Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

SA
Aug 22, 2020

It was an awesome course , the instructor was very good at explaining it in a (hogward) like way .It was fun, i feel like anyone who doesn't have prior knowledge on programming can learn it with ease.

SK
Dec 26, 2019

Extremely basic but Dr. Chuck is so interesting that you never get bored. You can pass the course in a few days with minimum or even no programming knowledge. It's a good starting point for beginners.

426 - 450 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Katarzyna S

Dec 6, 2015

This course is my first encouter with programming and I really enjoy it. The lecturer's way of explanation is very clear and simple. I did not expect to become so interested in it, however, learning Python turned out to be a fresh and great experience. Thanks to Dr Chuck it is real fun to learn Python. You can get through this course even if you think you are not very good at mathemathics (personal experience). I recommend this course to everybody who is interested in beginning their adventure with programming.

By Aakriti S

Aug 26, 2017

A great introduction to basic programming concepts and Python language. The instructor, Dr Chuck, is really good and explains the concepts in a manner easy to understand even for beginners. For me, personally, the bonus material was the most interesting with the expert interviews (look out for the talk with the inventor of Python). The short videos of other Coursera students meeting Dr Chuck helped me feel connected to the student community. Overall, a must-do course if you want to learn programming in Python.

By SOURAV S

Oct 30, 2019

This course is an excellent course for those who know a little bit of programming and also a very good course for those who are just starting to learn programming. The instructor of the course Sir Charles Severance has explained the concepts in a very easy way and the assignments and review questions makes them more clearer. I think that if anyone is looking for a course in Python from scratch he can go with this course and further with the specialization to get all the basic and advanced concepts of Python.

By Keith M

Dec 10, 2015

Wonderfully composed and paced course. Dr. Severance does a fantastic job of scaling technical descriptions from basic terminology up to the specific programming jargon. The assignments are well detailed, explained, and the technology in the course works well. The book is free and also a treat because it ties so nicely back into the course materials making is probably the best learning Python book available today based on what I've seen. Thank you for continuing to support this program. It is FANTASTIC.

By wivai

Dec 4, 2019

this course is wonderful! It includes so many details that usually a beginner won't notice or understand why can and why can't.This course has helped me to save the time for trial mistakes and taught me to keep a good coding behaviour.After each chapter,there is one or two coding assignments. Every time, I watch the explanation video and compare my codes in my assignment. While there are some codes I don't understand very well during the course video, I'll stop and try the codes.That makes me learned a lot.

By Suruchi F

Sep 30, 2015

Great Python Course for beginners. I wish we had Coursera when I was first learning programming. I am not new to programming but I still found the course very useful to get a head-start with Python language. All credits to Charles to keep the course interesting, informative and at the same time very simple to understand. I would highly recommend this course to anyone new to programming (any language) and Python beginners.

Kudos to Prof. Charles and Coursera community for an amazing experience!

Best,

Suruchi

By Antons S

Nov 23, 2020

I just want to suggest for Coursera about saving the notes in video. My suggestion is to save not next sentences what instructor said, but previous, becuase, obviously, you want to save what you just heard but not what you about to hear. Because you just simply dont know what you will hear, but when you just heard something you be like "Alright, I want to save this, this was important to me". Hope you understand. Otherwise - the course is perfect and Charles Russell Severance did fantastic job. Thank you!

By ELS

Nov 13, 2019

This is a great course. I've tried many and this is probably my favorite. I read another review about how people didn't like the first lesson of his course but I disagree full-heartedly. You cannot start coding without noting the context or at least, not be good at it. Its like the math component of coding; if you don't know certain calculus and discrete foundations, you will struggle with any type of advanced computer science foundations (AI, data science, etc). Great course, good teacher, all inclusive.

By Scott S

May 12, 2018

This is definitely a course for someone who is a total beginner to Python and to coding. It was a bit too simple for me (since I have been programming in other languages for many years). But I wanted a course that would take things slowly rather than teach all the syntax of Python in a week or 2, so I am doing the 5 course specialization. Loved the instructor--he is very good at explaining coding in basic terms. This course is perfect for someone who has never coded before and wants to learn from scratch.

By javad j

Dec 7, 2015

It was the best "getting started with python" that I've ever seen! I always like to learn anything slowly but deeply, and this course was a nice start to learn python.

Thank you Dr Severence.

...

And about coursera, I'm from Iran and I hope coursera will add my country to its countries name for whom that want a certificate...I do not understand its word: "learning for everybody" how can be possible when it neglects some people!

I liked everything about this course, but I do not like this about whole coursera.

By Liz T

Oct 9, 2017

This is the course I've been missing for the past few years as I tried to learn Python through other "Fundamentals" courses. Here Dr. Chuck really takes it slow and explains all the concepts. In other courses they might have 2 or 3 really basic lessons and then speed picked up to where I was lost. Not here. A couple of the assignments got a little challenging, but mentors gave hints to get me on the right path. Highly recommend for anyone new to programming or (like me) who never felt confident about it.

By Adham K

Apr 4, 2020

It is a well-explained course especially for beginners. If it is your first time learning to program you will not feel like you are struggling to understand anything. And if you have some experience with programming I assure you that you will never feel bored at any point in the course.Every week of the course Dr. Chuck will explain a chapter from the book "Python for Everybody: Exploring Data in python three". So, I recommend you to read the chapter after watching the videos and before taking the quiz.

