Back to Understanding Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Research Methods by University of London

This MOOC is about demystifying research and research methods. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research, aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the postgraduate level. It places the student experience at the centre of our endeavours by engaging learners in a range of robust and challenging discussions and exercises befitting SOAS, University of London's status as a research-intensive university and its rich research heritage. The course will appeal to those of you who require an understanding of research approaches and skills, and importantly an ability to deploy them in your studies or in your professional lives. In particular, this course will aid those of you who have to conduct research as part of your postgraduate studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those of you who feel you would like additional support for self-improvement. No prior knowledge or experience in research is required to take this course and as such, the course is for everyone. This MOOC draws on a wealth of existing course material developed to support research training across SOAS, University of London and particularly drawing from the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). In 2015, the course was nominated for the prestigious Guardian University Award for its innovative approach to online learning. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

AG
Jul 26, 2017

This is wonderful course especially for research scholars, one suggestion is instead of giving articles from books, please provide a PPT which will be more effective ! thank you for wonderful session.

MA
Sep 12, 2019

It was a perfect course for understanding the research methods. It helps me a lot, thanks to the University of London and Coursera for providing this opportunity to enhance our Knowledge in research.

1651 - 1675 of 1,731 Reviews for Understanding Research Methods

By Choi K

Aug 22, 2020

There is not much exploration of theoretical frameworks as I was expecting.

By APARNA R

The course was successful in giving an overview about the research process.

By Professor B

Dec 10, 2016

It's look very very basics, i thought to get something more informative..

By JUDYTH A E

Sep 14, 2015

course content was great, but I felt like the course left me hanging....

By ahmed i a b

Jan 3, 2016

so interesting and they got a very talented way of teaching

By Mayank S

Jan 15, 2016

The course should be renamed as Basics of Research Method.

By Sadia T

Jun 28, 2020

A book or youtube tutorial is better than this course.

By KEVIN W

Nov 19, 2020

Great course and knowledge i got from this course

By Juan J C G

Apr 25, 2017

es un poco difícil entender bien las preguntas

By Ritesh R

Mar 7, 2021

Learning by doing and listening to some talks

By Emil

Jul 13, 2020

This was definitely a strange course.

By Dissanayake M B D D

Nov 8, 2019

Average

By jaime v s

Dec 16, 2019

I found the course useful because it made me think of a project I am working on. How ever, I found it way too short, I completed the four weeks in for days of light work (between 1-2 hours). I found the feedback I received a disappointment, with usually just a line of writing saying "good job", which seems to me that students just fill it up as a requirement. I found the chapters most useful, and I think it was a good call making the tasks around them; that being said, most of the work I reviewed (about this chapters) wasn´t about the chapters or the task at hand. I don´t know how others reviewed but I suspect they didn´t care and put up a passing grade. I would´ve liked more serious evaluations, and more tasks for that matter -maybe two for each week, one for the videos and one for a chapter-. Talking about the videos, I found them interesting but mostly too short and on the surface. I know the price is low because of the limitations present, but I don´t think that's excuse for the lack of content.