Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

YN

Oct 15, 2017

This course is organized and explained very well. It is moderately challenging, and I recommend it to get interested in Python. The teacher and the assistant staff are very good. I enjoyed the course.

DJ

Nov 05, 2018

I loved it! Dr. Chuck is extraordinary in his explanations. A great way to start on Python programming. As a person that hasn't programmed in years it was an encouraging and educational experience :-)

226 - 250 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Ivan S

Apr 26, 2018

It's really wonderful course! This course gives a good start in Python. I really recomend you to take it. I enjoyed it, it wasn't boring. Dr. Chuck did a great job and I really thankful for this. I recommend it to people who don't know how to start with programming. The way it was explained it's really easy to understanding. Even if your English not really good (like mine), you can try it. Once you completed this course, you will have an eager to complete a specialization. Anyway you shouldn't stop only on fundamentals of programming but keep going to make something more complex and interesting. Thanks a lot!

By Shichun Z (

Jul 18, 2018

I like the way Dr. Severance teaches programming. His teaching is straight forward and very mistake free when you apply what he teaches as he's already talked about the possible mistakes the learners may make. I was a software engineer 15 years ago, and now I would like to learn some new skills and this is the first official time I am back to the programming world. I am very grateful that the first course I started was Dr. Severance's class. Thanks to Coursera as well for putting such quality courses online. I plan to finish the 5-course python specialization and this first course boosts my confidence!

By Regina C

Jan 17, 2019

If you are a complete noob, this is the place to start. The course is very informative about the basics of Python that is put in a highly simplified manner. The instructor is entertaining and pleasant to listen to.

I wish there were more graded projects than what is required. The projects are brain teasers, can be tough until you have the "aha moment". Don't expect to ever be given the answer. You must figure it out on your own.

I do not like Coursera's video player, it does not have good controls. There is some clunkiness to the GUI, but overall a good experience. Will continue throughout the courses.

By Eoghan D

Jul 03, 2018

Having had little to no experience in coding (only a brief two week module using python in my second year of university) and online courses in general, I am so happy that I decided to sign up for this course. Charles Severance is a fantastic lecturer who does an excellent job of helping students to actually understand and apply the thought processes behind coding rather than simply memorising what others have done. The course is perfect for beginners with a slow pace that gives people time to digest what they have learned. I am now looking forward to taking part in more courses in this specialisation.

By Jose R

Dec 22, 2017

I took this course to learn the basics of python for my own personal use, and to develop these skills into data and file manipulation for future career use. I had a little HTML (like, very very little) experience and Visual Basic (.net) experience before taking this course. Having prior coding experience before, this course was very easy for my to get through. However, I am confident that even a non-techsavvy, no prior experience student would have no trouble getting through this course do to how well it was structured. I highly recommend this course to anyone looking into getting started with python.

By Meenakshi P

Jan 08, 2018

Excellent course, well taught. I don't have a computing background.

Weeks 1-4 felt easy, Week 5 I had to focus, and weeks 6&7 I was pausing a lot and trying to digest the material.

Next time this course is run it may be helpful to spread this material across 8 weeks, so that material in weeks 6 and 7 can be done over 3 weeks. instead of 2 weeks.

I would also like to see more exercises (even if not graded) in weeks 5 to 7. E.g. to try out the various new lessons/functions. Although, on relflection, there was nothing stopping a student trying this out in Atom or in the PY4E playground!

Many thanks.

By Lemboye A

Jun 01, 2019

Upon taking this course, I had zero knowledge of Python, Programming. I always wanted to learn but it always seemed complex.

Up stepped, Python for Everybody by the charismatic Dr Chuck Severance. It was different. The course is both easy to understand and very detailed. It is also quite compelling, meaning for someone like me with a relatively weak self-discipline, I did not have to conjure up this "amazing" will power to complete this course, it automatically drew me in like a magnet.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to any one looking to begin his journey in Python and Programming.

