Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

NU

Very good introduction to basic programming. Very easy for beginners in python who have already some programming background - but still extremely useful to quickly and efficiently learn python basics.

KK
Jun 26, 2020

Great introduction to Python and programming as a whole. Everything is broken down making it easy to understand. Had zero programming experience before and this class made it easy and fun to get into.

51 - 75 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Syed A A

Aug 23, 2020

It was an awesome course , the instructor was very good at explaining it in a (hogward) like way .It was fun, i feel like anyone who doesn't have prior knowledge on programming can learn it with ease.

By Nimit R

Aug 19, 2018

Very well explained the concepts of programming in the context of Python and that too with good fun. Love you Chuck

By Luca

Mar 7, 2018

The course states it is meant to be for everybody but the frequent mention of error messages and how they are not meant to judge the student makes me thing it is meant for teenagers or a generally young audience.

Some concepts are introduced very quickly and without the proper background. The exercises are mostly on the easy side and they do not build on each other (example: functions are introduced in a class but not used in the following exercises). This ends giving the impression that the course is not well structured and does not try to make the student find synergies between concepts.

While this can work somehow for most of the course, the last week sees the introduction of some very advanced concepts (None and IS) which are just barely touched, leaving the student to have to search for information outside of the course. This is made worse by the overtly restrictive requirements of the assignments that use the autograder. The autograder does not let you explore potential pitfalls in your code, which are much better clarified by using the debugger (not introduced) or the python online visualizer (not introduced). I strongly advise to introduce one of these two tools in the course.

By Leonard W

Aug 18, 2020

If I were to compare the quality of this class to something I would say that this class is like a Chess class that spends 30 minutes explaining how pawns work and then asks you to move Knight to C3. "Wait, what piece is the Knight? How does the Knight move again? What's C3? Help!" That's basically what you will get out of this course.

This class is not a good choice for someone starting from the ground up. It's no so much that it doesn't cover entry-level concepts, rather it fails to elaborate on these concepts. The feedback from the quizzes doesn't point you in the direction where you can learn from your mistakes.

Likewise the assignments are often two steps ahead of the video, meaning that when error messages pop up in the auto-grader there is no way to figure out where you can learn what you did wrong. the videos will cover steps a, b, and c but the assignments expect you to know steps d, e, and f. This leaves students to discuss the answers in the forums or on other sites which I understand is frowned upon. However for "green as grass" students this is the only way to get anything done. And when students try to explain how the code actually works to each other their threads get locked down, only cryptic and vague responses to issues will remain. That is abysmal.

When I seem to get more help from other students in the comments than from the moderators in the forum, that is an issue. And lets talk about the moderator, there is only one. One for how many students? One for how many questions? Even if there was just 5 more people answering in the forums it would greatly improve the quality of this class. And those moderators should do more than just refer students back to the book which often provides insufficient information to tackle a problem.

This class needs to be reviewed extensively. I wouldn't recommend this course to anyone fresh that wants to try to learn code.

By ADITYA K D o E

Jul 15, 2020

i feel this isn't a course for beginners it should be for intermediates as i found the exercises very hard and moreover the instructor teaches basic stuff and the graded assignments are tough before some assignments he doesn't even discusses those type of problems. All i'm saying is anybody taking this course as a beginner without any prior knowledge in programming ,he/she would be discouraged.

By Stephen Z

Dec 20, 2015

This course has been dumbed down so much that no moderately intelligent person should be subjected to it. Coursera really needs to rethink its approach to teaching. I can only express my sympathy for those were seduced into actually paying for this course.

By Tony F

Mar 22, 2019

This class served as not only my introduction to Python, but to programming in general. For whatever reason, programming can seem like a daunting task to people, including me. However, Professor Severance had a casual, yet confident attitude that made each week feel like an approachable game that happens to be very useful. I didn't expect to have a great time watching the lectures, but I did. Obviously, I'm not very advanced yet with programming, but it seemed to me Professor Severance was great at anticipating faulty habits or inclinations and nipping those in the bud for us beginners. He has well-constructed examples to explain his points without making them overly complex. In short, I think the title of the course is apt; it does a good job at making Python understood by everybody who is interested to learn. Thanks for the solid foundation!

