Back to Writing in the Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing in the Sciences by Stanford University

SD

Feb 26, 2020

Respected Dr.kristiani sainani madam and coursera.\n\nI thank you for the wonderful classes and presentations, it really didn't made me feel that i was learning online course but as in class learning.

KK

Sep 15, 2020

Hello Kristin\n\nThank you for teaching me the basics of academic writing and editing with proper grammar. In this course, I was introduced to the scientific panel which further enriched my knowledge.

76 - 100 of 1,277 Reviews for Writing in the Sciences

By Mohamed N M

Jul 19, 2020

I am so pleased to have this amazing course. I learned much. I can't count skills I learned. But I now could try to wrize a manuscript, edit others writing,write for lay audience, learned how draft a complete manuscritp with good steps, and about submission process. As I said I can't count what I learned but it is a great chance to take a course from Stanford University. I greatly thank Coursera platform for their great services, as people say it is availble for each learner, provides teching courses in nearly all fields. I hope take more and more courses from Coursera platform.

Great Thanks.

By Nilesh V J

May 13, 2020

I am very happy with the course. It is planned and executed in a thorough professional way. I am very happy with the way Dr Sainani has conducted the course. Her voice modulation and way of explaining the course material is very good , she keeps the audience engaged. I have published 18 papers till now, i wonder why did it not strike me earlier to take this course, it would have made my papers much better.

I am thankful to Dr Sainani for her wonderful efforts in conducting this course. I will surely recommend this course to my friends in my field.

Regards

Dr Nilesh V Joshi

By Mamiko T

Aug 04, 2020

Dr. Kristin Sainani has a talent for teaching things in a bite-size and makes it fun to learn. Her ability to organize materials and how she talks in an uplifting tone also helped a great deal to finish this course. I am a non-scientist (I am a translator who deals with research papers a lot) so, I was a little bit nervous if I could even finish the course. It was challenging but packed with very useful information. Now I can edit/translate research paper written by non-native English speakers much more confidently and in a shorter amount of time. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

By Jenna A

Aug 13, 2020

This is an amazing course! I am a college Senior and I found this to be a comprehensive course, full of relevant and helpful information and exercises to make me a better writer. I learned that writing in science is a skill of its own, different than writing a book or essay for English class. Dr. Kristin Sainani is a wonderful instructor, everything about her teaching style and breadth of information is excellent. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in becoming a scientific researcher, or looking to edit scientific journals. Great job!

By Sergey S

Aug 29, 2020

In the beginning of the course editing was hard for me. My internal scientist was speaking in stiff lifeless sentences which he picked up from all the books and papers that I have read.

Now I see that engaging science writing is not only possible, but necessary. If you produce a result you are proud of (and why produce different ones?), you should put your best effort into sharing it with your scientific community. I hope all the lessons from the course will help me with writing further articles and will help my colleagues with understanding them!

By ARYA A V

Jun 19, 2020

What an experience it has been!!

A big thank you to Stanford University and Kristin Sainani for this endeavour which helped researchers in across various disciplines. It gave me a different take on reading and understanding manuscripts, along with the very useful tips on writing effectively. The demo edits and peer reviews have helped me tremendously. It convinced me that a scientific piece need not be abstract and boring. Kristin showed elegantly showed us that keeping it simple and real is the key to communicate any idea across any platform.

By Rod T

Feb 26, 2018

I completed the course over a month ago, and I am struck by how often I recall and use things I learned. Writing in the Sciences lays a broad foundation for science writers and subject matter experts alike. Young scientists will find many helpful hints and tips, and even experienced editors will find nuggets to squirrel away. The instructor owns a strong background in science as well as in writing/editing, and her expertise and experience lend a unique perspective to the material. I give Writing in the Sciences my highest recommendation.

By Rafaela C P

Jun 03, 2020

This course is extremely helpful and very well organised. Dr. Kristin Sainani does an outstanding job in explaining how to write effectively. The polls, exercises, and essays are a great complement that help you to practice what you have learned, giving a new meaning to each lesson. As the themes of each week are broad, this is a course for anyone, at any career stage (from tips on how to be a better writer up to how to write scientific manuscripts and grants!). Definitely recommend it to anyone that wants to improve scientific writing.

By Jillian

Jan 31, 2020

Great course! I do recommend updating the social media section (5.6, I believe). There are some inaccurate facts (ex. twitter's character count) and one MAJOR issue wasn't addressed: social media blow back. How can one survive if a tweet about the development of a coronavirus vaccine is brigaded by anti-vaxxers, for example? How to avoid getting drug down into unproductive debates? Also, maybe a quick reminder that "the internet is forever" so never ever post anything you wouldn't want a future employer to see. Choose words wisely.

By Astrid P M C

Jan 09, 2019

I was a little bit sceptical of taking a writing course on line. I had no idea whatsoever how a writing course could be run on line - I am satisfied and happy about the course in general. The course brings the essential tools to improve the writing. It helped me to be more aware of the mistakes I commonly do during my writing. I found quite interesting that it involves the different scenarios : a scientific manuscript, a book for general audience, social media and networks. I definitely will be recommending the course.

By Andrew M

Oct 25, 2017

I have always struggled to right scientific papers. They often suffer from redundancy and poor organization. Not to mention the long time it takes me to complete one.

This course was transformative. It provided me with a game plan to efficiently structure my writing time. Unlike other courses it went into detail about how different sections should be written and what language should be used. In addition the breadth of the course also includes other types of writing which all researchers will inevitably have to tackle.

