Back to The R Programming Environment

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The R Programming Environment by Johns Hopkins University

4.4

This course provides a rigorous introduction to the R programming language, with a particular focus on using R for software development in a data science setting. Whether you are part of a data science team or working individually within a community of developers, this course will give you the knowledge of R needed to make useful contributions in those settings. As the first course in the Specialization, the course provides the essential foundation of R needed for the following courses. We cover basic R concepts and language fundamentals, key concepts like tidy data and related "tidyverse" tools, processing and manipulation of complex and large datasets, handling textual data, and basic data science tasks. Upon completing this course, learners will have fluency at the R console and will be able to create tidy datasets from a wide range of possible data sources....

MV
Dec 25, 2018

Very Very Rigorous Course for a beginner on R language and because of its nature, after completing just one course, I feel like I have gained a lot of knowledge and also familiarity with R language.

KV
Jun 17, 2019

A very good course to read and get the valuable content of R language. This is for the students who want to learn and practice the basic and some intermediate concepts of data manipulation.

176 - 200 of 289 Reviews for The R Programming Environment

By Alen D

Sep 2, 2019

This course is very informative and practical special the last assignment because I saw the real data and use of some of packages and functions which I only read them so far and I didn't know how to use them. I didn't give five stars only because problem which I have with swirl during the course:)

By Morgan T

Jun 15, 2018

I wish there had been more exercises like the final Week 4 quiz along the way -- Swirl was useful as an interactive supplement to the readings, but those last 10 questions were the only time where I really felt challenged to use learnings to solve problems more independently and originally.

By Mehmet U

Oct 2, 2018

Recorded whiteboard classes or videos from the instructors would significantly increase the value of the course. There should be more interaction with the instructors. Some weeks tasks/assignments were extremely more difficult compared to others. Otherwise, I liked it and learned a lot.

By Md K S

May 7, 2020

A very unique approach to teaching a programming language. This course removed my fear of learning a programming language. I have become comfortable in running Rstudio, and understand the codes. Various excel operations I feel comfortable doing with R. Thanks for the course Dr. Peng.

By Matthew D

Aug 21, 2017

The course is great, and very challenging. It is a little frustrating that the course requires 1 out of 2 programming assignments to be completed, but shows you as past due despite reaching that goal...

Getting this corrected and verified by Coursera has also been difficult.

By Juan F C C

Jan 28, 2021

Bastante buen curso, cubre gran cantidad de las funciones y paquetes existentes. El problema fue el examen. En ocasiones no se especificaba bien lo requerido y basicamente fue como te enseñamos a batir un huevo, haz esta tarta de merengue. Aun asi, bastante bien.

By Eugene W

Feb 21, 2017

The material gets progressively tougher but I never felt totally overwhelmed. My only feedback is for the mentors to be more responsive in the forums - if we're posting it means we've already thrown everything at the question and still couldn't figure it out.

By Rohit S

May 5, 2018

It's a great course for those who are just starting to learn R, It provides enriching for data analysis, however as a constructive feedback, I feel there could be improvements around how the exercise are planned and the submission process for the exercises

By chengchenggan

Dec 9, 2017

the last exam is very hard, which need more knowledge than what you learned in previous chapter. the forum is not very helpful. lots questions are either not answered or answered with delay. But overall, you can get the basic concept from the course.

By James L

Apr 26, 2017

Excellent intro to using Tidyverse (dplyr, tidyr, readr) to manipulate and clean data in R. Occasionally the readings and the SWIRL homework don't quite match up, but it's not a dealbreaker by any means. It was definitely worth my time overall.

By Rebecca G

Jul 23, 2017

This course was just ok. Much of the information is a screen scrape from a book and peer-evaluation, so you may be better off just getting the book and going through it. The mentors occasionally participated, the authors rarely so,.

By Nathan F

Jan 20, 2018

Good course, but there were some technical hang-ups with the "swirl" package which made it difficult to submit assignments and get credit for completing them, even once you've solved the coding questions. This was very frustrating.

By Zsolt P

Aug 8, 2018

The presentation of the material is a little all over the place and it is mostly just rehashing the material from an online textbook without any videos. The last assignment is pretty good practice though.

By Almira Y

Mar 29, 2018

English is not my native language so i had troubles with tasks, because it is sometimes

hard to understand what you have to do. My advice - rewrite final quiz and make it more easy for understanding.

By jose c

Jul 21, 2020

The content of the course is very interesting and useful, for those who want to learn a tool that allows them to perform data analysis, just a small detail that is in one of the assignments

By Noor S

Jun 7, 2018

Good to learn the possibilities in the R environment. In the end you learn most by applying it to your own projects (with a lot of help in available documentation or via internet sea).

By Sheila B

Jul 21, 2018

Excellent class. I had already done a lot of the swirls and would have liked that to be in my record somewhere, although it really wasn't hard--and was probably good--to repeat them.

By Gregory H

Dec 18, 2017

Very good overall. I feel that the first weeks are too easy relative to the last week - more involved practice and exercises would have been good before getting to the final quiz.

By Francesco D Z

May 18, 2017

Very good starting course, covers all the basics.

My 2 cents: I would prefer more tests like the last one than the swirl lessons, they're more challenging thus you learn more.

By Yajun L

Dec 26, 2018

First three weeks materials are amazing, and I like to interactive with swirl(). If there are some more videos rather than reading materials, it would be interesting.

By Omar E

Feb 4, 2018

I liked the swirl() package a lot, made me jump into writing codes into RStudio straight away. My only wish was to have some videos that would push me further

By Carl N

Oct 24, 2020

The whole course was easy to follow except for the last questions of the last exam where the merged data set results into a null data frame after filtering.

By Michael C

Jul 27, 2017

I like the swirl exercises, but found the text lessons to be very short. Overall, good but I hope some video will be given in future modules.

By Chung-Huey W

Oct 23, 2018

The Swirl interactive course materials are really helpful for hand-on practice in R-studio. Learned a lot of R fundamentals. Recommended.

By Mohanned A

Nov 5, 2016

very well, structure, the quiz was admirably hard, but satisfying to work through and solve. you made me think outside the box, excellent