Back to The Science of the Solar System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of the Solar System by Caltech

Learn about the science behind the current exploration of the solar system in this free class. Use principles from physics, chemistry, biology, and geology to understand the latest from Mars, comprehend the outer solar system, ponder planets outside our solar system, and search for habitability in our neighborhood and beyond. This course is generally taught at an advanced level assuming a prior knowledge of undergraduate math and physics, but the majority of the concepts and lectures can be understood without these prerequisites. The quizzes and final exam are designed to make you think critically about the material you have learned rather than to simply make you memorize facts. The class is expected to be challenging but rewarding....

CE
Mar 3, 2020

Learning facilitated by good lecturing, well prepared lectures and excellent quizzes.\n\nLecturer Mike Brown, enthusiastic about his subject, generous in sharing his knowledge, humorous, and honest.

PK
May 24, 2019

The lectures are engaging and replete with thought provoking material. Professor Brown's in depth knowledge of the field and his passion for planetary science aroused an everlasting curiosity.

51 - 75 of 216 Reviews for The Science of the Solar System

By Buğrahan Y

Oct 5, 2020

I am really happy to be able to take and finish this course. The instructor and other professors were amazing and I have learnt amazing stuff. Thanks to everyone who participated on creating this course. I definitely achieved my goals from this course that I desired along the course. I will recommend this course to everyone I know who is interested in space and our solar system. Thanks for everything.

By Monika K

Apr 27, 2016

I love Prof Brown's enthusiasm. He is very engaging, clearly he enjoys reaching so many students around the world. His efforts are much appreciated!

I'm taking this course more from data science's point of view. I need to understand concepts and a bit of physics and maths in order to run my tests but not to the degree of an astronomer (not yet, anyway). It's been hugely educational and interesting.

By Luis A

Apr 4, 2016

While there are a few technical issues, this is an awesome course. Not only is it is very detailed and informative, but entertaining and sometimes even amusing. Being so detailed and informative, a lot of the material is quite challenging. The tests in particular are tough. However, I highly recommend this course because it will make you really appreciate astronomy as a field and the solar system.

By Dr. I D

Dec 21, 2016

The Science of the Solar System is well worth taking and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in astronomy. Professor Brown is a wonderful teacher; he presents the course lectures in a style that promotes understanding, explaining facts carefully and fluently, often with a touch of humour. The guest lecturers also present their contributions in a focused and enjoyable manner.

By Cade H

Jun 21, 2017

This is an excellent course. It covers a wide range of interesting topics in a technical but accessible way. The information is "layered" such that students of different technical backgrounds can all participate and each take the appropriate level of detail away. Dr. Brown communicates clearly and engagingly, and he is an astronomical "rock star" taking time to teach all comers.

By Terry L L

Jul 18, 2017

I am a social scientist and this course filled a very large void in my knowledge. While data for social scientists are gathered in the here-and-now with subjects being only a few feet away, I have learned to respect how astromers must gatherdata points that are millions of years old AND millions of miles away. Good luck, Professor Brown, with your work on Lucy!

By Jorfel A O M

Mar 2, 2021

Thanks to Professor Mike, I was able to expand my horizons about the big questions that bring our corner of the universe. I am a Venezuelan about to graduate as an electronic engineer and I have worked as a scientific disseminator specialized in astronomy, I am looking to do a master's degree soon and this course gave me enormous tools to advance my objectives.

By Astrophel S

Nov 26, 2020

Course is precise, engaging and relevant to understand challenging vast contents. Prof. Brown's teaching style has broaden my understanding of Solar system. All lectures comes with clearly detailed explanations.The course is well suited for novice to advance students. All in all enthusiastic Prof. successfully delivers a research and evidence-based course.

By Ertan Y

Sep 20, 2017

Awesome! Completing this course gave me the ability to form my own opinions about developments of space exploration. I learned not just raw info about the solar system but also the methods the astronomers use in order to explore the universe and find out about its origins, going back billions of years ago. Just what I expected from this course.

