic programming courses before, but failed to go beyond the first lecture. I found them difficult to comprehend and felt discouraged to learn programming. But then, I came across this course and it got me excited to learn programming again. From the first lecture to the last, the instructor covers different important concepts in the way that anyone can understand. The book is also easy to read. I strongly recommend programming newbies to check this one out.

By Avani K V

The teaching pedagogy of Prof. Charles is awesome. He made his class so interactive via his delivery and communication skills, on an online platform was very impressive and very helpful, to carry on. Course content was equally good and Professor made us learn that very well. After attending this I am really interested to apply some course to be taught in Michigan under Prof. Charles, himself in near future. It was a great experience with lots of new learning.

Thanks a lot Sir.

By Kalpana H

May 16, 2020

Greetings to All Professors!!!!

It was really very useful for me. Prof. I am really thankful , because it was my first hand try in programming. I used to think like I will never understand the language of programming ever. but the way u explained (in a very easy and crisp form )was amazing. Hope u to contribute more good work in future.

Wishing you and your family a happy and health life ahead.......

With Regards....

Kalpana Hazarika, M-IEEE, Faculty-GCET, Greater Noida, India

By gary g

Jan 07, 2018

Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python). This is the first programming course I have done where right from the beginning I have been getting those feelings of "I get it". Normally I am thinking you do not necessarily have to understand all this, just remember it. I hope I can remember all this syntax. Obviously the equanimity and ken of the distinguished teacher has a lot to do with the level of . understanding. So thank you sir, I highly recommend this course

By Shai S

Jan 24, 2016

I joined this course to start learning Python. Although I know how to write code in other script languages (Not a full time programmer) I decided to start from the beginning so I won't miss syntax differences.

I'm really glad I did take this course because although the main subjects were familiar to me I learned a lot about how to approach Python and some of the syntax differences it has compared to other languages I know.

I'm now going to start the next course in this series!

By David M

Feb 15, 2020

Excellent introductory course to programming using Python. Basic programming constructs like control flow, definite/indefinite loops and exception handling are covered. The instructor does a good job of highlighting some common errors which beginning programmers may make. The course also includes some general info on how computers work.

Note that this is very much a beginner's course (as stated); somebody with any programming background will find this course highly trivial.

By Andrew S

Jan 18, 2018

It was a good initial course to review overall functions of python, I would have preferred a much more full time visual based course. Watching lectures might be helpful for some and they are in college, those of us whose learning is hindered by lecture and instead we love watching the teacher type as he teaches those are higher quality interactions for me mentally.

Thank you professor for having lots of well edited videos and hand stylus lectures.

This is very helpful for me.

By Bob W S B

Feb 15, 2017

Thank you Dr Chunk, it's a definite course for Everybody. Your ability to put complex knowledge in easy to understand manner is simply amazing. Learned a great deal from you. Complete all the first 3 parts, except not able to submit the quizzes and now half-way through the 4th: Using Databases with Python.

I have even get my teenage boy to enroll into this course and highly recommend it to my girl who is in the uni.

Thank you once again, greatly appreciated!

Bob 20170215-SGT

By Ezequiel K

Oct 30, 2015

A great course to get started with programming in general and with Python in particular.

As stated in the abstract, this course is addressed to those who have no experience in programming. However, even if you have some experience but are not familiar with Python (as it was my case), you can take this course quickly (speed x1.50) in order to learn the basic sintax of Python and catch up for the following courses in the specialization.

Really clear teacher. Highly recommended!

By Christopher R

Jul 24, 2016

I started taking a for-credit online course on Python through the UC Berkeley Extension, but found both that it didn't explain the basics, and that the actual content was sparse. I was very grateful to find this specialization, with the wonderful Charles Severance as the instructor! He's a very clear teacher, and charming besides.

I loved course #1 of the specialization, and look forward to course #2, which lines up with the UC Berkeley course. Let's learn Python, shall we?