By Beyza D

Aug 16, 2020

Thank you, Dr. Kristin Sainani, for this fantastic course. I will strongly recommend this course to those who pursue an academic career. Besides its benefits, I enjoyed attending classes. Some editing exercises are a little bit difficult since they are mostly about medical sciences, but overall the content was great. I completed my thesis and published an article before taking the course, but after finishing, I can't stop thinking about how much I could make them better with the tricks I learned from this course.

By Karla M

Jul 13, 2020

This course has been incredibly helpful in advancing my writing skills. The course covers a wide range of topics, from writing scientific articles to writing for the media and lay audiences. Professor Sainani is an amazing writer and her tips and lessons have been very useful; I can already see improvements in my writing. This course is useful for non-native English speakers as well. I loved the real-life examples and stories. Overall, one of the best courses I have taken for professional development.

By Maria R

Mar 13, 2018

I really enjoyed the course. Although the subject can be tedious and boring, this course was neither. It corrected some of my misconceptions regarding scientific writing and hopefully will help me in becoming a better writer. I really like that there are a lot of examples and opportunities to try things out and then compare with the instructor. I also liked that there is a section about the paper review process and what do editors and reviewers look for when they reviewing papers. Thank you!

By Aia A

Apr 18, 2020

This is the best course I've ever studied on Coursera! The content is very practical with tons of tips, examples and exercises. The teacher Dr. Kristin Sainani is very engaging - the speed and the tone of speech make listening and watching video enjoyable (not like many other teachers in here which just read loud out the text), her comments during the video are really important and sometimes funny (I used to skip video lectures at other courses due to monotonous tone of speakers). Thanks!

By Ruijia W

Jan 28, 2019

I've taken this course before it is redirected to coursera (1-2 years ago) and I'm coming back to it. I still enjoy the powerful, simple tips and recommend this course to many colleagues in my field - geophysics. You definitely don't need to be in the medical school to take this course.

A bit personal story: I finished my PhD thesis since the last time I took the course - I'm no longer waiting for inspiration. Thank you for reading this far and thank you for offering this great course.

By Aditi S S

Jun 20, 2020

The course, as well as the course instructor, has greatly helped me in distinguishing the various formats of writing. Now, I am confident to communicate my interests and research in the form of grants, papers, interviews, and reviews. Earlier, it was always a task to explain my study to the common people. After taking this course, it has become much easier for me to keep aside the scientific mind and communicate with the layman. Thank you, Kristin. You're a great instructor.

By Nam N

Oct 02, 2019

I recommend this course to all people who have engaged, or will engage, to write their own thesis. I wish I learned the course before I wrote my works, so it would be easier for me to do a good job. There are a lot of new interesting but surprising things that I realize when entering the course. It specifically impresses me with sections about how to write a manuscript and a personal statement as well as a letter of recommendation and its ethical issue. Thank you very much!

By Vikrant J

Aug 26, 2020

Writing has always terrified me, and it's far from being my strength. But this course really made me explore the concepts that I mostly did know already in a more organized and clear way. It also gave me great insights into the publication process which has been a mystery to me. I also loved the inclusion of writing for general audiences, personal statement writing, conducting interviews, and social media bits. I hope I can communicate my findings better in the future now!

By María L G

Going through the principles of good writing, I have learned different tricks to write more clearly, concisely and faster and, most important, to render a text easy and attractive for those who will read it. In addition, it wasn’t only the online lessons that I found really interesting and helpful but the exercises on writting and peer reviewing we were assesed. Working together with others participants have really contribute to make this course a great experience. THANKS!

By Khadim H C

Jun 08, 2018

Happy to complete WRITING IN THE SCIENCES which is my third course on coursera in 2018. I have really enjoyed this course, as it is my passion to write in science. I am so thankful to Dr Kristine Sainani and other professors and mentors associated with this program directly or indirectly. I am also so impressed and thus so thankful to senior professors who got interviewed by Dr Kristine Sainani where we were provided opportunity to get inspired.

Khadim Chaudhary

By Diana G R A

Jul 26, 2019

As a very beginner writer, with no clue how or where to start, it is really useful and helpful take this course. I have much more confidence now to start writing (pre-writing) my first article. Thank you so much to Stanford University, especially Dr. Kristin Sainani for making the effort and drive this course for world wide scientific population. Also thank to my peers for taking the time to check on my texts. I really enjoyed sharing "virtual classroom" with all of you.

By Reem B

Jun 29, 2020

I enjoyed and benefited from this course a lot. For someone still in their preliminary stages of writing in science and looking to be published, this course provided formidable guidance. It also gave me new faith in how scientific writing should be in spite of the quality of what we sometimes see out there. Thank you so much Dr. Kristin, especially for your engaging manner of presenting the content and your belief in upholding ethical standards so essential to science,

By Sruthi R

Jun 14, 2020

This course was a wonderful journey through writing! Dr.Kristen has taught us the techniques and intricacies involved in writing professional scientific documents like reviews, research articles, grants and Letter of recommendations. Through step by step teaching and number of examples given, its a golden opportunity to sharpen your writing skills! Thank you Ma'am for the 8 week journey helping us realize the fun of professional writing! I surely recommend this course!

By amos a t

Aug 04, 2020

I can now write faster and better without anxiety. I have learnt the formats of writing a scientific manuscript, peer review, grant writing, ethical issues in scientific publication, and writing for general audiences. I can now present my facts and arguments in a better format without compromising. I believe all this would speed up my career goals and in no time - I would be one of the highly rated women in the animal science field that the world would reckon with.