Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

YN

Oct 15, 2017

This course is organized and explained very well. It is moderately challenging, and I recommend it to get interested in Python. The teacher and the assistant staff are very good. I enjoyed the course.

DJ

Nov 05, 2018

I loved it! Dr. Chuck is extraordinary in his explanations. A great way to start on Python programming. As a person that hasn't programmed in years it was an encouraging and educational experience :-)

151 - 175 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Roger B

Dec 01, 2017

I just wrote something about the course allowing the student to access a few various coding exercises (that act, look and feel like the real practice graded exercise) that could appear before each of the chapter graded test exercises. I know that it would require more content, but it would loosen the student up just to have some super simple practice exercises for each chapter that aren't graded so the student could just to get used to typing variances of code (mostly all the nuances of syntax) and allow them to repeat the same code layout in a non-judgmental way just to see if other variances of similar code could produce a very similar outcome. I don't know if this makes sense... I guess in a nut shell, just letting the student goof off more and try coding the chapter exercises in different ways??? :)

By Shawn T R

Jul 13, 2018

Full disclosure, I blew through this in a couple of hours so this is not the perspective of a true beginner. However, that being said I think it's a great introductory course for someone who is a beginning programmer. The instructor puts programming terms and ideas in very relatable and visual language, which is extremely helpful. It's very easy to get abstract and esoteric with programming concepts, so the fact that he keeps it grounded is great. I'll also say that the instructor has a laid back and friendly style that makes the subject seem less intimidating. He's funny and occasionally goofy and I think technical subjects need that kind of approach when they're geared towards beginners. I'm going to continue this course series to shore up my fundamentals and I'm very excited to see how it evolves.

By PRANSHU P

Oct 24, 2018

This course is very helpful. I have enjoyed this whole journey of learning. I would like to thank Foundation For Excellence and Coursera for giving me this much needed opportunity. I also thank University of Michigan for it's outstanding course material, lectures and videos. I also appreciate teaching methods of my guide, Charles Severance. He truly put all the herculean efforts in creating 'Python for Everybody'. Thank you so much all of you. You all helped me a lot to build my career in a proper way. I just want to request you that it will be very kind of you if you can allow us to access this material whenever we want, even after the completion of the whole course as it will help us to revise all the matter just before the placement session beginning. This is my only request to you.

By Gaurav B

Mar 08, 2018

I have completed the course and I found it great. I do think it is a bit slow if you have programming experience in other languages. The instructor Charles Severance explains the important concepts with emphasis and that helps build in ones brain a highlight of things to do or not do. Also the bonus videos are great to either get a backstory on python or the tech world in general. Overall this is a great course.Just for fun: If anyone from the construction of this class is reviewing this comment - I do think the macarena example has not 3 but 4 mistakes. 3 syntactical mistake but 1 mistake is in the steps itself where the left hand is on the right shoulder then the right hand is on the left shoulder. The next step where the left hand goes to the back of the head cannot be performed.

By J A M

Dec 21, 2015

Dr. Chuck is da man! Awesome class. Dr. Chuck touched upon all the nuances of basic Python that most students are too embarrassed to ask about but which are nevertheless mission-critical to effective programming. This capacity to address unspoken concerns both in presentations and assignments is one of the secrets of a good MOOC professor since students can't ask questions.

This class is especially useful for those students who just completed codecademy.com's Python class since it explicitly addresses several issues that weren't addressed there. Finally, no one can rival Dr. Chuck's ability to access celebrity programmers whose presence adds an important dimension of context and helps students feel like they already belong to the international community of coders. Job well done.