By Samin Y H

Apr 19, 2020

I just loved the instructor!!!

I loved the way he teaches, he taught some deep topics very easily. It was very simplified and examples were so relatable and the way he made me understand the codes, I just started to fall in love with programming !

After this course, I am not only clear with the algorithms and control flow but also I have learned many techniques to easily code.

I have got a free book, with this course, which is the easiest programming book I have ever read!!!

I tried to code by my self after learning a topic, I gave myself some problems and solved by myself which gave me confidence.

In this course I have learned about basic programming, overview of python, hardware and software relations,hardwere overview,variables,conditionals,function,user defined function,loop and control statement and so on.

By Sartaj J C

Apr 2, 2020

Well Python, though was the first programming language that I ever picked up to learn when I was in my high school, I didn't continue coding in python(regretfully) after finishing cover to cover two books 1) Head First Python by O'Reilly Publications ; 2) How to think like a computer scientist: using python. After a long break I started learning Java when I started studying Computer Science at university and after coding in Java for almost two years and learning a lot of data structures and algorithms and implementing them using Java, I totally forgot how to write Python codes so this was a very good quick, informative and adequate revision. I feel like a Pythonista already. Going to continue the second part of this course too. Thank you !!

By Lisa S

Mar 6, 2020

Excellent starting point course. Very easy to follow and understand. Terrific instructor who explains things well, is never dull and is easy to listen to. The "office hours" videos seemed a little unnecessary. I'm not sure what the point of those was. I found this course quite easy, probably because I have a B. Sc. in Computer Science, although that was a while ago. I really liked learning how to install and use Atom (Atom Nightly for Mac was the one that worked... search for Apple support note about that -- regular Atom will not download), Python and Terminal, none of which I was familiar with before. Great job! I will take more courses in this specialization for sure !

By Michelle B

Oct 19, 2020

Dr. Charles was a really great professor! He is sooo good at teaching. Truly remarkable! I'm an aspiring programmer and have a very little knowledge in programming, but I learned a lot from this course. His material are easy to understand and he knows the topic in depth. He presents it in a clear, plain language that's technical.

In terms of accessibility: The lectures have subtitles and interactive transcripts in the feature. The audio is clear and doesn't have any noise background. Great job!

I totally recommended this course to those who want to learn python with no programming experience and technical background. Very thoroughly discussed at your own pace.

By Sohel S

Apr 8, 2020

This course is really simple and does what it says. It gets you started with Python and basic programming. If you are not introduced to Python at all and would like to learn, this should be your go-to option. The instructor is really knowledgeable and really fun at the same time. I would like to advise on completing the next course "Python: Data Structures" as well to get acquainted with lists, dictionaries, tuples, etc. and programs utilizing these concepts. This would really round up the introductory concepts in Python.

By Wilson W

Apr 6, 2020

This course is hands down my favourite programming course (And I've taken a lot of programming courses).

Dr. Chuck (the instructor) teaches so well. He makes the class fun and even tells stories during lessons. He also tries to be as friendly as possible. That makes the learning experience so much better.

The concepts are clear and they're explained properly too. And the assignments in the middle make sure that you really pay attention to the course.

If you are looking for a course to start learning Python, this is the one.

By Derek R

Mar 26, 2020

This course is fantastic! I always looked at coding as some dark magic that I would never understand. Now, after this course, I want to continue mastering this skill set and understand how else I can use to to manipulate, interpret, and display data. The instructor is wonderful, and I am now actively looking for his other courses to take next. My only suggestion is for some of the exercises to be displayed via Windows and not just Mac, but that's an extremely minor issue. I highly recommend this instructor. Great course.

By Ngoc N

Apr 12, 2018

Great lectures, great text book.

