Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

HB
Oct 28, 2020

Very good introduction to basic programming. Very easy for beginners in python who have already some programming background - but still extremely useful to quickly and efficiently learn python basics.

TK
Nov 21, 2020

This course is very useful and the way Dr. Charles Severance teaches is outstanding. It's gonna be a perfect course for those who are looking for a programming course specially designed for beginners.

551 - 575 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Romit T

May 15, 2020

This course is really awesome! Hands down to Dr. Chuck for his way of teaching. The best Python course you could find anywhere. And I come from the background where I have spent a lot of time searching for a good course for getting my Python basics cleared. This course has helped me get them clear.

Starting the next courses in the Py4e specialization right away!

Big thanks to Coursera and the University of Michigan for providing such a wonderful course!!

By Sundari E

Mar 25, 2016

Dear Chuck,

Can I call you Chuck? Anyway Sir, you are AWESOME!! If I become a programmer in my life, you'll be the only reason for it. You simply are great. I wish I had more teachers like you. I also wish I could meet you and tell you in person, that you are the personification of pure awesomness.

Yours truly,

A student who absolutely loves you and is eternally grateful to you from the other part of the world :)

Keep being awesome!!

By Jerin P J

Apr 20, 2020

This is the perfect course for anyone who wants to learn python. It not only teaches you the basics of python but also helps you very much in understanding the basics of programming.The instructor is a person of great knowledge and wisdom.The lecture videos are very interesting and helpful.The Coursera platform is also excellent. I truly recommend this course to anyone who wishes to learn python.Thank you Coursera and special thanks to the instructor

By Sebastian C

Jan 17, 2017

This is a great course for those with no programming experience, especially since it involves python. I recommend to anyone with no experience that they start with python because the syntax is easy to learn and it is as close to psuedo-code used to develop algorithms as it comes. Although I have years of experience with python in my undergraduate and graduate research, I respect the teaching quality and attention to detail used throughout this course.

By Harsh V

Sep 14, 2020

Is very good course for those who is start programming by choosing python as their first language and it might be a little boring for those guys who has a good programming knowledge but I think it is the best course which I have completed online and it is best because they have provided a lots of pre-prepared contents like PPTs, book, programs,.etc. which might be very good for people like me- who make notes or who like to go through lots of content.

By Aakanksha P R

Jun 20, 2020

This course is the best way to start your programming journey. It not only provides you a systematic and an easy way to understand the Python programming language, all thanks to Professor Charles Severance's interactive and friendly approach which not benefits specially the beginner level programmers but also helps you retain the knowledge with the help of practically performing the assignments and answering quizzes. This course is truly motivating!

By Ed D

Nov 21, 2016

This has been one of the best educational experience I have had and I have had some, Ph.D., MBA. The best part about this course is that it is impeccably organized and possess timely help to students in need of assistance. This course should be used as the “gold standard” for teaching, whether online or in the classroom. I send my congratulations to all that have been and are now involved with overseeing the success of this wonderful achievement.

By Andrés E M

Dec 23, 2015

It is the first course I have successfully completed on Coursera. I had a vague background in programming from my undergraduate studies in Engineering, but I have always wanted to learn more. I have found this Course to be the right place so far. I think it’s oriented to anybody who wants to learn to program in general with no specific background and that definitely has been ideal for me. I am continuing with the next course, let’s see how it goes...

By Vipin N

Jun 12, 2020

Great Course would recommend to everyone...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thank You.

By Ashley S

Jun 7, 2020

I found the instructor to be very informative, having no background in coding myself he made it easy and fun to learn the topics for the course. The only frustrating thing about the class was that the auto grader for assignments would not always recognize when requirements for an assignment had been met. So, even though the code was correct and I got the desired output I would sometimes have to try it in a multitude of ways to get my grade to store.

By Natalia I

Jan 16, 2018

Great book, fun course. I mainly read chapters of a book instead of watching videos, then did tests and exercises. However, slides were very useful for refreshing before starting a new chapter or just to have a look at key points summarized. I am very thankful to the authors, who made learning my first programming language non-frustrating. I really got addicted to it. I admire the comparison of Python to a dog who doesn't understand what you want fr

By Michael H

May 1, 2017

Amazing intro to programming class. I'm consulting with a tech startup and wanted to have better conversations with my developers. This is a great class to learn the "theory" of programming. I started taking an HTML, CSS and Javs Script class about half way through (chapter 4), because I need some piratical application. However, this course gave me the foundation. It's good to get error msgs!!! Looking forward to taking the rest of the series!

