Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG

Jul 2, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

NL

Feb 9, 2021

Excellent introduction to Calculus, I wanted to review the material to tutor my child but I am very happy that I learned a whole new way of looking at Calculus.

Thank you so much Prof. Ghrist.

376 - 400 of 498 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Jul 15, 2017

Great

By Mr.Raman C

Jun 11, 2022

Good

By Chandrashekhar A B

Apr 20, 2022

good

By 戴香奕

Dec 7, 2020

good

By Suvarna

Aug 20, 2020

Good

By Kunal V

Mar 5, 2020

Good

By 李松涛

Mar 23, 2019

good

By 顾雪

Mar 30, 2017

good

By 星 田

Jan 24, 2016

Jun 19, 2016

Q

By Helena R

Apr 14, 2020

The course is *incredibly* difficult, there's no getting around that. I walked into the course with prior exposure to calculus and even did well on the diagnostic test, and I'm here to tell you: it is HARD. That being said, it is rewarding and my knowledge of calculus was expanded way beyond what I learned in high school. The only reason I'm giving the course 4 stars instead of 5 is because 1- the lectures are very short and don't go into extensive detail. I'm sure this is fine for a lot of people, but for me personally I usually like to go into a lot of depth when it comes to math because that helps me understand what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. You're for sure going to need to use outside sources like Khan Academy if you need anything within the course expanded on. Overall, I'd recommend the course if you need to widen your calculus knowledge and if you're looking for a challenge.

By hamid m

Dec 26, 2020

it was a great class. i'm glad that i took it. i would recommend it

it was rather abstract; the problems were complicated and involved, emphasizing calculation rather than theory. the course has a narrow and limited focus

i realize the traditional route (calc 1, calc 2, calc 3, etc), however, there is another calc 1 class that was offered before this one that was completely different - different topics and emphasis on different subject matter. i would rather be able to take them both. i would like to take calc 1, this version, & calc 1, previous version. i don't see why the previous calc 1 class was replaced by this one

By Carlene S d F

Apr 26, 2021

The Course is only worthwhile if you already have a sense of Calculus. I did not think that the material provided was sufficient to solve the problems of the course. Even though I already had exposure to Calculus and mathematical physics, I found some exercises quite difficult. If you are not from the hard sciences, this course may not be the most suitable. Khan Academy is more introductory. But at the beginning of the course, there is a placement test to find out if the person is able or not to start the module. This can serve as a basis if the person has mastered the necessary prior knowledge.