By Muhammad S A

Jan 20, 2021

If you're into astrophysics, astrobiology or planetary sciences then this course is a must for you. It would not only allow you to enhance your existing knowledge about the topic but would also aid you if you're pursuing a degree in Planetary Sciences or any other space-related field. I would highly recommend you all to enrolll in this course.

By Kim

May 28, 2017

The more you hear in this class, the more you will look up at the night sky in awe and wonder. Do it, and tell a friend! :-)

The video lectures are a fantastic and entertaining look at the puzzles of our solar system, how some of the answers are being teased out, and the special world of astronomy in general.

By Ritabrata M

Jan 2, 2017

Incredible Content on Display. Amazing Execution by the Profs. Besides fundamental prerequisites of physics and math(which are required) ,each topic is taken up from scratch and dealt with respect to its application.No wonder Caltech is the world leader in planetary science.Go Ahead and immerse yourselves!

By William M

Jan 15, 2018

Truly an outstanding course by an incredibly gifted Planetary Scientist and teacher. The course was thorough, demanding and comprehensive. Additionally, some of the course information conveys the latest scientific thinking, more up to date than some of the latest textbooks on Planetary Science.

By Valentin P

May 31, 2017

A challenging course with great informative and entertaining video lessons. You will get to learn some surprising facts about what we know and what we don't know about the members of our solar system. It is one of the best courses in this subject area (astronomy, space, etc) in all of Coursera.

By V P

Jun 6, 2020

Loved the lectures series by Professor Mike Brown. So interesting and humorous way of teaching which makes learning so fun and spellbinding! Would love to learn more from Professor Mike Brown about his thought-provoking insights of the composition of dwarf planets and the Kuiper belt.

By Dean F

May 2, 2020

I highly recommend this course. Mike Brown is exceptional at making learning enjoyable and the course materials go beyond that of which I expected. If you have even the smallest inkling of interest of how things work in the solar system, I suggest you check this course out!

By Stephen L H

Aug 31, 2020

I particularly enjoyed the final exam. It's rare to find an exam written that reinforces the course material in the process of taking the exam and figuring out which statement among many is false requires considerable review to answer. Very, very cool class and thanks.

By David M

Jun 1, 2016

The was the best course I've taken through Coursera. The material was fascinating. The instructor has a great enthusiasm for the topic and delivers his lectures in an engaging style. The test and quizzes were quite challenging. Can't recommend highly enough.

By Bruce J A

Jul 30, 2017

Anyone wanting to know basic current information about our Solar System and the new missions that support the continued discovery in this field should take this course. Professor Brown you did a superior job creating this very informative course, thank you.

By Yannis L

Sep 7, 2020

super-informative, if a little outdated knowledge about our Solar System... provides a SOLID foundation of the extraordinary amount of science that happens behind every major announcement of the last decade... a stunning achievement of public outreach!

By Jon A

May 30, 2017

Such an awesome course from an awesome instructor! Challenging but well worth the effort. I took this course a couple years ago, and want to re-take it now to see what's new with Europe, Jupiter, Saturn, Titan, Pluto, and Planet Nine!! Keep exploring!

By YiFan ( Z

Jul 5, 2018

Absolutely fantastic; stunned at the detail and complexity in which the material is covered with. The Instructor is very engaging and he has a genuine passion for this topic. The material is challenging but manageable. Definitely will recommend.

By Jennifer S

Feb 26, 2021

Very interesting content in bite-size chunks & explained for all levels of understanding. Gives a great overview of how the solar system & everything within it formed and teaches you how to use the tools you have to critically analyse results

By Maria A C T

Apr 23, 2019

Muy didáctico. Bien diseñado. Los instructores hacen muy interesante y agradable el aprendizaje. Es un curso completo del que se puede aprender ademas del contenido en sí, cómo preparar un buen curso.

Felicitaciones por la excelente calidad

By Tee S Y

Jul 19, 2020

A wonderful course! It is challenging yet, Prof. Browns guide us through in an easy manner. This is my first exposure to astronomy, the craters and boring photos now look much more interesting to me! Thank you so much!