Back to Advertising and Society

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Advertising and Society by Duke University

This course examines the relation of advertising to society, culture, history, and the economy. Using contemporary theories about visual communications, we learn to analyze the complex levels of meaning in both print advertisements and television commercials. About the Course The course covers a wide range of topics, including the origins of advertising, the creation of ads, the interpretation of ads, the depiction of race, class, gender, and sexuality in advertising, sex and selling, adverting and ethics, and the future of advertising. The lectures will discuss theoretical frameworks and apply them to specific advertisements. Course Syllabus Week 1: What is advertising and where did it come from? Week 2: Am I being manipulated by advertising? Week 3: What’s in an ad beyond that which meets the eye? Week 4: How do ads get made? Week 5: What do ads teach us about race, class, gender, and sexuality? Week 6: Does sex sell? Week 7: What is the future of advertising? Recommended Background No background is required; everyone is welcome! Suggested Readings Although the lectures are designed to be self-contained, we recommend that students refer to the free online textbook ADTextOnline.org. Other free resources will be suggested for each week’s module. Course Format Most videos will be lectures with instructor talking. Each lecture will be illustrated with PowerPoint slides, print advertisements, and TV commercials. The videos for each week will consist of segments that add up to about an hour. Each week will have one quiz that will appear as stand-alone homework. All resources beyond lectures will be available online to students at no charge. Most of these will be from ADTextOnline.org. Others will be visits to the sites of ad agencies in the US and abroad, open access websites that deal with course topics, and open-access journal articles....

KD

Jun 15, 2018

What a great course! As an owner of an agency, a marketer and advertiser, I found it very eye opening and enjoyable. I learned a lot that I can apply to our business. Thank you Professor O'Barr.

GG

May 03, 2017

I will never look at advertising with the same eyes. It made me understand a lot of our current society and economy. Really suggested if you want to become a more informed citizen and consumer.

1 - 25 of 70 Reviews for Advertising and Society

By Karen P

Jan 28, 2019

Well-structured and informative. Quizzes were a good way to check understanding.

By Aine G

Feb 11, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I took it to help me further my career and get a better understanding of advertising and the world I want to work in. It provided me with great of information and gave me a lot to think about, to research further and pay more attention to the advertising around me. I found that even though the majority of the examples and case studies were American I still found it useful and seen similarities in Ireland and Irish advertising. Thank you.

By Anna Z

Feb 24, 2019

Very interesting!

By Pashkov A

Mar 13, 2019

Very interesting cours, a lot of things to think about. Thank you, Professor William M. O'Bar.

By SHIKHAR Z

Mar 14, 2019

Amazing, I learned a lot.

By Губин Т С

Mar 18, 2019

Willam Barr is a genius

By Devansh D

Mar 20, 2019

Great course. This course has helped me a lot in getting better in Advertising field. I recommend this course to everyone those who are trying to build a non technical profile like me.

By cogochi1997

Dec 25, 2018

It is the my first time to study through a course in Internet. The experience is amazing, since it opens a brand-new door for me to advertising and gives a chance to explore the advertising by additional resources. Thx a lot~ Professor is really really nice and erudite. And I will continue to learn more about advertising~

By Nguyễn T P L

Jul 24, 2017

This is a very useful course. Thanks

By Lưu Q D

Aug 31, 2017

very good

By Dado M

Apr 01, 2018

Congratulations Professor!

By Aurelija V

Nov 26, 2017

Very interesting and valuable! I have learned how to look at advertising from a more long-term focused perspective.

By Yana Y

Nov 20, 2016

Great course! It has helped me learn a lot and given me much more perspective on the world of advertising. I thoroughly enjoyed learning and discovering new things.

By Nguyễn T P L

Jul 25, 2017

The course is very helpful

By Kevin L D

Jun 15, 2018

By prashant t

May 02, 2017

very nice and very effective course :)

By Nino I

Nov 20, 2017

the best course

By carrie

Sep 02, 2017

This course is so informative and interesting, making me think about pursuing advertising so much! The professor is great with explaining complex ideas to simple ones. Love it!

By Saakshi N

Jul 19, 2017

It is a very broad course, which beautifully delves into the subject of advertising by using innumerable examples and references to make studying easier and more interesting.

By Jose R M J

Jun 25, 2017

Informative and thought-provoking, this course will equip you with the tools you need to look at advertising with a critical eye and to understand its relationship with our modern world beyond what meets the eye. Professor O'Barr is also an excellent teacher, and his passion for the material inspires you to continue learning, even beyond what's mentioned in the lectures.

By Saurabh M

Feb 26, 2018

It's a wonderful course which talks about the fundamentals of advertisement and links them to the practical scenario in history and recent times. Advertisement is a vast field, but this course certainly provides the required basis to further gain the expertise in the field.

By Amir H V

Nov 26, 2017

Thanks a lot for your effort and hardworking to deliver these course to us.

By rishika m

Jul 24, 2017

Great course. The faculty is really good. He explains everything patiently. The ads shown in between help you understand well. Would like more such courses.

By Abin J M

Jun 13, 2018

100% Happy with the course,learned a lot!!!!!! looking forward for similar learning experience.

By Christopher L