By Bogdan B

Nov 3, 2016

Outstanding introduction to Python programming language that will lay strong foundation to the more advanced topics about Python. The teaching style is superb and the things you learn stick in the long term memory really quickly. You need, however, to put additional effort on your side in order to truly "get" what's going on and learn and program as much as you can, as doing is really learning. Excellent, excellent course, teacher and the community.

By Tanu S

Sep 28, 2020

This is the best course ever, I have never enjoyed any course this much. I would like to thank Dr. Chuck for putting so much efforts to make students learn at their best. Everything about this course is so perfect , the assessments, the quiz which helps to brush up your skill. I have never been to complete any course yet, this was the first one, again Amazing content , and the most amazing instructor. Thankyou coursera, for bringing up this course.

By Sneh S

Apr 9, 2020

his is a well-designed, well-taught course to learn about basics of python and control flow.Apart form engaging teaching and amazing content, I loved the Bonus videos(they were really insightful, made me surprised and motivated at the same time, to learn python and programming) and Dr. Chuck's goal behind teaching this course is really inspiring. It also gives a glimpse of how programs work under the

hood on the hardware viz. memory, CPU etc.

By Jack M

Jan 14, 2020

Excellent Course! This course really gives someone the foundation of python coding and gives yourself early confidence in learning this skill to continue to take on new challenges in working towards being an expert. You will not come away with building any major project from this class, but it will definitely give you the foundation in getting to build that next level of this skill. If you are an aggressive learner you can complete within 2 weeks.

By Desika G

May 7, 2020

As the course says, programming here is for everybody! Even a person with zero programming knowledge can easily crack this up. It is a very user friendly learning tool. One can easily finish the course with so much flexibility and adaptiveness. The course is really qualitative and suits a developing programmer who's needs are simple. I am completely satisfied with the course as it met my goal which was to learn the first step of coding in python.

By Kush S

Apr 27, 2019

This is the perfect course for someone who is a beginner. I understood the logic and made it simple to remember how to program. The instructor and lessons are understandable and fun to learn and I can say I actually learned how to program. I came from zero python knowledge and was very pleased with what I acquired over this course. Additionally, the professor is very personable and about the course material and the delivery method. Thank you

By Hèlen G

Jan 22, 2016

Rating 5 stars for teaching style. When you are largely unfamiliar with programming it is important to not skip silly steps in explanation that might seem obvious. The information was very compact with made it easily digestible and encouraging to continue to the next level. The exercises increased nicely in complexity without sudden jumps in knowledge so that it would not give the impression that you are stuck forever in the pit hole of doom ;-)

By 慈曦

Sep 9, 2016

This course is just amazing.

It help me start learning Python and also help to improve my English.

The professor is excellent and also very funny,i like him.

Course material is the reason that i choose the course.This course has a chinese subtitle,and also has a PDF version of the book(which also has translated into chinese),it's so good.

I will take the following course as well,and i think it will also help me a lot.

I'm looking forword to it.

By Michael W

Jun 29, 2020

Easy to understand and follow along. Having the lecture's typed out helped a lot with taking notes and going back over information that was mentioned and if something was mentioned quickly but you did not quite catch. Allowed to take your time and give your the resource to understand the material. Great instructor that clearly explained the material as well as gave easy examples for first time programmers to better understand what is going on.

By Esmerelda M B D M

Jun 25, 2020

This is an excellent course for a beginner with no coding background like myself. After contemplating on which course to start on learning programming, I am so glad I took this one. This course built up my confidence in taking the challenge to learn something totally new! Lectures were engaging, study materials were adequate, reading the free online book before watching lecture videos really helped too. Thank you Prof. Chuck, you are awesome!

By kazuki m

Mar 8, 2018

I'm Japanese.This is my second online lecture and I enjoyed it. For people who has some programming experience in other programming language like me, maybe this lecture seems a little boring and prolix.But if you hadn't write python,you want to study python,you don't want to overlook fundamental python syntax and you need experience of lecture by English teacher without your mother language subscript,this lecture will be good for your future.

By Md M R

Dec 4, 2015

Hello There! I am a PHP web application developer and I am highly interested to make myself a good programmer. Recently I am to learn OpenERP Software which is created using Python. I found this course very useful to enrich my skill in programming concept and learning Python. I am very happy to find this course via one of my friends. I am so excited. This is really a great opportunity to learn. Thanks much for your effort dear management! :-)

By Wahab M

Jun 6, 2020

Dr. Chuck certainly has made a difference for me. His approach to teaching this class was natural, didn't even feel like an on-line course, and he certainly knows how to break the subject down into manageable bits. The quiz you get after a chapter is neither too simple nor too hard to grasp, just the right level of complexity to stimulate your thinking and thought process. Very well made, and I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested.