Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG
Jul 26, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

AB
Sep 9, 2019

very good course. The last e-activity was proposal preparation. It will be good if they add something about sampling in reading materials. Very good experience for me.....I will recommend this course

151 - 175 of 1,759 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By Marco G

Aug 1, 2018

Nice course, really innovative way of teaching.

However, I would only recommend this course to undergraduate student or people who are interested in research but do not have any background since this is clearly an introduction course.

By Haritha D

Apr 17, 2018

Understanding Research methods has been of great benefit to me. Helping greatly In understanding and improving my own research process and foremost that MOOC courses do work for me around my schedule.

Big kudos and Thanks to the team.

By Meibis G V

May 5, 2018

it is an excellent course! I am conscious about the need to perform more researach. I have learned the basic yet key essential factors that can help me start doing more research. The tasks are meaningful and the trainers are superb!

By CE19D503 C S S U S

Sep 8, 2021

This course has made me realise the importance of a good research. Especially, I resonated with Dr. Sandra's words and it helped me perfectly frame my research objective. Hope to see such meaningful insightful courses in the future

By Snigdha M

proper presentation of how to approach research was there. I like doing peer-graded assignments in this course. Getting reviews from various people on your understanding of concepts is very good. I really enjoyed doing this course.

By Sumble S

Sep 27, 2020

Thanks a lot for giving an opportunity to learn some very important tips for writing good literature review and research question. The instructors talked in detail to make us understand everything. Good course to go with research.

By SALAZAR, M S G

Jul 11, 2020

The mentor is always there to assist you and is very approachable and active. It allows you to collaborate with your peers. Review of your work is very fast. You do not need to wait for a week for you to be able to see your grade.

By Muhammad A

Oct 15, 2019

This course was my beginning to learn research methods. It created my interest in research methods and I did more work, studies past researches with the new perspective added by this course. I am happy that I selected this course.

By Meliza P

Nov 25, 2020

This course is good and it teaches you the step by step method on how to do a good research proposal. It can be a big help for you if you are a postgraduate who wants to make a research on something. I will recommend this course.

By Lica T

Sep 25, 2020

The structure of this course is not just informative but also entertaining! I like their approach! It inspires me to pursue research field and I am happy to meet devoted researchers through this course. Really amazing experience.

By Juan C M C

Sep 6, 2021

Very good course especially the discussion forums. They help a lot in the development of the course. I was pleased to see camaraderie in the discussion forums and the willingness on the part of the people who participate in it.

By Priya

Sep 25, 2020

It is a good platform for students who actually want to study or want to know more about the various aspects of their study. I am a researcher and I learned here some extra about research approaches, thanku and keep doing this.

By Pooja y

Jul 6, 2020

I loved this course . The materials that are provided are very good and videos also helps in understanding the topics . The e-activity are helpful in find out how well you understood that topic. So overall very good experience.

By A M

Apr 1, 2019

The manner of teaching is really good. Precise to the core yet explaining the depth of the various contents one has to tackle and finalize in his/her research. The reading content specifically is really informative and useful.

By Joy A A

Dec 26, 2020

This is a very good course for anyone interested in the research I have gained a lot and I wish to thank Dr. Yenn Lee and Dr.Simon Rofe who were the moderators thank you so much for the resources you made available. Thank you

By Saima S

Mar 29, 2021

Good day.

This is a very good course for beginners.

It is recommended that there should be given some format/sample template in the E-tivity 4 so that one's could clearly know about what to do and how to do this assignment.

By BADMUS M A

Jan 31, 2021

Beneath the title of the course lies a great opportunity to hone the fundamental skills to conducting a research. The peer review and the discussion forum gives you the views of others on what you learnt. Kudos to the team.

By Jaswant

Apr 24, 2020

It was a very informative course for all students who want to research in their academics career. It will help in developing a good research question and for managing time and design that how research can be more effective.

By Sandesh P

Aug 12, 2020

Its very informative and helpful for anyone who wishes to learn the basic aspects of research. It gives one a lot of things to ponder on, and assists one in going about their research in a systematic and organised manner.

By shirley s

May 7, 2020

The course was a great overview on how to develop a research paper in terms of developing the topic, how to structure the research exercise, time management skills, and the various types of research approaches and types.

By Rodrigo P B

Dec 8, 2019

Very nice introduction on Research Methods. The interviews with several scholars and researches truly give meaning to the course' contents and enlighten the path on discovering how to use the Research Methods on our own.

By Olusola A

Aug 7, 2017

Very good course that summarizes what a new researcher especially needs to know as you enter the world of research. This course helped to build my confidence, and I am hoping to embark on a research program soon. Thanks.

By Talgat K

Apr 6, 2021

For everyone who is doing or planning his/her research at academia. It was very fruitful to refresh knowledge given by my University Professor and compare with real cases provide by University of London professors team.

By Alok K P

Aug 10, 2020

It was a great experience to listen to some researchers talking about their methods and understanding of research. I would suggest the instructors, along with the discussion they should also teach the research methods.

By Arafat M

May 1, 2019

I enjoyed a lot during completing this course, There was nothing hard to understand. And absolutely the course have helped me a lot to understand some basics and important issues to conducting a proper research. Thanks