Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG
Jul 26, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

AB
Sep 9, 2019

very good course. The last e-activity was proposal preparation. It will be good if they add something about sampling in reading materials. Very good experience for me.....I will recommend this course

1601 - 1625 of 1,634 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By Ahmed E

Apr 1, 2019

This is a good course but I was hoping to get lectures that teach the research methodology in greater details with MCQs as testing methods.

By Akshay T

Jun 21, 2020

Not at all recommended. I would prefer rather book like Craft of research or a similar one instead of this course.

By Oosman B

Jul 12, 2018

Contains worthwhile content though for all the hours spent, I didn't get as much as I should have.

By Abdulrahman A

Mar 29, 2017

The course is not well constricted to guide students.. it's only fill the gaps.

By Rawan N A

Sep 1, 2020

thank you for your efforts but I think need more information

By Biobele L

Jul 5, 2020

It was a great and enlightening course. I was so excited

By Carlos M C C

Nov 2, 2020

Poor sound, low quality videos. Low engagement.

By Saquib B H

Jul 6, 2020

The contents could have been better.

By Rawan I B H

Jul 6, 2020

Not adding any valuable information

By Sintra S

Jun 25, 2020

Not really detailed

By Xavier O

Nov 26, 2015

yeah

By Lucia

Feb 13, 2021

I am very disappointed with the content of this course. By the title and the topic, it had the potential to be a true gem among the courses offered on this site, since the topic is diverse yet very relevant to a lot of students, and the information could have supported potential researchers into the initial phases of their studies (which as far as I understand is the ultimate goal of the course, and my intention when I joined).

However, the course is just lazy. The creators did not have in mind to provide any useful information, insights, or advice. They recorded one-minute videos with UCL researchers and used parts of those one-minute long interviews in diverse videos so that, along with a total of 10 minutes of content for the first course of the week, you watch the same vague, already well-known affirmations all over. This means you learn nothing, and you're left with minus 10 minutes of your precious time.

Having completed many other Coursera courses I can say it's the first time I find one that is so pretentious it makes you want to believe that you are gaining any valuable knowledge in a total of 10 minute videos and a less than challenging activity. Literally, this review has taken me more effort than completing the contents of the whole of the first week. This review also has probably taken more effort than creating the contents of the entire course.

Truly, it is the worst course I've done on this platform, and would recommend that you do something else instead.

By david w

Aug 3, 2020

Peer reviewing quality was very poor, and I didn't receive any feedback that I could learn from. There was a mismatch between the simplicity of the points in the videos and the complexity of the readings, and there was no assistance with the reading, e.g. supporting notes or videos discussing the readings. The discussion facility was not used for any actual discussion of the material, but was filled with requests for peer reviewing including at least one that said 'I'll give you a good mark if you give me one'.

The useful aspect was completing the assignments, which made me watch the videos and read the sources, but, as I say, there was no subsequent useful feedback.

By aastha s

This course is not what it boasts to be.Just some random interviews are posted without doing any work on developing the content and structuring the presentation.Pier review system even makes it worse.I was expecting a more structured presentation rather than beating around the bush.Rather than giving reference to the materials you can make some efforts to create content of your own.If you are looking for course on research methods the course by university of Amsterdam is the best hands down.

By Zafar A

Aug 26, 2020

The course could be done much better. It is basically people being interviewed about what research is and they ask the same questions to 4 different people with similar answers. Also the course organisers get u the paying customer to review as oppose to do it themselves -I think this is not fair and u get no input from the course organiser. How this course got an award is beyond me. Coursea should remove this course or get new people to do it properly.

By Manuel S

Aug 9, 2020

It is a really basic course. I don't recommend it because the videos are not well organized and the assignments are not clear. It also demands to give feedback with at least 50 words, this is not applicable to submissions that require a minimun of 400 words but participants dont take the course seriously and write a copuple of lines. Also, the interviews from the videos are not well organized and the people interviewed dont always make a good point.

By Zokir A

Jul 14, 2020

Except for the material prepared by Harvard about research methods I couldn't find anything attractive in this course. Unfortunately, instructors were not influential. They spoke with a very low tone and lacked enthusiasm. I remember one of them saying that they represent good researchers. What? Personally or professionally I don't know you, but by your speaking or enthusiasm you are not representing "good researchers".

By Mithra A

Aug 26, 2020

The course could have been organized better. The tittle tells understanding the research methods and the instructors had hardly discussed any. The interview they take with other people could just be a supplementary videos and not the main course content itself. It was quite shocking to know to the entire content has just the interviewed opinions.

By Marc G

Aug 13, 2017

I found this course way too sketchy and lacking in information. The module on literature reviews was good, but other than that, the course was devoid of content and I do not feel like my knowledge of research methods has increased after completing the course.

By Chad J

Jul 22, 2020

It gave me some interesting ideas to consider but didn't delve into how to do any of them. For example we read three chapters about the importance of a organized, methodical literature review, but there wasn't anything on how to do it methodically.

By Rasha S

Apr 9, 2021

The course does not have a clear structure or structured lectures. The videos are of people giving their opinion of the topics and there are no definitive ways given. It just feels too unorganized and difficult to follow.

By Ashhadullah F

Jan 20, 2021

Said that If you can pass the exam, you will be given a free certificate, but the certificate was not given..... Cheater... Cheated with me..... Don't trust your Institute/organization

By Renan J S L

Feb 2, 2021

The lectures are more fo pep talks. The course did not really give a lot of detail on research methods.

By Daniel Z

Jan 31, 2018

Minimal content. The course explores a very relevant topic in a very shallow way.

By Agrivino V P A

Apr 6, 2020

It's a piece of garbage, because we can't download the pdfs.