By Jomar M J

Sep 6, 2020

This is the first MOOC I've completed since I started enrolling to various ones in 2013. Professor Severance is very easy to listen to and he makes the discussion easy to comprehend for total beginners like me. The course is not as rigorous as I expected it to be but it covered the basics of Python. This course is truly great for those who doesn't have a programming background that needs to have an appreciation of programming for their work. I will continue working on the specialization after this one.

By John M B

Feb 27, 2017

This was an excellent course. The title implies anyone (to include those with no prior programming knowledge) can do it. Thankfully, that proved to be true. I do consider myself tech savvy but I have never spent anytime learning a programming language until now. The book was nice to have, heck, even free for Kindle or downloadable PDF at the time I took the course. Dr. Chuck breaks down the book and makes it so simple and laid back... I look forward to the next part of his Python specialization!

By Jubayer h

May 5, 2020

I am very glad at this course. The teacher was very interesting and friendly. He teaches us in a friendly way,in the most effective way. And in future I want to learn more from coursera. I think we are blessed to get a platform like coursera. The beat part is , it is arranging many type of courses for us. And I was sponsored by my university (BUET). After all thanks my university for offering this type of course in free. I want to give thanks for the next courses that I am going to take from coursera.

By Ronald H

May 2, 2020

Love the course! thank you so much for your help. Some feedback would be to have something in the corners of code written saying true statement code or false statement code if the code is faulty. I take notes by taking pictures of the example and in reviewing them I had to go back to the video to remind myself some codes presented as an example were false and faulty. Other then that I had a blast and I was always happy to take a class due to how fun and well explained everything was. Thank you again!

By Chichi Z

Sep 10, 2019

I love this course and it deserves reviewing because the teaching content provided by Dr Charles is easy and quick to understand so that I could figure out how to apply those reserved words for assignments after one or two times studying. I think this course is worth the best praise and sets a good example for e-education courses. Thank you, Dr Charles, you managed to make lessons lively, active and methodical like a suspense film that always makes me desperately desire to know what is the next step.

By Ryan U

Apr 1, 2018

The course was excellent, I had done a small amount of programming on my own before this but never went over the computer science aspect so I'm glad we had a few intro videos lightly touching on that. (I also picked up a few additional things like try/except and the break/continue function) In the future i would like to see the answers given to the quizzes after each quiz is completed. Other then that the course was excellent and i will continue to take them. Prof. Severances videos were very helpful.

By Bryan V

Mar 22, 2018

This was the best programming course I've taken. I have taken a few programming courses before and never finish them. This one I actually finished and actually learned a lot from it. Dr. Severance is the best professor I have ever taken a class from. He really is very thorough in what he is teaching. He explains things multiple times in multiple different ways for you to understand exactly what he is talking about. You never feel lost while taking this class, everything is so engrained into your head.

By Ryan S C F

Aug 12, 2020

Took this course after a 20 year gap from first learning to program in college. It's a great refresher, easy to follow and explained very well by Prof Severance. One note, the course is an introduction to programming with a backdrop of Python, not an intro to Python and how it differs from other coding languages. That's probably obvious to many, but I realized this a little late. I guess I was initially searching for a more advanced course, but glad that I landed here to start on a firmer foundation.

By Abhijeet G

Nov 10, 2019

It has been an amazing journey so far with learning Python programming. I am enjoying this learning process a lot. Also, I would like to mentioned that Charles Severance has been teaching the subject in really an interactive way where he asks to pause the video to brainstorm on certain problem and then come back to the video where he explains the solution in a step by step way. Thanks Coursera and University of Michigan for giving me this opportunity to do this course and giving me the financial aid.

By Hariharan S

Sep 15, 2019

It was a fantastic learning experience. This is apparently my first online course on Coursera and what a way to start with Dr. Chuck's class. He was fantastic, always interesting and never boring/distracting even for a bit. The way he handled the lectures was definitely a testament to how experienced he is, in handling first-time programmers/learners of a new language/script. I am sure I would take a lot of courses in the future. Already looking forward to my next one, as I write this review. Cheers!

By Syed M A B A

Oct 12, 2020

This course was exceptional primarily because of the instructor Dr Charles whose teaching was in detail and he helps you pick up fundamental and difficult concepts quickly and easily. He for sure is a god gifted teacher. I will always be indebted to him for teaching me Python and this amazing course which helped me put my knowledge to test and helped me to learn efficiently and I really enjoyed the process! :))) I hope that we become the teachers of this and other programming language like him. :)

By Emma H S

Aug 11, 2020

This is a great course for beginners! I have a background in biology, but no prior programming experience. I have been interested in learning more about the intersection of these two fields, so this course was a great starting point. I cannot stress enough that this was a very high quality and well-designed course! The online lectures are very good and the professor is great at explaining concepts for beginners. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about this topic and completing the practice assignments.

By HARIKRISHNA J P

May 13, 2020

Absolutely amazing. I would not be surprised if people found that as an understatement. The instructor is enthusiastic and well versed in his field. He ensures that all the necessary details and knowledge required is given out to the students in the most professional and engaging manner. If you are new to programming , then look no further , for you have found the perfect place to start . I am so excited and cannot wait to progress further in this specialization course. My thanks to you Dr. Charles.