Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG

Jul 27, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

AB

Sep 10, 2019

very good course. The last e-activity was proposal preparation. It will be good if they add something about sampling in reading materials. Very good experience for me.....I will recommend this course

126 - 150 of 1,278 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By Pooja y

Jul 06, 2020

I loved this course . The materials that are provided are very good and videos also helps in understanding the topics . The e-activity are helpful in find out how well you understood that topic. So overall very good experience.

By A M

Apr 01, 2019

The manner of teaching is really good. Precise to the core yet explaining the depth of the various contents one has to tackle and finalize in his/her research. The reading content specifically is really informative and useful.

By Jaswant

Apr 24, 2020

It was a very informative course for all students who want to research in their academics career. It will help in developing a good research question and for managing time and design that how research can be more effective.

By Sandesh P

Aug 12, 2020

Its very informative and helpful for anyone who wishes to learn the basic aspects of research. It gives one a lot of things to ponder on, and assists one in going about their research in a systematic and organised manner.

By shirley s

May 07, 2020

The course was a great overview on how to develop a research paper in terms of developing the topic, how to structure the research exercise, time management skills, and the various types of research approaches and types.

By Rodrigo P B

Dec 08, 2019

Very nice introduction on Research Methods. The interviews with several scholars and researches truly give meaning to the course' contents and enlighten the path on discovering how to use the Research Methods on our own.

By Olusola A

Aug 07, 2017

Very good course that summarizes what a new researcher especially needs to know as you enter the world of research. This course helped to build my confidence, and I am hoping to embark on a research program soon. Thanks.

By Alok K P

Aug 10, 2020

It was a great experience to listen to some researchers talking about their methods and understanding of research. I would suggest the instructors, along with the discussion they should also teach the research methods.

By Arafat M

May 01, 2019

I enjoyed a lot during completing this course, There was nothing hard to understand. And absolutely the course have helped me a lot to understand some basics and important issues to conducting a proper research. Thanks

By Nipuni_Herath

This course gives a good understanding of what is a research, what is a good research, how to do a research successfully. The interviews were really nice where the experts express their opinion in an effective manner.

By GANESH K J

I had wonderful experiences throughout the course and have learnt many things from identifying the problem, research questions, various research designs. Thank you so much for the Professors who handled the course.

By Charlie M

May 08, 2020

This is a clear and easy to understand grounding in research methods. I enjoyed the videos and feel I am better equipped to structure my approach to a research project in a way that is more likely to be successful.

By BHARADWAJ

Apr 14, 2020

An Excellent course to understand the basics of how to do Research and why one must carry out it in an extensively planned fashion. Gives the course taker a wider perspective and a motivation to carry out research.

By Jiyoung K

Apr 03, 2018

When I take this course before, I totally have no idea of research methods. However, I took this course, then I could figure out my research proposal. It was really helpful and useful to me. Thanks for the courses.

By Jose A E

Apr 30, 2020

It was an excelent and perfect course for understanding the research methods. It helps me a lot, thanks to the University of London and Coursera for providing this opportunity to enhance our Knowledge in research.

By Nadia F

Sep 05, 2015

Really useful course for ones who are thinking about career in science. Helped me a lot to understand how to write my PhD thesys and what I'm going to face while conducting my first recearch.

Thank you very much!!!

By sandhya s

May 02, 2018

This course gives an overall idea about Research Methods to a beginner. With the assessments it also enables one to do a deeper research in the interested area. Peer review helps by giving a different prospect.

By Eddah K

Jun 26, 2016

This course has given me a new energy to move on with my research. I loved the advice on the need to plan and manage well and to ensure one writes something everyday. Thank you and I look forward for more topics.

By Nguyen T T

Sep 23, 2018

This course is extremely helpful for researchers. I truly learned a lot. I have been impressed by learning approaches like peer reviews, video interviews. That's amazing to have a lot of ideas from many experts.

By RAUL M

Mar 18, 2017

Cuando empezó el curso me doy cuenta que tengo una pregunta demasiado vaga, tengo la idea pero las ideas están volando en el aire, al final delimito hacia donde quiero llegar y por qué estoy haciendo las cosas .

By Harmony

Jul 12, 2020

Thank you so much. It was an absolute pleasure to take this course and I'm so appreciative of everything I got to learn. Answered many of the questions I had regarding research before I took the course. Cheers.

By Debasish P

Aug 26, 2018

Excellent. In a very short time it can help you to understand how research work? Peer Review method is excellent and everybody is very cooperative. I will recommend this course to all young researchers like me.

By AGougam

Aug 15, 2020

Really informative , I would recommend this for any new researcher (junior or otherwise). I like also that it provides perspective for research methods in various very different fields.

Kind regards

Adel Gougam

By JANE Q A

Sep 25, 2019

I had fun reading the research resources, watching the videos, responding in every week's e-tivity and reviewing my peersv assignments. I learned a lot from the reviews of my fellow classmates in this course.

By SUNITHA B

Jun 09, 2020

It was well designed and paced. It gave meaningful insight and supported my need in revising my research plans. Thank you to the course instructors and to all the course mates who made the learning possible.