Back to Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Learners will deepen their understanding and appreciation of ways in which race, ethnicity and cultural diversity have shaped American institutions, ideology, law, and social relationships from the colonial era to the present. Race and ethnicity are ideological and cultural categories that include all groups and individuals. Hence, this course is designed in significant part to take a broad look at the ideology of race and cultural diversity in America’s past and present. The primary focus is on the historical and social relationships among European Americans, Native Americans, African Americans, Latino/as, and Asian/Pacific Americans. Issues of race and ethnicity are examined across different ethno-cultural traditions in order to interweave diverse experiences into a larger synthesis of the meaning of race and ethnicity in American life. In this course, we conceive of “race” and “diversity” as references to the entire American population, even as we recognize that different groups have unique historical experiences resulting in distinctive and even fundamental cultural differences. We treat race and ethnicity as dynamic, complex ideological and cultural processes that shape all social institutions, belief systems, inter-group relationships, and individual experiences....

EJ
Nov 18, 2020

I felt Dr Anderson did an excellent job and I enjoyed hearing from the other resources and speakers as well. I would be interested in other similar courses and also other classes from dr Anderson.

CL
Dec 1, 2020

This course was outstanding. The video presentaions, additonal readings, and peer reviews allowing insight into other students perspectives was a definite plus. Will recommend to other co-workers.

26 - 50 of 119 Reviews for Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History

By Christina C M

Jul 9, 2020

I truly enjoyed taking this course. I wanted to take this course to enable me to design a class for my high school curriculum on Race and Diversity for the 21-22 school year. The lectures and the videos were particularly engaging and enlightening. This course gave me a place to start for my own students, but more importantly, through the research that I did for my final paper, I learned more about me and how my own teaching needs to transform to be both more inclusive and equitable.

By Ben B

Jun 29, 2020

Great course. FYI, you can complete most of the work in the first two weeks in ~2 hours (except for any of the supplemental materials) but the last two weeks are way more than that. Much more of a self-driven course than something that was facilitated. If that's what you're looking for, then this is the right place. It pushed me to think more, do more and new research, and really address some of the things I've I needed to... but didn't know where to start.

By Dawn S

Jul 15, 2020

Essential course for all teachers! The nuances of how race is social construct that is fluid according to different time periods is revealing of the bias in society. The omission of the sins of our nation opened my eyes and I gained a new perspective on culture and diversity. Teachers need to research and learn about American history from a source other than a textbook. This course offers an in-depth view of the real history of the American story.

By Tram N

Feb 2, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed taking this class with Dr. James Anderson because this course challenged my entire being and humbles me to hear the stories and learn about the history. Many thoughts, many feelings, and many emotions as I went through this course. I faced my own history, my family and friends, and my values. I am deeply grateful to Dr. Anderson, the staff that made this course possible, and the set up of this course. Thank you.

By Janice M

Jul 25, 2020

This is an excellent course that will cause you to do a bit of self-reflection and learn a great deal about race and culture in America. I found that I learned so many things that as a white person I had no idea about. The course will challenge you a bit as well...if it has been a while since you've written a research paper you might want to make sure to have access to an APA manual--or just ask your high schooler---they can help!

By S. J C

Aug 2, 2020

Excellent! Dr Anderson brings together a diverse set of resources to help expand our understanding of race and cultural diversity in the USA both historically and academically. I've benefited much from this series and very glad I took the accredited track. It has helped strengthen the conversations I have with others who may think differently to me and the patience to listen more carefully. Thank You!

By Candace E

Jul 12, 2020

Dr. Anderson utilized historical references, methodologies, theories, and factual information to examine variations of race, culture, and ethnicity. The following course Race and Culture Diversity in American Life and History is highly-recommended. The following course offers thought-provoking content as well as assignments that will challenge or adjust your overall perceptions of culture in America.

By Christina M

Jul 4, 2020

Exceptional course. The course was well-organized, incredibly informative, and filled with fantastic resources. For anyone wanting to learn more about American policy that has influenced institutional racism in our country , this is the course to take. Fantastic! I won't soon forget what I learned and how much more I need to research to be better informed!