By Arslan A

Feb 01, 2019

Although the course 1 is just a beginner's start to the python programming language, but the way it is created will definitely inspire many students to start python programming language seriously and professionally. The worldwide office hours, meetings with other tech person and new technologies introduction etc all are created in a way that nobody can feel alone while taking this course and Its just the start, the other 4 courses in python specialization are must to enroll for professional start. Thank you Coursera, University of Michigan, HEC and Sir Charles Severance for such a amazing course.

By Khanh P T

Feb 26, 2016

Having struggled with Python for more than a year and tried different learning materials, I am so happy with the newbie-friendly teaching approach presented in this course. The first few lectures are very helpful as they demystify the conceptual challenges surrounding Python, programming and computers in general--effectively breaking down the psychological barrier common in many students new to programming. I like the textbook and the bonus videos very much, as they offer contextual information about Python and how people are using programming in the real world. I am a big fan of the professor!

By Jeffrey A

Jan 24, 2017

This was my first course to do with any type of computer programming I took. I had been interested in the past to learn python, learned some basic stuff but nothing like this. I know how a base understanding of what Python can do. The professor, Dr. Chuck was humorous which made the class fun, his lectures were on point and didn't give you too much information. The only negative, is I found myself getting stuck at assignments and having to look for help elsewhere to complete my programs. I hope with the more I continue to learn, I will be able to finish the assignments with my own knowledge.

By Berkeley B

Jan 07, 2016

I really enjoyed my time with this online experience. Though I managed to get thru most of the course without having to post a question, I did realize in the end how easy and responsive the course TA's are in follow up. And there is also the community of other students whom I was able to learn from in seeing their questions and answer sessions. You have no idea how important it was for me to be able to review the material in snippets in my day and then review it again and again so that I could comprehend the nuances of the lessons. Amazing, I wish I had this when I was in my undergrad days.

By Kumar A

Mar 17, 2020

The course was awesome, well-furnishing and compatible even for those who are are not aware of programming techniques though. In my opinion, if someone is going to start a journey over python then I'll recommend him/her to kindly pursue this course at least as a start, and I know they will love the respected instructor and his course content and his unique way of imparting knowledge as well.

The only thing I missed here was, they should add a bit more content, adding up some more concepts to the course so as to match-up with the necessities of a well-contented beginner level course on python.

By Fuze

Feb 20, 2020

Although this is not the first online course that i have ever taken, this must be the most interesting and the most progressive online course for me. I will move on to the subsequent courses. After taking this course, you will absolutely master how to install Python3, how to write .py files and how to run them. Furthermore, you will learn the mechanism of conditional statements, while loops, for loops, functions, etc. It may be a little confusing when you first started this course, but after countinuous learning, you will be interested and immerse yourself in it. This course is worth taking.

By Konstantinos N

Dec 24, 2016

Took the course as a first step in dealing with big data science.

The structure of the course is at all times comprehensible and it has a rather smooth narrative.

The course book is easy to understand, though at times it feels like it skips some steps.

The strongest point of the course is the instructor himself. Having thorough knowledge of the subject at hand, teaches in a funny and at the same time really productive manner. In short he teaches as an educator should teach.

To sum up, really good MOOC programme, gets you ahead in a few weeks time. Will definitely enroll for the second one.

By Tianran Y

Sep 03, 2016

Very well done course. It's very slow, so if you're looking for something akin to a full time college course, I would take this at either double or triple the pace the course recommends. It's geared towards people who have never developed or really looked at code at all, so if you have, you'll be ahead of the pack. Overall, I enjoyed the course a lot. It definitely covered things from many angles and went through things slow enough for me me to process everything. That said, I was also able to increase the speed of the videos and complete a few weeks in one when I had the time. Fun class

By Jeel P

Mar 07, 2020

The best thing about this course is the Instructor and the video quality, its easy pace, its content which goes from the following path ---> very very easy - very easy - little easy - easy - little intermediate, and it goes on... I mean that the instructor is very much student-friendly, not that kind of instructor that just come to the lecture-gets the beginner and intermediate topics mixed up, starts mugging up what he has to teach and just fades away with a piece of paper without any value in our hands(course certificate). Don't just read reviews get your a** off and start working.

