Back to Writing in the Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing in the Sciences by Stanford University

SD

Feb 25, 2020

Respected Dr.kristiani sainani madam and coursera.

I thank you for the wonderful classes and presentations, it really didn't made me feel that i was learning online course but as in class learning.

KK

Sep 14, 2020

Hello Kristin

Thank you for teaching me the basics of academic writing and editing with proper grammar. In this course, I was introduced to the scientific panel which further enriched my knowledge.

2126 - 2150 of 2,254 Reviews for Writing in the Sciences

By Kai S

Jun 29, 2022

T​his was a very well-structured course. The practice assignments were helpful and I feel like it was a really nice refresher or introduction in scientific writing - in all of its forms. Dr. Sainani is a very good instructor. She clearly and concisely explained each topic. I felt the section on references tended towards some opinion on Dr. Sainani's part, but it was very useful to hear.

By Peter P

Jun 16, 2021

E​xcellent content and presentations by Dr Sainani, I learned many good techniques and tips. The grant writing videos by guest speakers are a bit dry and lack Dr Sainani's drive, but nonetheless contain important information. Some good reading list recommendations. I highly recommend this course, and although some of it is looking very slightly dated the writing and gammar tips never age.

By K T S

Jul 8, 2018

Overall I really liked this course. Even with many years of experience in writing and publishing papers, I learnt a lot. There were certain instances where I did not agree with Dr. Sainani's recommendations. But one's writing choice and style sometimes boils down to personal taste and the scientific content. I hope there is an advanced version of this course in the near future.

By Stacey C

Oct 8, 2020

I really enjoyed the beginning part of this course, with lots of tips on how to remove clutter, cut out jargon and improve clarity. The latter part of the course- discussing how to do media interviews etc. didn't feel like it belonged in the course. I loved the parts that focused on preparing manuscripts, as that will have a lot of value to me down the road.

By Ashley H

Dec 4, 2019

This was a really great course and was worth my time. It provided me with a number of strategies to make my science writing clear and succinct without losing important scientific concepts needed for my field. It also had me consider best practices in summarizing my findings for audiences outside of my field, outside of science, and for the public.

By Viktor P

Mar 29, 2022

Very valuable and giving non-credit course! I learned a lot that I will be applying for my next manuscript! Some of the material was a bit outdated unfortunately (videos clearly filmed in 2012, and homework relating to articles from 2017 that had since then been retracted and were irrelevant), but otherwise it was great!

By Chip N

Aug 3, 2022

Good course for basics of writing science papers if you've never done this before. I think it might have helped me prior to my first master's degree...but having done one already, there was very little here that I hadn't learned on my own. Still, a good overview if you're new to this sort of writing.

By Óscar R

Feb 16, 2021

Excellent course. Dr. Kristin Sainani shares her knowledge and expertise in 8 weeks of simple and complete lessons. I encourage every person involve in Science to take a course like this. Communication and dissemination of your research is as important as the research itself.

By Thomas P D

May 15, 2020

This course is applicable to both beginning and experienced writers. I took this course as a refresher and found it worthwhile. Units 1-6 were most helpful with units 7-8 less so but these units are focused on those in Academia. Overall, a good course and worth the time.

By Lorrie C

Mar 29, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. It challenged me coming from a non-scientist background. I work in a hospital and am exposed daily to medical terms which is what brought me to the course. Overall I feel that I improved my skill set which allows me to advance my career.

By Vignesh R

Oct 1, 2020

Thank you Dr. Kristin Sainani for your wonderful lecture, facilitated learning by making this course easier and I've improved my writing skills significantly. Thanks to Coursera for bringing Writing in the Sciences, and I recommend everyone to enroll in this course.

By Al S

Aug 8, 2020

The course was very informative and easy to understand for a lay person like me who has no relation to medicine or academiics . kristin was brilliant.. I loved the course. My only suggestion is to use non scientific examples sometimes so It'd be easier and more fun.

By Gabriela A

Jun 25, 2021

I​t is a very useful introduction to writing in the sciences covering most areas of scientific communication. I was already experienced in writing articles so that part felt a little bit lengthy for me. Thank you very much for this course, I have enjoyed it a lot.

By Fatima A

Apr 22, 2020

Every type of science-related writing is explained; some extraordinary and some boring. But the course is very fulfilling and definitely worth your while. It polishes your knowledge of writing and gives you the proper meaning of writing in the sciences. Good luck

By Tímea T

Sep 28, 2021

For me it was a bit too centered around biological/medical sciences so some of the lectures were not so relevant for me (a mathematician). Other than that the course was great, I learned a lot, and I'm actively using the knowledge that I obtained.

By Adam P

Aug 1, 2020

I found this course very helpful in pointing out some things in writing I hadn't though of before or didn't realize I was doing which made my writing less clear and concise. The hands-on exercises helped to solidify the concepts in the lessons.

By Noe N

Feb 20, 2022

Thank you, the founder of this course. Dr. Christina. This course help me a lot. My knowledge of writing in the science really improves. I advise those who want to initaite their Science Writing Knowkedge should join the course.

Thank you.

By Rebecca J

Jun 8, 2020

Great information for the most part, but some of it was clearly outdated (2012, etc.) and restructured without adjusting the content to reflect the changes. I did really appreciate the general tips and practice in editing/publishing.

By Preeti L S

Aug 6, 2019

It's a great course that provides a great perspective on academic writing. I especially enjoyed the interviews that were included. However, some of the content does seem a bit old, newer versions would be great and more relatable.

By Gisa J

Aug 13, 2022

I​t is a very interesting and unconventional course. One can learn much more than only writing. Of course, it comes with the zeitgeist of how the hard sciences survive at this moment. Nevertheless, I recommend.

By Cristina C

Aug 14, 2019

I thought this was extremely helpful and insightful. I do not like waiting on other to review my submissions. I don't have control over what others do. And I don't have time to plea with others to do so.

By Molly S

Jul 19, 2021

Great review and help writing papers! I liked the editing sections and how to keep your paper sounding precise but not too wordy. Some of the sections were a bit long, but otherwise very helpful! Thanks!

By Johan L

Mar 1, 2021

The teacher is very concise and all videos have clear learning goals. You don't spend 5 minutes without learning something. Week 7 and 8 are not that relevant to scientific writing and are a bit boring.

By Gabriel B V

Oct 24, 2020

A good course in general. The first few weeks are really hard for people who are not native English speakers. You should consider the assignments based that not everyone is a native English speaker.

By Sarah C

Could use more variety in journal examples. Course was a little heavy on medical biology; it would've been nice having examples from other sciences as well. Otherwise, very helpful course.