By Zhizhong D

Nov 19, 2018

This course is very basic, teaching you fundamental sequential, conditional, and looping expressions of Python. The materials are assembled and arranged very nicely. If you are curious how this course translate to the undergraduate course that can be taken in some best Universities, well this course is roughly like 1/4 of the materials that is covered in an undergraduate Python course. The whole series of five courses here on Coursera probably count towards one undergraduate course in a prestigious school such as Carnegie Mellon University. Though this course is very good, explaining the basic materials very well, this course alone cannot make you a real Python programmer. You probably need to register the whole specialization to have a entry level feel of a Python programmer

By Omar S B

Aug 31, 2016

Whatever level you are at programming, you will learn something new with this course because of the amazing teaching style provided by Dr. Chuck. Takes a seemingly complex subject and makes it incredibly simple and comprehensible to everyone! LOVE LOVE LOVE this course and any course taught by Dr. Chuck. This is part of an entire specialization. The only thing that is really lacking is an in-depth discussion of OOP. He briefly touches on it so that you know to go and look at it on your own time, but I wish he touched on it a little more. Nonetheless, 5/5 on this course. Thanks Dr. Chuck and supporting staff that make this course worth taking. The forum is still ACTIVE and if you run into problems a TA will be there to help you out! Critically to anyone's style of learning.

By 陈诗哲

Mar 11, 2020

Thank you for Dr. Charles! it's the first time in my life to really finish an online course delivered in English and it's extraordinary that the way it delivers can be so simple and systematical. Homework can really inspire me to review what I've been learning. By the way, English skills get improved.

I really appreciate many comforting word set at the very beginning. When you see "Syntax error", it doesn't mean you are not suitable for programming language or you are a bad guy. It simply means Python can't understand your language. on the way to learn, finding something wrong is just because Python is not smart enough, you have to find more accurate words to communicate better. That must be great help for a beginner like me. Many Thanks! Fresh Pythonista, Shizhe Chen.

By Carlos E P V

May 09, 2017

The course has very nice tools to help you check your code. Although I had a bad time installing python at first, eventually I could made it run both on windows 10 and mac os Sierra. I highly appreciate Dr. Chuck´s humor, not only is highly unusual to joke so much in a class, but needed for something as black&white as a programming class can be. I do have one HUGE advice for the course, do the little problems in the video. Each video has several structures and ways of doing things, do them each, and squeeze them. You will need it to fully understand more complex problems. I wish the course would do a lot more short reviews, instead of a general review after each video. Continuing evaluation is critical to get more feedback and improve significantly. Best of Luck !

By Limin ( L

Sep 25, 2015

Dr. Chuck is the most encouraging and entertaining teacher I have ever met!!! He really makes learning about computer and programming easy and fun! And he makes a great Prof. Snape impersonation! :-)

Most importantly, Dr. Chuck intentionally included many mistakes in his teaching materials. As a self-taught programmer who has struggled on one's own, I believe this is the most valuable part of the lectures. The students get to understand from the very beginning how to read error messages and tracebacks, how to debug, how not to be intimidated by mistakes and failures, and how to become a confident programmer. This should be THE teaching model for programming in any language!

Thank you, Dr. Chuck! And I look forward to learning more from you in our follow-up courses!

By Ramesh M

Jun 28, 2019

This is an excellent beginner's course. The teacher Charles Severance is amazing. This was my first MOOC and I am glad it was this one. I had self-taught myself a bit of programming earlier so none of the material came as a complete surprise, but I am sure even beginners can follow everything very easily. I plan to complete the entire specialisation based on my experience with this course. The only gripe I have is that because I was auditing the course I could not see all the assignments. I can understand not getting graded or provided a certificate if I am not paying for it, but at least I should be able to see the assignments and solve it on my own. Right now I can only see the quizzes but not the programming assignments. Highly recommended course!

By TEO

Aug 18, 2018

Wonderful coursera course by Prof Charles Severance (a.k.a. Dr Chuck). He speaks clearly, explains well, draws well, and is very witty too ! ( Wearing a soft-felt floppy hat to emphasis quirky Python syntax). Altogether Dr Chuck is a very engaging and instructor who makes learning fun. His assignments are also well-designed, especially those in the Auto-Grader (full of trick questions which I had to keep trying before I hit on the right answers when I saw through the "tricks" which made me chuckle) I am very happy that Dr Chuck is my instructor for my first coursera course which rekindles my joy in learning. I will continue learning programme online, because my first online programming course is very well-taught by Dr Chuck. Thank you very much, Dr Chuck !