I really liked the professor - in his videos he progresses fast enough that you don't get bored, but slow enough that you can understand the material. I generally dislike watching instructional videos because I'd rather read the instructions and do it at my own pace, which is usually faster than the video's pace, but I didn't mind watching these. I also liked the fact that he had a textbook that you can use as reference so that you don't have to re-watch the videos over and over again.

By Miki S

Sep 18, 2017

I started this course with zero knowledge of programming: 20 years ago, I have learned basic HTML, that's all. I am not a computer or technology person at all. However, Dr. Chuck's teach method made me feel like the contents are simple. In the latter half of the course, I struggled to do assignment of making a code. Because I need to use more function, and my brain hadn't fully understood how to use those functions. I reviewed my note many times and finished assignments. Thank you for your excellent lecture, Dr. Chuck!!

By Amit K

Sep 19, 2019

This was my first ever course online and I am happy to say that I had a satisfying experience. The great thing about this course is that not only the instructor is dedicated and really puts his heart into teaching the material; all the necessary steps are taken to ensure the student's success; that the student can really complete the course without getting demotivated. I highly recommend this course to the beginner programmers, who have never written any code and want to learn to code in an fun yet challenging manner.

By Mrinal V

Mar 11, 2018

Out of all the courses that I have taken on Coursera, this one left me with a smile on the face as I worked through the content week by week. Professor Chuck has a humorous and engaging style of teaching. The bonus materials are absolutely a charm, I loved seeing so many students as they meet and greet with professor and share their experiences. The exercises are a great way of beginning in programming and are very relevant to the material being taught. I am eager to take more courses from this specialization.

By Xiaojun L

Nov 2, 2020

I finished this course in a few days instead of a month. This is a great course for the debutants as me. It is easy to understand, and doctor Chuck's sense of humors makes it fun to learn. I can do simple code now thanks to the course. Every time I accomplished the assignment, I just felt so happy about it even tho it took me time to figure out the right code. In a word, I'm satisfied with this course and I would totally recommend it to those who want to debut their journey of Python:)

By Nkem I

Oct 31, 2020

Dr. Chuck is a gifted teacher and professor, some might consider what I have been able to achieve with this course not a big deal and they would be wrong. The joy that comes with being able to solve a problem statement by breaking it down into small chunks and thinking out the logic of the steps is immeasurable. I set out my mind to learn how to program for the third time and I am confident I will be able to tackle what comes next. Thank you Dr. Chuck, Thank you Coursera.

By Liu W

Oct 16, 2019

Incredible course!!! 1. Python is so complicated but the course is simple (maybe just at the beginning, for people like me with thin mathematics foundation and no knowledge of programming at all!) 2. The logic of the course is very clear and simple to understand 3. The arrangement is not so tight, therefore is friendly to people who have full-time job like me! 4. Coursera is incredible!!! See you in the next course!

By Shoham E

Oct 30, 2020

Even though I have never met Mr. Severance I must say that he is one of the best teachers that I have ever been taught by ! an excellent teacher who is calm, assuring and confident-inspiring for new programmers ! The course covered the very basics of the Python language in a great way, and I'm very confident in my abilities to continue the specialization with the tools that I have acquired from this course.

By Powsali G

May 15, 2020

This is an amazing course. I used to be so scared to computer programming. But I enjoyed this course so much that I actually enjoyed doing the assignments. I completed the course in just 9 days which is awesome. This just proves that if the professor is engaging, students will love learning. I am very very greatful to the instructor. This has been a wonderful experience.

By Ridwan O B

I cannot describe my joy at achieving this feat. It was an interesting and fulfilling experience. Although, a complete beginner, I was able to comprehend the lessons owing to the simple language used by the instructor. Thank you so much, Professor Charles. I sometimes had tough times, but it was worth it. I won't relent at this level, I will continue to soar higher.

By GEORGIOS P

Sep 6, 2020

A very interesting and useful online course for begginers. I think it's a great opportunity for everyone to spend some time with this course, as you can learn the basics about Python programming and more. Thanks Charles Severance for this amazing online course!

I'm looking forward to attend the next courses of this specialization!