Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

AW

Nov 20, 2015

Easy to follow and not boring. The instructor breaks things down in simple form. The Coursera platform is sometimes a bit quirky but otherwise the content in this course I thought was quite excellent.

AS

Sep 29, 2020

Very good introduction to basic programming. Very easy for beginners in python who have already some programming background - but still extremely useful to quickly and efficiently learn python basics.

451 - 475 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Aleksandra

Aug 07, 2016

A great introduction into fundamental concepts in Python. Dr. Chuck is a perfect teacher, funny, competent and engaging. You will watch the videos in no time! Also, the electronic version of the book is free and covers every problem you can possibly come across in this course. My recommendation: install Python on your computer immediately after enrolling and track the differences between Python 2 (course version) and Python 3. For example, instead of using "print x", you will use "print(x)".

By Ajayraj S

Jul 09, 2019

I'm very much thankful of Coursera and University of Michigan to let me opt this wonderful course. I highly recommend this course to each and every person wants to start learning programming. Because as python is best language to begin with, this course is best for begin learning python. Instructor Dr. Chuck ws the best mentor for me, he explains each and everything very nicely that everybody could understand. I'm so glad that I completed this course or had a chance to complete this course.

By Aniruddha C

May 26, 2018

This has to be one of the best beginner course of Python on the internet! The instructions given by Charles Severance were clear and concise. The videos never felt boring as each video prompted me to try different things in python to solve the problems shown in them. If given enough dedication and focus, one can complete this course within 2 weeks! I sincerely thank the Instructor, University of Michigan and Coursera for making it possible for foreign students to receive quality education.

By AASHISH K

Oct 09, 2020

This course is an excellent introduction to the Python programming language. Not only is this an introductory course, but it teaches you almost all the basics that will help you start with simple programming problems with Python. The instructor really understands the way how students should be introduced to new concepts of Python. I loved going through this course and learning Python. With all the practice assignments and quizzes, I felt very comfortable because I understood what I learnt.

By Nguyen T A T

Jul 12, 2020

Before entering this course, I was scared because I failed my python course last semester, because the teacher sucks, so I got insecure about enrolling. But Dr. Chuck inspired me a great deal since the beginning, and his teaching method is really the best I've seen in my life because I came from a developing country where teachers are ... disappointing and it's sad, I don't hate it I just feel sad about it. Overall, amazing course, though only basics, fantastic teacher! Thank you Coursera.

By Harsh V

Mar 31, 2020

The instructor is very enthusiastic and you will never get bored, teaching is very good, even if you are new to programming you will not stuck in this course. For me I have basic knowledge of python prior to this course and took this course for further courses ahed and to get Certificate, but i would say even I knew everything in this course I was not bored at all but yeah I skipped some parts in it. Overall I would say go for it, it's a good course for python and explanation is very good.

By Omkar D H

Feb 21, 2020

Very helpful, Learned all the fundamentals of python programming. totally satisfied with the course content and it also helped me extremely by clearing all my doubts, as well as course got a clear perspective, to how to use python is a practical point of view.

Also got historical knowledge about the evolution of python and about it's creators. thank you to prof. Severance

for everything

He is an great teacher and understands the way of delivering the knowledge to the beginners.

Keep it up.

By Dirk C

Mar 03, 2017

I loved every minute, thank you.

For me the fact that I could download the videos, watch them without Internet connectivity, complete the Quizzes and assignments on-line made this course stand out above others.

The content started from knowing nothing to more advanced at a slow pace in order for all to follow, this is great.

Paying monthly $49 made the specialization course affordable for me living in South Africa.

I thank you for the a great course, looking forward in completing the rest.

By RH

Nov 12, 2018

Very nicely designed starter for Python learners! I'm in finance and only got little programming background in Matlab and VBA, and this course helps me to know the basic structure of this programming language. Professor Chuck not only knows programming, but also knows how to teach the methodologies clearly to ordinary people. This Getting Started with Python gives me the confidence to deal with the future Python questions and I will continue with the next courses. Thank you, Dr. Chuck!

By Ella W

May 31, 2018

Honestly, this course is great for beginners. The instruction is explicit and clear and very structured. The textbook is very useful to understand the basics of programming language. I also like the assessment combining quizzes and hands-on exercise to get familiar with the coding process. Plus, the bonus part enhanced the connected learning and informal learning practice, and also increases the instructor presence. The pace is just right and the workload is perfect. Love this course!!

By Eleanor S

Feb 12, 2018

What a fantastic course! Every element is explained from the perspective of the way python processes the code, so you get a solid set of 'first principles' to work with.

The videos use excellent simple examples, which are then extended as the topics become more complex, so you get the sense of really building from the ground up. Chuck Severance is clearly a pedagogical master. How lucky we are to have access to his teaching from all over the world (Australia specifically, in my case)!

By Mike F

Jan 11, 2017

This is a fantastic course that takes people from a whole spectrum of experience, at their own pace, from introduction to computing and programming through to writing basic Python programmes. I believe that I could work with my 9 year old daughter to get through this course. If you have never programmed before, you will be amazed by what you will achieve on this course through the lectures, self study reading and community support. YOU CAN DO IT!! I'm enrolling for the next module!