By Ondrej P

Apr 11, 2020

Great for beginners. I had no experience with programming at all before I started this course. The lector is amazing. Make it understandable even for non-native speakers.

The graded assignment are sometimes big challenge. I spent sometimes 2 hours to get them done (I made stupid mistakes in the code). The Teacher would have it done in 5 minutes for sure. What I like is they push you to thing by yourself and solve all the problems by yourself ( you can use of course the video lecture ). I hate it on the beginning, that there is no tutorial (step by step) for every assignment. But in the end I'm really grateful for this and kind of proud on me. It gave me motivation and enthusiasm to next classes.

Thank you University of Michigan and Coursera for this Course.

By LiuShu

Apr 12, 2020

I am totally fulfilled by learning the course of Python, programming for everybody. It brings me a brand new world and aids me to concentrate myself on the basic programming knowledge. The programming skills that I learned from this course , the relevant reading materials and bonus videos are quite intriguing and these are an efficient way to link individuals with the outside world. Moreover, the study atmospheres and the teaching settings are pretty scientific and rigid which can help to promote my efficiency on getting started with Python. I would like to express my gratitude for Doctor Charles, for his dedication, we the students of Coursera can get in touch with the first-hand or the latest information on Python. Much appreciated, thanks a lot. : )

By Jeevan K

Jul 18, 2017

A really good place to start learning about programming. Simple, precise and easy to implement. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn programming / python (w/o any background in programming) or someone who wants to start learning more about how we can use programming languages like Python as an effective and efficient tool for data analysis. If you are looking for motivation to commit to learning more about programming , data analysis / to understand importance of being competent in programming and dabbling in tech related studies - just watch (especially the last few minutes of) the Bonus videos in Week 5 Interview wirh Massimo Banzi: The Arduino and Week 2 Interview with Eben Upton: The RaspBerry Pi. Thanks a lot Dr. Chuck and team!

By Abraham E

Jan 03, 2016

Finally made programming "click" for me after trying several courses. I feel very, very enthusiastic about this course. I would recommend this to anyone who is computer literate enough to be studying online in the first place. Dr. Charles Severance is an expert in the subject (as far as my newbie self can tell) and he is clearly, beyond the shadow of a doubt, an expert in the delivery of this sort of complex material in a way that beginners can understand. He is also charismatic enough to be pleasant to watch, which matters since most of the course are videos of him talking.

Besides being easy to understand, the material becomes useful and real-world applicable marvelously quickly. This is really a phenomenal course. I highly, highly recommend it.

By Azamat D

Mar 05, 2020

I liked the course.

I did it very fast as I do have a programming background.

I liked the lecturer and the way of how the lectures material was provided. However, the course could have been improved if some extra materials like code listings or some stuff like "python reserved words" chart were saved and available along with the video materials.

You can find all of these in internet or while reviewing the video materials for sure, however once you have to recall smth from the course very fast - you have to either go through video or go through google. It is not a problem, it is just some kind of UX flaws as of me.

In general, I liked the course and I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to feel the taste of programming in Python. Thanks!

By Raúl C

Oct 09, 2016

Carecía absolutamente de cualquier conocimiento relacionado con la programación y este curso me ha permitido acceder de un modo sencillo y muy divertido a los primeros conceptos de un lenguaje informático, de modo que una vez concluidos los 5 primeros temas, por fin comprendo, a grandes rasgos, el funcionamiento de un programa y alcanzo a vislumbrar con mayor precisión la complejidad que entraña el desarrollo de las instrucciones necesarias para su correcto funcionamiento.

Lo cierto es que muero de ganas por seguir aprendiendo más y más, me gustaría dejar constancia de mis mas sincero agradecimiento a las personas que han hecho posible este curso y a todos aquellos que se han molestado en poder facilitar el material didáctico para su estudio.