By steven g

Sep 4, 2020

The course was very educational and informative. There were historically events in American history that have shaped this country that I was not aware of until completing the course. The format of the course was flexible to all full-time workers to complete at your own pace. I am planning to take several more courses with Coursera. Great experience..

By Jennifer T

Jul 12, 2020

This was a great course! I learned a lot through analyzing my own implicit bias and learning about different races through videos, my own research, and reviewing other's ideas. I definitely recommend this class to others. I wish if a peer was planning on giving someone lower than a 75% (essentially failing them) that they are required to give feedback.

By Cameron C

Feb 3, 2021

What a solid and enjoyable course. Such a relevant topic and never more so than our current time. Great instruction, excellent videos and materials for review. Easy learning process. A little beholden to peers reviewing your work but if you get the coursework in on time it is less relevant. Thank you for the experience.

By Carolyn B

Apr 24, 2020

An absolutely exception course covering history right up to the present. Really puts race and ethnicity into perspectives. The professor was very clear, articulate, interesting and knowledgeable about the subject. Although there were weekly assignments, they helped to put to use all the things learned in the course.

By SHIRLENE B D O

Mar 9, 2018

Excellent Course!

Congratulation Professor James D. Anderson for the excellence in his classes ,, for his high level content expertise and course management.

Congratulation to the Coursera staff that has planned and organized the material in a very suitable way favoring the distance learning.

Thank you all!

By Pablo I G

Sep 29, 2020

Muy bueno e interesante. Excelente para quienes quieren tener una visión más amplia sobre el problema del racismo, sus fuentes y esfuerzos por cambiar la situación. Si bien esta enfocado en la historia de los EEUU, los videos y tareas son fisilmente adaptables al contexto social de otros países.

By Tito L M V

Nov 20, 2020

Es un maravilloso curso, ya que nos lleva a identificar los problemas complejos que han originado la discriminación en el mundo. Recomendado para que tomemos consciencia y apliquemos la igualdad y el respeto en nuestras comunidades, además de ayudarnos a recuperar y fortalecer el tejido social.

By Debra L G

Jul 26, 2020

Dr. Anderson did an amazing job of presenting a very emotionally difficult subject. The content of the course was very interesting and at times difficult to face as it laid bare the political and ethical faces of racism. Thank you Dr. Anderson! You are much appreciated. -=-Debra

By Dan C

Aug 13, 2020

Excellent presentation of information and the chance to discuss and explore race and cultural diversity in American life and history.

I gained new insights from the lectures and course materials, as well as the presentations from my peers who were enrolled with me.

By Maureen P

Jul 17, 2020

Professor Anderson does an excellent job covering topics on race and cultural diversity. He provides lectures in a concise, easy to understand way and provides many supplementary resources for more in-depth study. Excellent course on a very important topic.

By Darrell K

Oct 29, 2020

The information statistics and lessons presented in this class were enlightening. The ability to hear about how the past directly impacts the present was a great learning experience. It was also great to hear input from others concerning race and culture.

By RL B J

Jul 27, 2020

Outstanding course. Being able to understand the racial history of the country and how that history impacts us today. If one wanted to understand why some of the problems that we face today are here, this class will explain some of the problems.

By Roberth J D C

Jun 7, 2020

This amazing course deepned me understanding of transnational realities about the senses and meanings of race and culture in the Americas. Thanks so much, Teacher James D. Anderson. Your empathy was a quality differential in the course.

By Marco G

Aug 23, 2020

This is a well put together course which enlightens and educates with primary and very personal sources. It has also helped me create within myself a greater awareness of racism in all its forms. A very highly recommended course.

By Linda S

Jul 22, 2020

Very informative and thought provoking class. Takes longer than the hours listed suggest. Ends with a 10 page research paper that is quite involved and may require more skills than some beginners are comfortable with.

By Jean T

Jul 7, 2020

Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History should be taught in High School to everyone. I enjoyed everything about this course! Many thanks to James Anderson our instructor! Keep spreading the word!