By Apoorvah

Jul 05, 2020

As a consequence of lockdown, I wanted to learn the basics of coding and programming.

This is an amazing course, I understood everything from scratch and genuinely enjoyed doing it.

Not only that, but I can also practically apply this knowledge in financial analysis. I have a long way to go as a programmer but I surely love what I studied and can apply it to my work as well. The teaching style of the professor is also commendable. It seems personal even though these are video lectures

By WANG X

I love this course very much. Before I started this course, I thought Python was difficult to learn because I knew nothing about programming, but the teacher made it easy and interesting to understand. I am thankful for Professor Charles for his contribution to the course. This course totally inspires me and makes me want to explore more on python and programming. It's so awesome. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is a beginner of Python or programming to learn this course.

By Andres G

Apr 16, 2020

Getting started with Python is a friendly and well-structured way to start learning python language. I think this course is very helpful for people that have no notions in python or even in programming language. Maybe, I could give a biased review knowing my knowledge in computer programming since few years ago, But, still it was very good to refresh concepts and start learn another language. In addition, Pf. Severance has a really good pedagogy to give virtual courses. Recommended!

By Jean-Pierre F

Oct 18, 2020

That is a very nice and well structured course. It's very clear and simplified. I really liked it. I just have one point to clarify and it's that I couldn't see the goal of what I was learning, but once I began the second course and especially the 7th chapter I noticed that I can't be done otherwise and that is the basics we need to do useful exercises and tasks like the ones we are doing now.

Thank you very much Dr. Charles Russell and much appreciation to the University of Michigan

By Micheal A S

This course was nothing short of phenomenal. If you have not been in a classroom setting for a while, or if you have never committed to online education before, don't worry! This is absolutely the class for you if you are considering embarking on your journey of learning how to code Python. Good luck to all that attend this class. I would also like to thank the University of Michigan and Dr. Charles Russell Severance for an amazing experience and a quality education from this class.

By MD H H A

May 09, 2020

This is the first course I have taken in Coursera and I want to say only one thing about this course that "You don't have to know any programming language and you don't require any kinda skills to start this course even though you don't require any kinda knowledge in terms of this sector. You can start from zero levels which are going to lead you a not the infinity level but a level where you can know python, where you can be a programmer on python " SO just enroll the course.

By SHITAL P

May 12, 2020

Dr Chuck is amazing. I loved his teaching style. Before this also I tried programming but learning was never so easy and interesting. The course content is awesome. I am from mechanical background, did not have any programming background but still i never felt any difficulty while during assignments or understanding the lecture. The syllabus, Quiz and assignments are planned very well. Thank you Coursera and Dr Chuck. I would like to continue learning python with coursera/Dr.Chuck.

By Nitin A

Jun 10, 2020

This course helps a non programmer understand the basic ideas of programming using python. It is extremely easy and is probably the first step for anyone into programming. Apart from explaining the concepts in an easy to understand manner, the exercises also help confirm that understanding with an auto-grade feature. The course also has some really interesting Bonus chapters which gives you a background on how it all started as well as interviewing some really interesting techies!

By Jeff N

Feb 07, 2016

Outstanding Course for a newby. All about programming. Lectures and problems are clear and relate directly to the subject not related topics like statistics and other disciplines which add nothing to the Python and Python programming focus. Dr. Severance has built a great specialization here. Problems can be challenging but doable within the time frame represented by the course description (give or take a couple hours on some of the more challenging ones. I've learned alot! Thanks

By Jeryl Y S

Jul 22, 2020

4.5/5.0. Thank you for this! Charles is a great instructor, the explanations were great. I took another python introductory course prior to this and this really built on that foundation. Recommend this to anyone who wants to start their path into python. I'm personally taking the Python specialisation from UoM and I'm so excited to begin on the 2nd course! Would have given a full 5/5 if the course materials were provided to be downloaded so we could reference it whenever we want.

By Paul S

Apr 25, 2020

Great course, got me excited about learning more. The instructor, Dr. Severance, is easy to follow, entertaining, and has a knack for explaining concepts simply. It can seem to be going a little slow but I think that's intentional to force the student to really absorb the concepts. More assignments would be helpful and some multi-unit assignments that help the student put several concepts together would be great. This feels like a topic that you only really get through practice.

By Barrie C

Apr 01, 2019

Excellent engaged and engaging instructor! Dr. Chuck is entertaining and informative at the same time, highly recommend. I've learned so much already--I had some prior programming experience so watched "Getting started" on 1.5x speed but still learned things I didn't know. He really starts from the beginning and fills in any gaps you may not realize you have even if you've already coded before, and gives a great foundation to anyone who doesn't have previous coding experience.

By 黄昱森

Jan 30, 2018

very interesting course by Dr.Chuck. It took me a week to master the basic of Python as I have experience in Java and C++. Still, I recommend this course to those who are new to computer programming. The course explains the core of computer programming language clearly and class assignments are all well designed. I especially enjoy the video of Dr.Chuck talking with all those successful developer in computer science industry. What they share in the video is genuine and inspiring.