By Kry

Sep 24, 2016

People use Python for many purposes: to make games, build web services, to solve business problems, to work with sensors, drivers and robots. Python is also used heavily in scientific fields for academic research and applied work.

Python is an incredibly efficient language: your programs will do more in fewer lines of code than many other languages would require.

Py4inf and Python explained by C. Servance, is a great developing of the foundations in programming (first two courses) that will serve you well for the rest of your life, as well as a course that will give you a sort of try to understanding of what great things python can do for you.

I strongly recommend this course for anybody, who wants to start with informatics.

By Vandana A

May 01, 2020

The course "Python for Everybody" is a wonderful course and provides sufficient knowledge about the Python Language. It helps the learner to know the basics of Python including Variable, data-types, expressions, operators, loops, conditional statements, functions etc. Also the explanation given by the professor Chuck is very easy and understandable. He used very good examples to get you into the flow with the programming. The quiz and the assignments are also very helpful to check our understanding and revise the things learnt so far during the course work. And the best thing about the course is that a person with no prior experience in programming can understand the whole course very comfortably. Really enjoyed learning this course.

By Osvaldo R

Mar 18, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. The material was well organised and the video lectures interesting and engaging. The course is an introduction to Python and as such it is suitable for beginners, even those with limited previous programming experience such as myself. Dr Severance is very good at explaining the contents and illustrating the theory with simple and clear examples. Something that I liked as well is the free eBook made available by Dr. Severance that covers pretty much the contents of the entire specialization. I also enjoyed additional videos made available containing interviews with famous IT professionals such as Pooja Sankar, Massimo Banzi (the inventor of Arduino) and especially Guido van Rossum, the inventor of Python.

By Aparna M

Dec 26, 2016

Prof. Charles Severance is one of the most awesome professors I've learnt from. He teaches extremely well, adds a Dr. Chuck touch to it with his impeccable sense of humor, and gets his message through to us students. (AND.. I absolutely love Snape; may Alan Rickman's soul rest in peace).

I am looking forward to the next part of Programming for Everybody (with Data Structures in Python). The thing I appreciate most about this course is that it is completely open to all, from the quizzes and grading to all the course material. This way, people like me can learn happily learn such in-demand subjects & programming languages, without having to worry about paying a fee. I would like to extend a sincere thanks to you all for the same.

By Seth

Aug 12, 2016

I have tried to take a few of the free online courses in Python and none compare to the teaching methods of this course. It moves so eloquently that anyone can learn Python through this course, even me. It does not jump to long confusing lines of code or randomly introduce functions/features not discussed. Rather, it sticks to small lines of code to get the point across until you are comfortable with it. the tools achieved in this course are valuable for anyone in any field needed to analyze and/or manipulate data. I have recommended this course to friends and family attempting to learn. Thank you so much Dr. Severance!

Note - If you are already familiar with Python this course would not be worth while; it is a beginner course.

By Minas-Marios V

Jun 10, 2017

A very solid and useful course for anyone interested in learning about programming in general. The professor is very engaging and quite easy to follow, he has an amazing way of explaining things and making everything look so interesting. The online book that accompanies the course is also very well-written, and is a welcome addition to the already informative video lectures.

The only drawback I might add is that the course is very simple for experienced programmers that want to get an introduction to Python. I believe though that the next courses in the specialization will cover more advanced topics, and that sacrifice had to be made since it is after all an introductory course aimed at people with zero programming experience.

Dec 23, 2015

it was a great course. Mr. Chuck, knows how to teach quality material to the masses. i would only suggest that on the programming assignments, it would be best if the instructor doesn't write half of the code. one reason is that having some of the code written would make that student think that the piece of code provided must be a part of the whole code. and as i worked on the programming assignments i realized that much of the code provided wasn't needed, in fact it took me longer than necessary to solve the assignments because i kept using the code provided, and upon solving the assignment none of the code that was provided was a part of the code i wrote. ....

on to the next course. Data Structure.

thank you coursera and UM.