By Scott F

Jul 10, 2016

This is a great class for someone who has no experience with Python at all. Dr. Chuck does an excellent job helping you understand the core concepts in a manner that is easy to learn. The lectures are interesting, easy to follow, and full of great material. The quizzes are simple enough but you do have to pay attention in order to get them correct. The assignments were a lot of fun and made you think of how best to incorporate everything you learned. This was a better experience than I have had in other courses I have been through. I am definitely taking the next class from Dr. Chuck!

By Shalender Y

Jul 16, 2017

The course is very good. when i started this course i am thinking it's going to be difficult , but relaxed when completed first week of the course. The main attraction of the course is it's arrangement in a sequence step by step form which makes understanding concepts easy.

Each video in the course doesn't tell only how to do program, but also clears the concept of the programs and why we are doing that program.

Really any person can learn python through these course even he has a programming background or not.

Overall course is so good and helps me in enhancing my programming skills.

By Chandrama S

Jan 31, 2016

I am a research student and working with Matlab Programming currently. Previously I did Masters in Geography and I had a very little experience in programming language as my entire course study was based on theory, statistical applications in geography.

Dr. Chuck's lectures really helped my out to learn coding from scratch and at the top of it I am now able to find out my loopholes while I do coding on Matlab background. Definitely I will take more courses from Coursera in future and when I have saved much, I will upgrade my course to get my completion certificates.

Cheers

Chandrama

By sreeram s

Jan 13, 2020

I really enjoyed learning this course. Though I am a beginner in programming, I was able to follow, comprehend and apply the contents taught in the course. The instructor stayed true to his vision in making it easy for everyone to learn programming through this course. Additionally taking it on coursera online platform helped me do it at my own pace, pause, take notes and really grasp the content. The assignments were appropriate and interesting.

I strongly recommend this course to newbies willing to take the plunge into programming. Python seemed lot more easy to learn and apply.

By Charles S

Sep 28, 2017

Dr. Severance kept everything very clear. I really appreciate that he has mastered the pace required to make sure you don't miss something, even when you think he could go faster. He has also mastered how to explain the translation from human thinking to computer code really well. I have found that other teachers have gone "native" with computer thinking and cannot explain it clearly. Clearly, this course makes you confident to continue on with the rest of the specialization. Note, if you have even a little coding experience, you can do this first course in a week quite easily.

By Mohd A N

May 09, 2020

I'm not new to programming, I'm not new to Python, but I took this course just to see the way Mr. Severace teaches. I loved him! I completed the whole course in literally less than 6 hours of binging and completing the assignments plus the bonus material. A 100% of it. It was almost a quick refresher for me.

If this is your first time into programming, this is the best place to start with. Mr. Charles Russell Severance is the fun way to start with. The content is to the point and deals straight to the point with added fun. No nasty tricks/shortcuts, just plain beginner content.

By Quanxiong Z

Apr 18, 2016

I've tried the Python course of Rice university, and some part of the Codecademy Python course! This is much more basic and offer a fundamental view about all programming language not only just python. Compared to the Rice University course, this one is more for a new beginner who hasn't done any coding before. The Rice course doesn't really need any coding exp, but with the projects get more complicated in the end, it would be much easier if you have somewhat coding exp before, at least in my opinion.

Anyway, I can't wait for all this specialization of University of Michigan!

By Nattawat B

Dec 26, 2018

Professor did really great job in trying to make every newcomer love programming. Professor have done a really great job explaining all the stuff in only a short period of time.

As a person who have already studied Python before, this course is really helpful and is a quick review for most material studied before. The assignment and quiz is quite easy.

My recommendation for improving this course is to teach python by using the python instead of powerpoint in slides. It will make everything much clearer and people who haven't learn python before can understand things easier.

By Carlos A

Feb 26, 2017

IMHO, Excellent introductory course. Well planned, enabling students to interact and take baby steps into this really powerful language. Smart, casual and yet precise lessons will help you to go through the initial necessary steps in the language, building a fundamental base where you will construct your python coding skills!. Loved it. Platform quizzes and assignments help you make progress and push you to review your notes and the book content, enabling you to feel comfortable with the speed of the lessons. Thanks to Chuck and the Teaching Staff of Python for Everybody!